British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   job/company search (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/job-company-search-810837/)

Fanof stockcarracing217 Sep 30th 2013 10:41 pm

job/company search

Hi, could any body recommend a busness directory website, i want to use it to locate companies in the mandurah area to start distributing my CV before arriving in country:fingerscrossed:

Bermudashorts Sep 30th 2013 10:43 pm

Re: job/company search

Do you know what, if you are planning that type of approach, I honestly think you would be better off waiting until you get here. You do it now, they take one look, see you are not here and put your letter in the bin. Whereas if you are here, immediately available, could be a differen story.

Fanof stockcarracing217 Sep 30th 2013 10:46 pm

Yes i do agree , but just trying to get additional sources together as way of preperation . thanks

verystormy Oct 1st 2013 12:18 am

What sort of job are you looking for?

Dorothy Oct 1st 2013 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Fanof stockcarracing217 (Post 10924892)
Hi, could any body recommend a busness directory website, i want to use it to locate companies in the mandurah area to start distributing my CV before arriving in country:fingerscrossed:

You could try a google search or look in the White Pages directory online.

As Verystormy asks, what kind of job are you looking for? It's really going to depend on that whether it's worth you sending CVs. If you're in a highly sought after trade it would be different than if you work as a check-out chick at Tesco's.

Have you got a visa yet? And if so, what type? Note that some (read a lot) of employers are reluctant to hire dependants on 457s, so if you're coming on a permanent visa that would be better for you.

Fanof stockcarracing217 Oct 1st 2013 11:48 am

We have all visas in place we will be arriving begining of Dec , my husband is an electrical engineer, we have tried google search , it is a 4 year visa but after 2 years we can apply for permanant . Thanks .

Bermudashorts Oct 1st 2013 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Fanof stockcarracing217 (Post 10925573)
We have all visas in place we will be arriving begining of Dec , my husband is an electrical engineer, we have tried google search , it is a 4 year visa but after 2 years we can apply for permanant . Thanks .

Do you mean you have the provisional skilled migrant visa?

Fanof stockcarracing217 Oct 1st 2013 8:19 pm

Yes i thinkit is

Pollyana Oct 1st 2013 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Fanof stockcarracing217 (Post 10926403)
Yes i thinkit is

Friendly bit of advice - you need to be absolutely sure which visa it is, and what the class/subclass number is, as many visas have clauses on them - especially the temporary and provisional visas. If you are looking to get PR then you need to be clear in your mind as to what visa you have and what rules you need to follow, otherwise you may find you inadvertently make yourself ineligible at the PR point.

Fanof stockcarracing217 Oct 1st 2013 10:14 pm

yes i have a 489 state provisional skilled sponsorship to work as an electrician

verystormy Oct 1st 2013 11:44 pm

There isn't really a directory. I would have a look at the mandurah mail which is the free local paper. Lots of sparks advertise in there.

My guess though is you won't get much response until you are here.

old.sparkles Oct 2nd 2013 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Fanof stockcarracing217 (Post 10926558)
yes i have a 489 state provisional skilled sponsorship to work as an electrician

Electrical work is a licensed trade - I think you can apply for your supervised workers license ahead of arriving in Australia. You may also want to check out where you can do the additional study you will need - OH&S, Electrical rescue, wiring rules, etc. I found it easier applying direct to companies recruiting for themselves, rather than agencies as agencies often bin the application when they see that you do not have the full A-license.

Fanof stockcarracing217 Oct 3rd 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks for especially the bit about A-grade licence. I have been a bit concerned about most of theadvertised jobs ask for full licence, but i would expect alot of migrants will be holding provisional licences for 12months.
Do you think job searching is harder with a provisional licence

old.sparkles Oct 3rd 2013 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Fanof stockcarracing217 (Post 10929639)
Thanks for especially the bit about A-grade licence. I have been a bit concerned about most of theadvertised jobs ask for full licence, but i would expect alot of migrants will be holding provisional licences for 12months.
Do you think job searching is harder with a provisional licence

Definitely - took me 5 months to find a job - some people get lucky, but some take longer than that to find work. And you've got the cost of the extra training to worry about.

Fanof stockcarracing217 Oct 3rd 2013 10:41 pm

My understanding is you can't start your gap training without having found an employer to sign off certain competances, is that correct?
Also have you found any other training necessary or useful?