Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Be careful, snakes are on the move

Be careful, snakes are on the move

Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Be careful, snakes are on the move

Just be careful now that it's springtime and snakes are on the move. Doesn't matter whether you live on 5 acres (like we do) or in an urban area, they can be anywhere. Often seen along pathways down to the beach too. No need to panic - but just be a little cautious. If you've got some overgrown shrub that needs trimming, don't just shove your hand in there, poke around with a rake or spade first. There are snake-catchers who will come out and capture snakes (they are protected, you're not supposed to kill them) and these details are often published in local newspapers as a reminder each year. Find out what your local number is and store it in your phone. If you're out and about, walking down to the beach for instance, and you see a snake lying across the path, it will probably be more afraid of you and slither away. If if doesn't, stand still so that the snake feels that there is no danger imminent and hopefully it will move on. Don't attempt to run past it! Probably safer to back away slowly, and take a different route. I did see a snake once as I was walking along a tourist path to a lighthouse, there were lots of people around standing completely still taking photos. The snake didn't feel threatened and after a while, just slithered off back into some bushes.

Most snake bites (to humans) happen when you try to kill the snake, naturally the thing will want to defend itself. And the snake is still capable of delivering a deadly bite for a couple of hours after being decapitated. The body will wriggle around for ages (it's freakish) but you can pick it up ok to put in the bin. The head though - use a spade at arm's length - there was a guy in Perth a few years ago who killed a snake in his garden and got bitten when he picked the head up. When the ambulance arrived, the man was close to death. Go onto the St John website to check out the procedure for dealing with a snake bite. Basically - don't try to suck out the venom, keep the person calm and still and wrap their limb tightly with a bandage to stop the venom spreading. Send for an ambulance, they will need to get to hospital asap. If your dog gets bitten, first aid is the same but speed is of the essence getting them to the vets - for the antivenin to be effective it needs to be administered within minutes, certainly within the hour. Having said that, be prepared for treatment to be VERY expensive, average cost is $3000 and could go as high as $8000 and the dog may suffer complications afterwards too (kidney failure usually) and even death a few months later. We always knew, like a lot of others, that we wouldn't be able to afford snake bite treatment if the worst happened and we know of many people who have lost their dogs to snakes.

Sadly my dog found out the hard way yesterday that it's not a good idea to shove your face into a bush where a snake might be lurking. As a Beagle, she always had her nose to the ground sniffing out all the new smells in the garden every morning. When I heard all the barking and commotion (my two Beagles going crazy) I was shocked to see Tina shaking a Tiger Snake in her mouth. In the moment, I was more concerned for my own safety than the dogs (I could have been bitten by a snake or by the dogs fighting over it). After I managed to get the dogs away and shut up in their pen, I went back to deal with the snake, which had several nasty puncture wounds along its body. I had no choice but to put it out of its misery (with a spade). I checked both dogs all over and they seemed fine, but after an hour or so, I came across a pile of vomit and couldn't be sure which dog it belonged to. Over the course of the next hour, Tina also got diarrhoea and started walking back and forth in a confused state and panting, but Toby remained fine. Her back legs went wobbly, and I knew then it was only a matter of time. She's never been one for lap cuddles, and even in her poorly state she didn't want to be in my arms, but I stayed with her out in the garden. She took herself off to her kennel and went into a deep sleep, wagging her tail about and twitching like she often did; I think she was dreaming about battling that snake still. She died shortly after. Thankfully it was all over fairly quickly for her.

