Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Old Mar 15th 2006, 2:43 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all
Default Re: My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Sydney? Sydney is the Australian hole of holes. It's like London with sunshine.
I certainly disagree-its not London with the Sun either-its an amazing city
Old Mar 15th 2006, 5:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Originally Posted by Wol
>>The will of the people is definitely there; Australians are environmentally conscious, and would love to do more for the planet if they could. But they are stifled by weak governments, powerful lobby groups and bent politicians with conflicts of interest.<<

Oh, purleeese!

Are we talking about the country which has more rubbish lying around than anywhere else I've seen?
Where else have you seen? You can't have visited London or the West Midlands lately.

Where having six children seems to be something to be celebrated?
No statistics quoted for that one, I see. Never mind.

As it happens, the average married Australian couple has two children.

Moreover...

The average household size in Australia is projected to decline from 2.6 people per household in 2001 to between 2.2 and 2.3 people per household in 2026.
Source.

Anyway, even if some people are celebrating six-child familes, what's it to you? That's their decision and they're entitled to it.

Just thank your lucky stars that your income tax isn't subsidising their every breath, as it would be if you were in the UK.

Where the average house wastes more energy through medieval insulation and air gaps than a small country in the Balkans uses in a year?
Statistics notable by absence.

Where new homes have to have energy-intensively-produced rainwater tanks, pumps and plumbing to save water for the washing machine?
Sounds like a sensible idea to me. Are you aware that water shortages are a big problem in my country?

And skylights to save a few watts on lighting at the expense of hundreds of watts of heat loss?
How much heat do you lose through a skylight, exactly? I'm curious to know.

There are too many people sitting around banging on about the environment while at the same time chucking their McDonald's wrappers to the ground!
Well, you could say that about any country.

I'm afraid that tree-hugging is full of good intentions but in the end the second law will beat us all if we continue to overpopulate.
You got that one right!

And isn't it priceless that they've just discovered that trees produce hundreds of millions of tonnes of methane - a far more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2 - making tree-planting a bit suspect!
I appreciate the irony, yes.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 5:05 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: My Top 10 Aussie Gripes

Originally Posted by arkon
You forgot to mention all the critters and plants they have wiped out by introducing things like cows. rabbits and frogs for starters.
"They"?

Oh, I've just realised - you meant the British.

Australians didn't have anything to do with the introduction of these animals.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:38 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Breezey
Funny-the thing that strikes me in the UK is the lack of shops in small towns-how many small English towns have an independant baker in the centre.
I'm sorry but why are you quoting me here?? My post was in reference to Hutchs comments on middle class people coming in and taking over a place with no regard to what the locals think or say.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=15

and I live in the Derbyshire Dales a lot of little villages, we still have local butchers, bakers and no doubt even candlestick makers!
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Heck, you can't force people to do stuff they don't want to at the end of the day, so I'd never think it should be mandetory, but energy supplies and changing weather are going to mean we will HAVE to change or we'll die out. The world will be fine ... it'll be us who won't. It therefore makes sense to be as green as possible.
If you don't care, then fine. Eventually you will as will everyone I think.

I actually do appreciate the fact that people like yourself do care enough to think about changing the world. My problem is after years of the scare tactics used by Greenpeace and the other financial groups that have climbed aboard the green movement, I sense a money making Juggernaut exploiting peoples fears.

The green movement lost me, when several scientists pointed out, that the rise in Carbon levels may well have happened several times over the life of this planet. Also the total rejection of the relatively clean and cheap Nuclear power, which seems to have it's basis in idealogical principles rather than practical ones. Every alternative that the green movement comes up with seems to lower ones living standards rather than raise it.

I was at one stage convinced the Green movement was right, now I'm not so sure.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

The green movement lost me, when several scientists pointed out, that the rise in Carbon levels may well have happened several times over the life of this planet. Also the total rejection of the relatively clean and cheap Nuclear power, which seems to have it's basis in idealogical principles rather than practical ones. Every alternative that the green movement comes up with seems to lower ones living standards rather than raise it.

I was at one stage convinced the Green movement was right, now I'm not so sure.

There may well have been huge rises in carbon levels but the question really is 'How well did creatures survive during those rises?' I really think we're going to make life so intolerable for ourselves that we will just die off in time.

I would consider myself green but I am not part of the green movement nor do I vote for them because I don't believe they could run a country.

I'm not sure that every alternative does lower living standards... For example, in the village where I live at the mo, during the '80's, they built lots of rubbishy houses, and then a law was passed that all the newer houses had to look like they'd been here a long time... heritage housing if you like, which really improved the village. On a par with that, forcing people to do things differently or think differently doesn't always mean that standards of living will decline.

Flushing a toilet with rain water is no biggie, is it? Can you imagine how much water would be saved every day?
What about it everyone had to have a solar panel in their roof during the build, so it could run, say, the washing machine?
There are many small things that people can do to help the environment ... although here's a funny thing.... solar panels usually take more resources to make than they'll ever save in your lifetime!!! So what's the point? Well, they're getting much better ... and more people are investing in alternative energies, which will mean more research into making these things better.

