Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

High Court rules Australia must take asylum seekers

Wikiposts

High Court rules Australia must take asylum seekers

Old Mar 4th 2005, 5:46 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High Court rules Australia must take asylum seekers

Originally Posted by Vinny van Gogh
£900 per year council tax in London......jeez mate you just move to you Sydney hovel from a London sub-standard hovel.
Our Manchester hovel costs me just under £1400 and as it is based of property value---It seems amazing that your London weigted Council tax was only £900. Anyway, some granny and her dog were appreciative i,m sure Must go now back to work and more taxes to help the down and outs
Hey, I didn't live in hovel in London! The postal address was actually Kent, but it came under the administration of a London borough. And because yourself and a couple of others were surprised at the level of tax I was paying, I thought I better check and make sure I hadn't dreamt it up...

Anyway, the council tax (Band D) was/is 1040 pounds. I was entitled to a single person discount, which also brought it down. It was a lovely area, really green thanks to lots of open spaces, good schools and facilities etc etc. Much as I don't like the Tories, because they had control of the council they kept the council tax down.

Sorry about going completely of subject, but I had to make that one clear!

Re being a half-decent barrister - I don't think you meant that as a compliment...
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chels
Hey, I didn't live in hovel in London! The postal address was actually Kent, but it came under the administration of a London borough. And because yourself and a couple of others were surprised at the level of tax I was paying, I thought I better check and make sure I hadn't dreamt it up...

Anyway, the council tax (Band D) was/is 1040 pounds. I was entitled to a single person discount, which also brought it down. It was a lovely area, really green thanks to lots of open spaces, good schools and facilities etc etc. Much as I don't like the Tories, because they had control of the council they kept the council tax down.

Sorry about going completely of subject, but I had to make that one clear!

Re being a half-decent barrister - I don't think you meant that as a compliment...
No harm intended Chels....
I,m quite sure you dont actually live in a hovel in Sydney as you mentioned to demonstrate you support of your partner, so I borrowed your terminology....BUT.... taking £900 as a years Council Tax as being a lot of money.....to me and others it was and is not!
We actaully received yesterday this years notice and ours is now£1431.68 PA and we live 11 miles SE of Manchester whcih is nothing special.
Anywy..like all threads it wandered off a bit.AND yes..you would make an half decent Barrister...... digging into facts and figures, making comparisons, bringing in study cases, gathering it all up and then to make a sumation and then........well......
Hope your visitors have a good time in Sydney. We are coming over in December this year....so yer can buy me a drink on Circular Quay
Old Mar 15th 2005, 10:04 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bondipom
http://www.unhcr.org.uk/info/briefin...ues/myths.html

"Britain Tops the Asylum League"
Daily Express, 1/3/02
IN FACT…

• In 2001 the total number of people who applied for asylum was 88,300.
  • This compares to 98,900 in 2000 and represents an 11% decrease.
  • Of the industrialised countries Germany, with 88,363 applications in 2001 is the top destination for asylum seekers, followed by the UK and USA (86,394).
  • Per capita, the UK, received far few asylum applications in 2001 than most other western European countries.
  • The UK ranked tenth after Austria, Norway, Switzerland, Belgium, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands and Luxembourg.
  • The number of asylum seekers the UK accepted is only 0.5% of its population
Thing is, I live over here and can tell you right now, these figures are crap, made up by a very scared Government. So, stop using numbers that you know nothing about and can not relate to, your on the other side of the planet !!

Just one thing, not to multi-culture in Bondi mate....but you know all the answers for multi-culture living, me thinks you talk out you a@se !!
Old Mar 15th 2005, 10:07 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jayr
And as opposed to backing up comments with a third source 'cut and paste', your knowledge of numbers of illegal entrants to the Uk is based on what? Your opinion? You counted them personally?
Don't have to mate, I live here and have seen with my own eyes how this country has been over whelmed with them...
Old Mar 15th 2005, 10:30 pm
Banned

Question Re: High Court rules Australia must take asylum seekers

Originally Posted by chels
1. England can't have it both ways. Economic migrants were encouraged to come to the country when there have been shortages of workers.