R.I.P. Tina January 2004 - September 2013
Attached Thumbnails Be careful, snakes are on the move-tina.jpg  
Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:36 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be careful, snakes are on the move

Jacqui, thanks for the warning - such sad news though

((((hugs))))
Old Oct 1st 2013, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jacqui
Just be careful now that it's springtime and snakes are on the move. Doesn't matter whether you live on 5 acres (like we do) or in an urban area, they can be anywhere. Often seen along pathways down to the beach too. No need to panic - but just be a little cautious. If you've got some overgrown shrub that needs trimming, don't just shove your hand in there, poke around with a rake or spade first. There are snake-catchers who will come out and capture snakes (they are protected, you're not supposed to kill them) and these details are often published in local newspapers as a reminder each year. Find out what your local number is and store it in your phone. If you're out and about, walking down to the beach for instance, and you see a snake lying across the path, it will probably be more afraid of you and slither away. If if doesn't, stand still so that the snake feels that there is no danger imminent and hopefully it will move on. Don't attempt to run past it! Probably safer to back away slowly, and take a different route. I did see a snake once as I was walking along a tourist path to a lighthouse, there were lots of people around standing completely still taking photos. The snake didn't feel threatened and after a while, just slithered off back into some bushes.

Most snake bites (to humans) happen when you try to kill the snake, naturally the thing will want to defend itself. And the snake is still capable of delivering a deadly bite for a couple of hours after being decapitated. The body will wriggle around for ages (it's freakish) but you can pick it up ok to put in the bin. The head though - use a spade at arm's length - there was a guy in Perth a few years ago who killed a snake in his garden and got bitten when he picked the head up. When the ambulance arrived, the man was close to death. Go onto the St John website to check out the procedure for dealing with a snake bite. Basically - don't try to suck out the venom, keep the person calm and still and wrap their limb tightly with a bandage to stop the venom spreading. Send for an ambulance, they will need to get to hospital asap. If your dog gets bitten, first aid is the same but speed is of the essence getting them to the vets - for the antivenin to be effective it needs to be administered within minutes, certainly within the hour. Having said that, be prepared for treatment to be VERY expensive, average cost is $3000 and could go as high as $8000 and the dog may suffer complications afterwards too (kidney failure usually) and even death a few months later. We always knew, like a lot of others, that we wouldn't be able to afford snake bite treatment if the worst happened and we know of many people who have lost their dogs to snakes.

Sadly my dog found out the hard way yesterday that it's not a good idea to shove your face into a bush where a snake might be lurking. As a Beagle, she always had her nose to the ground sniffing out all the new smells in the garden every morning. When I heard all the barking and commotion (my two Beagles going crazy) I was shocked to see Tina shaking a Tiger Snake in her mouth. In the moment, I was more concerned for my own safety than the dogs (I could have been bitten by a snake or by the dogs fighting over it). After I managed to get the dogs away and shut up in their pen, I went back to deal with the snake, which had several nasty puncture wounds along its body. I had no choice but to put it out of its misery (with a spade). I checked both dogs all over and they seemed fine, but after an hour or so, I came across a pile of vomit and couldn't be sure which dog it belonged to. Over the course of the next hour, Tina also got diarrhoea and started walking back and forth in a confused state and panting, but Toby remained fine. Her back legs went wobbly, and I knew then it was only a matter of time. She's never been one for lap cuddles, and even in her poorly state she didn't want to be in my arms, but I stayed with her out in the garden. She took herself off to her kennel and went into a deep sleep, wagging her tail about and twitching like she often did; I think she was dreaming about battling that snake still. She died shortly after. Thankfully it was all over fairly quickly for her.

Oh I'm sorry, this made me cry! sorry for your loss x
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:55 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

So sad to hear about Tina - she will no doubt be missed after you having her for 9 years :-(

Thanks for sharing this story as a reminder of what we need to look for and how to manage snakes - like you say they are now out and about.

RIP on rainbow bridge Tina x
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future

Awww, so sad indeed! Thanks for the warning!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry for your loss and thank you for your post.

There are some dangerous critters out there, I nearly lost my Edward to a paralysis tick in our first year here, will never forget that.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Having said that, be prepared for treatment to be VERY expensive, average cost is $3000 and could go as high as $8000 and the dog may suffer complications afterwards too (kidney failure usually) and even death a few months later. We always knew, like a lot of others, that we wouldn't be able to afford snake bite treatment if the worst happened and we know of many people who have lost their dogs to snakes.
That's a very sad story. Very sorry to hear that.