As for creating energy, really that's not so much the problem imo. What I think is the problem is excess consumption. Aus is only just behind America in obesity, petrol consumption, fast food etc. This is worrying to me that a country where people should in theory be able to be outside most of the year are stuck inside watching TV and getting fatter, unthinkingly eating their ready meals without a thought of where they've come from, what they've damaged in the creation of them... I hate the ethics of it more than anything...
Cutting down acres and acres of rainforest just to plant palms for palm oil ... never mind what it does to the land, but all the orangutans made homeless or shot, babies left without parents, entire ecosystems wiped out in a day, after taking thousands of years to create. They only do this because there's a demand for palm oil... from consumers... because it's cheap and goes in everything...

Sorry to go on, but no-one is thinking right. Switch the TV standby off (one of the worst users of electricity) and use water wisely.... grow more of your own food, stop consuming, get an economical car.... These are not life lowering standards ... they are things which will make us healthier.

Anyway, I've gone on enough. No-one is demanding huge sweeping changes from anyone ... just a tiny bit each would be enough... just a tiny bit of thought.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

The quality of cafes in the UK is horrible(outside of london) if they exist at all.
And thats why a full english breakky in a greasy spoon costs you £4 rather than $16 upwards in Aussie cafes. You gets what you pays for, and personally I'd prefer the UK version.

There isnt a single town in the Uk with the kind of eclectic mix of retail as one has in say, blackheath(Blue Mounts).
You've never been to Brighton ! The Lanes specifically.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:49 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think anyone has the heart to tell him that Gympie really is reknown as an absolute dump and the redneck capital of Oz.
I thought that was Mt Isa
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

One of my best family friends in Australia works in conservation, lots of people in our village display the Land for Wildlife sign. Its quite a common theme.

She still drives around in a ***** off Patrol though.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
One of my best family friends in Australia works in conservation, lots of people in our village display the Land for Wildlife sign. Its quite a common theme.

She still drives around in a ***** off Patrol though.
It's nuts isn't it!?! Who really needs that? What the hell for?
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lostpom
I did the research, and worked out you could survive on rainwater year in-year out from an average size house and garage/workshop, with 30,000L fresh and grey water tanks - like you say, bath/shower water being re-used for things like toilets.
This was my calculation for a house being self sufficent - actually it was only on 20,000L Clean and 10,000L grey tanks. The charts show the water reserves for each tank and how they change through the year. Rainfall figures sourced for my part of QLD from a goverment site.

If anyone is thinking of doing something similar, let me know and I'll send you the spreadsheet.

lostpom
Attached Thumbnails My Top 10 Aussie Gripes-auswater.jpg  
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:58 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Question:
Do you think the Aussies 'get' Little Britain, or is just laid on for the UK sourced viewing public ?

I just can't seem to get a grasp of what the Aussies see as humour (apart form winding yer mates up). I'm not having a pop at them - I just don't feel like I understand what they see as humour.
Well I grew up in nz and one of the most popular comedies I recall was 'The Young Ones' I don't watch a hell of a lot of telly but I will try to catch a couple of episodes of Little Britain to see what I think of it. I have always loved Rowan Atkinson, such a talented guy whether as Mr Bean or the Blackadder or whatever.

Aussies seem to like homegrown comedy, probably because they feel they can relate to it. Some australian comedy is very good especially shows like 'The Panel' which is comedy based on current affairs, or the now defunct 'Good News Week' Both of these were excellent in my opinon.

The Glasshouse on ABC is quite good too, though not in the same class as the former two mentioned.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Some australian comedy is very good especially shows like 'The Panel' which is comedy based on current affairs, or the now defunct 'Good News Week' Both of these were excellent in my opinon.
Gosh, I haven't even seen any sort of satirical comedy shows here, hence the feeling the Aussies aren't so well versed in taking the piss out of themselves. I've probably been too busy watching the bloody adverts !
Old Mar 15th 2006, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

This was my calculation for a house being self sufficent - actually it was only on 20,000L Clean and 10,000L grey tanks. The charts show the water reserves for each tank and how they change through the year. Rainfall figures sourced for my part of QLD from a goverment site.

If anyone is thinking of doing something similar, let me know and I'll send you the spreadsheet.

lostpom
Lost, that's great! Thanks for putting that up.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

Gosh, I haven't even seen any sort of satirical comedy shows here, hence the feeling the Aussies aren't so well versed in taking the piss out of themselves. I've probably been too busy watching the bloody adverts !
Lots of funny aussie humour ... What was that one we got over here recently ... Someone and Kim ...
Then there was the guy who used to be a lawyer ... dang it - I can't remember -
\

Please Sir, may I be excused? My brain is full.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.