Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

job/company search

job/company search

Old Oct 4th 2013, 7:14 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job/company search

Originally Posted by Fanof stockcarracing217
My understanding is you can't start your gap training without having found an employer to sign off certain competances, is that correct?
Also have you found any other training necessary or useful?
There is some stuff you need to get done - wiring rules, OH&S and Elec rescue was covered at Peer before I found a job. After that it's just working through the 'log book' side of things when you find an employer
Old Oct 5th 2013, 9:27 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

We needed a spark recently and a young English lad turned up. I was asking him about his licence and he had taken the approach to just get here and cram at college to get the A class licence. So before even trying to find work he got his paperwork done. Not sure exactly what.I brought a woman over from UK to work for me and her husband is a spark, took him 12 months to get his A class and even now is working in unrelated field.

Check the WA government websites for rules and also there is another forum on here somewhere specifically for sparks.

Lastly coming in December is a pretty dire time fo year to find work, everything is winding down for the big summer/Xmas break. Typically thisngs pick p again toward end of Jan.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 9:45 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
We needed a spark recently and a young English lad turned up. I was asking him about his licence and he had taken the approach to just get here and cram at college to get the A class licence. So before even trying to find work he got his paperwork done. Not sure exactly what.I brought a woman over from UK to work for me and her husband is a spark, took him 12 months to get his A class and even now is working in unrelated field.

Check the WA government websites for rules and also there is another forum on here somewhere specifically for sparks.

Lastly coming in December is a pretty dire time fo year to find work, everything is winding down for the big summer/Xmas break. Typically thisngs pick p again toward end of Jan.
The electricians forum is here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

UK sparkies coming over on skilled visa have to do OTSR for skills assessment. This means that you can only get supervised license on arrival, and have to do 12 months logbook as well as TAFE / RTO courses. WHV can apply for ARTC when they have Oz address, although recent changes mean that they will also now have to do 12 months supervised before they can get A license, unless in SA where they can do wiring rules and get A license with ARTC.

It's quite frustrating really as OTSR involves proving your quals and experience, and doing both theory and practical tests at a cost of around $2800. When you get here you have another $2500 of courses, and you still have to do 12 months supervised if you can get someone to give you a start.