I would hate to think that the cost prevented you from saving your dog. $3000 is a lot of money, and an awful decision to make. Dog or $3000. I would also hate to think that vets aren't inflating these fee's because dog owners under such circumstances are in such a tough position. Perhaps it does cost $3000 worth of drugs and time. I don't know.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:23 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That's a very sad story. Very sorry to hear that.

I would hate to think that the cost prevented you from saving your dog. $3000 is a lot of money, and an awful decision to make. Dog or $3000. I would also hate to think that vets aren't inflating these fee's because dog owners under such circumstances are in such a tough position. Perhaps it does cost $3000 worth of drugs and time. I don't know.
Very sorry to hear of your loss. Your other doggy will feel the loss of their mate too.

Beoz, apparently the cost is so high because the anti-venom has a very short shelf life, so vets need to keep buying and discarding it. Also dogs that have been bitten by a venomous snake often need life support and intensive care for a while as their respiratory function is impaired. I fully understand that some dog owners just don't have that sort of money. An alternative, although a sad one, is for the vet to euthanize the dog to prevent further suffering.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Very sorry to hear of your loss. Your other doggy will feel the loss of their mate too.

Beoz, apparently the cost is so high because the anti-venom has a very short shelf life, so vets need to keep buying and discarding it. Also dogs that have been bitten by a venomous snake often need life support and intensive care for a while as their respiratory function is impaired. I fully understand that some dog owners just don't have that sort of money. An alternative, although a sad one, is for the vet to euthanize the dog to prevent further suffering.
Fair enough ..... as I said " Perhaps it does cost $3000 worth of drugs and time. I don't know"

Just seems a little unfair to put a dog and people through so much trauma over money.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:14 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I think most pet insurance covers the cost of snake bites, we have that level of cover on our policy.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your dog and thanks for highlighting the dangers of snakes. I didn't know they could "live" on that long after decapitation.

You are right about beach pathways, we had a little lad get bitten last year on a bushy path that runs along the back of our local beach. Fortunately he was okay but I avoid going down there now!

Whilst we are talking about animals and vet bills etc, if you have a cat please don't bring Lillies into the house, they are allergic to the pollen. My cattery lady told me a story of two cats who were exposed to the pollen (the flowers were bought by a friend of the cats owner), it was a slightly older cat and a young one. Unfortunately they got very sick, life support and everything and the little one didn't make it the older one is recovering but it has cost the owners over $20k! It sounds like the emergency vets didn't act as quickly as maybe they could have done so the cats had to undergo more tests & medication which pushed the price up. So if you have animals please check as to what is poison to them. Fortunately I've know about this for years but not many people do.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:38 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
Sorry to hear about your dog and thanks for highlighting the dangers of snakes. I didn't know they could "live" on that long after decapitation.

You are right about beach pathways, we had a little lad get bitten last year on a bushy path that runs along the back of our local beach. Fortunately he was okay but I avoid going down there now!

Whilst we are talking about animals and vet bills etc, if you have a cat please don't bring Lillies into the house, they are allergic to the pollen. My cattery lady told me a story of two cats who were exposed to the pollen (the flowers were bought by a friend of the cats owner), it was a slightly older cat and a young one. Unfortunately they got very sick, life support and everything and the little one didn't make it the older one is recovering but it has cost the owners over $20k! It sounds like the emergency vets didn't act as quickly as maybe they could have done so the cats had to undergo more tests & medication which pushed the price up. So if you have animals please check as to what is poison to them. Fortunately I've know about this for years but not many people do.
wow I'd no idea lilies did this to cats so thanks for sharing mate

http://www.drkatrina.com/yourpet/Cat...ityincats.aspx
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
wow I'd no idea lilies did this to cats so thanks for sharing mate

http://www.drkatrina.com/yourpet/Cat...ityincats.aspx
Me neither. Thank goodness they are not my pick of flowers.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Me neither. Thank goodness they are not my pick of flowers.
Yeh I love them - but love my cat more.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear this devastating news

And thank you for the info on lilies too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.