2. There is still a need to fill many of the jobs in lower-paid sectors. Areas like London, where the population is falling, need more, not less people. Economic migrants are some of the very people who are willing to take such jobs.

3. The birth rate in England (and Australia) is falling. To keep population levels at a economically viable level, first world countries have to look to the developing world.

4. Why (including this post) are only non-white, or non-Christian migrants referred to as a 'problem'?

5. In the 1930s, the Daily Mail ran a similar crusade against Jews fleeing Nazi persecution. There were similar articles to the ones it runs today about how people were fabricating tales of hardship, persecution, etc and how, if they were allowed in, they would take over the English culture with their foreign ways.

6. Does the Daily Mail (and the Sun, Daily Telegraph etc) create the views or does it reflect what some of the public really thinks? My view is that it reflects the views of its readers - if they didn't want to read that rubbish, they wouldn't buy the paper, it would quickly go out of business, so it prints what they want to read and gives them the so-called facts to back their claims up.

7. One of the nicest men I know, who is like a surrogate dad to me, believes in this Daily Mail twaddle about asylum seekers, legal and illegal, and economic migrants, flooding the country, sponging off our benefits, ripping the tax payer, living in mansions etc. Funny thing is, he's never met such a person, neither have I. I've yet to meet anyone who has, apart from Daily Mail journalists! If such a nice bloke can hold these views, it doesn't surprise that so many less nice people are similarly inclined.

8. I'm no expert on this subject. I read about things, in both the left and right wing press and try to form an opinion. Which is all this post is - my opinion.
Your welcome to your opinion, but you live in Sydney, so how can you have any idea of the situation over here ?

Thing is, I would not even try to speak on the issues between the Aborigines and white folk, because I'm not living in Oz and have no experience of the issues.That said, being a born Londoner, from generation of Londoners, and still living in London, I would go so far to say, that we have seen a small scale invasion, not migration.

So, on that note, everything I comment on on this subject, is based on these personal experiences....you ?
Old Mar 16th 2005, 7:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
Thing is, I live over here and can tell you right now, these figures are crap, made up by a very scared Government. So, stop using numbers that you know nothing about and can not relate to, your on the other side of the planet !!

Just one thing, not to multi-culture in Bondi mate....but you know all the answers for multi-culture living, me thinks you talk out you a@se !!
You seem full of knowledge.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:11 am

Don't have to mate, I live here and have seen with my own eyes how this country has been over whelmed with them...
With who?
Old Mar 16th 2005, 10:32 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Describe 'overwhelmed'.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:18 pm
Banned

You seem full of knowledge.
Better than full of "$hit"
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jayr
Describe 'overwhelmed'.
OVERWHELMED - 1 over power with emotion of a burden 2 OVERCOME BY FORCE OF NUMBERS 3 by a great number
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:23 pm
Banned

With who?
You don't know.......yet you have had so much to say on this thread !!
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

sludger is on a distinguished road

This is not at all about the topic, its just great to see another QPR fan on the list. I live here in Perth WA and own a set of number plates that read QPR FC

Anyway see you later
Old Mar 17th 2005, 6:26 am

Better than full of "$hit"
I have backed up my arguments and this is all you can come up with.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:28 pm
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by Koza
Outrageous!
How could anybody these days believe jews are persecuted in Russia?
Been going on for decades.

Old Mar 24th 2005, 1:37 am
Banned

I have backed up my arguments and this is all you can come up with.
Backed up your arguements ? How, all you have done is spout out figures gained from the WWW, I live over here and speak from experience.....

Sludger....I've have seen a thread on the "Rivals" about you....

I have a mate in Melbourne who has a UR's number plate, and apprently there is one in Brissy as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.