Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

High Court rules Australia must take asylum seekers

High Court rules Australia must take asylum seekers

Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:14 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: High Court rules Australia must take asylum seekers

Originally Posted by NedKelly
You are seriously mixing up asylum seekers and economic refugees. So what if some countries take proportionally more than others.
Economic refugee!! Thats a new one. There are economic migrants of the legal and illegal type. If other countries are taking more why does it matter that people skip a few nations before claiming assylum in the UK? NIMBYism.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:42 am
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bondipom
why does it matter that people skip a few nations before claiming assylum in the UK?
Just side stepping the thread intent for a while---could I perhaps invoke some rolleyes and mention values! The basic structure on which we base our lives. Good ole BondiPom seems to have overlooked that there are laws and conventions in place. Just like the ones that were applied when presumably, he inititated a visa application to live and work in Australia. Applying his "values" I fail to see why he bothered. Why not just move in a hide away from authority? The UK..unfortunately - has always been a "humanitarian" nation - its now taken to mean "a soft touch" - and allowed in migrants. Yes we know we opened the doors to the "black" nations in the 50,s but lets not forget the £10 assisted passage offered by Australia.
Now it could be said that the the largest continent with the smallest population woul dnot have problems allowing in "asylum seekers" -there is plenty of space afterall. BUT its not a question of space.
Fact is that there really are few genuine asylum seekers in danger, except in Africa's warring countries. So lets alll open the doors to them on a pro rata basis...biggest countries take more..cos they have space for them.On the other hand Africa is no midget..so on a space per person basis they dont need to move. Ooops forgot about the real reason..its not space...its MONEY...free housing, benefits, free driving lessons, other handouts.
Oh, and if BondiPom is in favour of why not this and why not that, how would he feel if someone just walked into his house and occupied it on the basis that -why not skip a few conventions, like having money to buy it and simply saying I need to live here because I am in danger if I dont!
With apologies to the others..nearly a rant !
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:46 am
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bondipom
But all you have used is words like "lots of them" "overwhelmed" etc. That is neither an experience, a fact and it means jack all.

Oh sorry, I forgot that you base your current understanding of the problem in this country on figures gained from the Net, a week or so visiting London and some friends living here to, (not said where yet) !

Me, I have only lived here all my life, so I must know nothing. Yes, that's it, this is all an illusion. I know, if I can start looking at the Net, say, some of the sites you are looking at, this might clear up my miss-understanding of the situation.

You are a class one MUPPET.........

Have you got any other contributions that you can offer us all based on figures from the NET, and say, a week or two on holiday. Maybe, you have a solution to the issue in the US regarding immigrants from Mexico, you could check the Net and visit them for a two week holiday, I'm sure your observations would be well received over there !!
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
Oh sorry, I forgot that you base your current understanding of the problem in this country on figures gained from the Net, a week or so visiting London and some friends living here to, (not said where yet) !

Me, I have only lived here all my life, so I must know nothing. Yes, that's it, this is all an illusion. I know, if I can start looking at the Net, say, some of the sites you are looking at, this might clear up my miss-understanding of the situation.

Have you got any other contributions that you can offer us all based on figures from the NET, and say, a week or two on holiday. Maybe, you have a solution to the issue in the US regarding immigrants from Mexico, you could check the Net and visit them for a two week holiday, I'm sure your observations would be well received over there !!
I see you are adding so much to the debate again.
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vinny van Gogh
Now it could be said that the the largest continent with the smallest population would not have problems allowing in "asylum seekers" -there is plenty of space afterall. BUT its not a question of space.
If it could be guaranteed that they would all go to the Kimberleys or some other empty part of Australia I would be all for it.

Originally Posted by Vinny van Gogh
Just side stepping the thread intent for a while---could I perhaps invoke some rolleyes and mention values! The basic structure on which we base our lives. Good ole BondiPom seems to have overlooked that there are laws and conventions in place. Just like the ones that were applied when presumably, he inititated a visa application to live and work in Australia. Applying his "values" I fail to see why he bothered. Why not just move in a hide away from authority? The UK..unfortunately - has always been a "humanitarian" nation - its now taken to mean "a soft touch" - and allowed in migrants. Yes we know we opened the doors to the "black" nations in the 50,s but lets not forget the £10 assisted passage offered by Australia.
Now it could be said that the the largest continent with the smallest population woul dnot have problems allowing in "asylum seekers" -there is plenty of space afterall. BUT its not a question of space.
Fact is that there really are few genuine asylum seekers in danger, except in Africa's warring countries. So lets alll open the doors to them on a pro rata basis...biggest countries take more..cos they have space for them.On the other hand Africa is no midget..so on a space per person basis they dont need to move. Ooops forgot about the real reason..its not space...its MONEY...free housing, benefits, free driving lessons, other handouts.
Oh, and if BondiPom is in favour of why not this and why not that, how would he feel if someone just walked into his house and occupied it on the basis that -why not skip a few conventions, like having money to buy it and simply saying I need to live here because I am in danger if I dont!
With apologies to the others..nearly a rant !
What are you on about?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't BP a Londoner?

Can I ask why his input is less credible than yours? You say you live there but what does that prove? I live near Manchester but know less about Manchester United than some guy in Singapore who follows the club on the internet. But I live near Manchester so therefore my knowldege must be more valid than his?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Isn't BP a Londoner?

Can I ask why his input is less credible than yours? You say you live there but what does that prove? I live near Manchester but know less about Manchester United than some guy in Singapore who follows the club on the internet. But I live near Manchester so therefore my knowldege must be more valid than his?

I don't think we are talking about football.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I don't think we are talking about football.
I thought it was a perfectly valid comparison but then again I live in Bondi so I can't have views on football because there is no team here.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:21 am
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Isn't BP a Londoner?

What are you on

This is not about a bloody football team, it is about my local environment, where I live.

Now how the hell can someone who lives on the other side of the planet, have a better idea of the local issues in my area then me.
Is he going to know about our housing issues created by the current surge in legal/illegal immigration or the local NHS issues created by this invasion ?
How about the extra taxes that we, as Londoners (good old Ken ) are now having to pay.
Lets not forget the increase in TB and AIDs, all rife in East Europeans and Africans.

I could rant on, but can't be arsed.......

NOT FOOTBALL
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

What are you on

This is not about a bloody football team, it is about my local environment, where I live.

NOT FOOTBALL
I guess the analogy went right over your head.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:48 am
Banned

No, you just didn't make any sense
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

No, you just didn't make any sense
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=analogy

Last edited by HiddenPaw; Mar 30th 2005 at 8:59 am.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:19 am
Banned

Wow, link to a dictionary........

Now all you need to do, is make a few more links that can translate how you equate football, to the subject that was being discussed between BP, me and a few others on this thread ?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:21 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

NO, its just that your analogy isn't valid.

Anyone can read up on facts and figures but only someone who lives in a certain area can tell what its like to live there. Try this : can the person from Singapore if he has never visited Old Trafford tell you what that the atmosphere is like at Old trafford, what its like to be part of a 60,000 crowd, what it smells like, etc etc. ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.