Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP! How do I get a carseat from the UK to Brisbane cheaply?

HELP! How do I get a carseat from the UK to Brisbane cheaply?

Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:13 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP! How do I get a carseat from the UK to Brisbane cheaply?

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Well, if they're so easy to find and so obvious, then give a couple of examples and the question will never arise!
I'm not the one with the potential monetary loss overhanging them.

Somepeople just dont want to hear the obvious and hence no sympathy when they post "my insurance claim has been rejected and now the other party are seeking compensation what do i do?"

I invite the OP too make one phone call to a prospective insurance company - any one will do.

Then make the statement if my daughter/son/family pet is in a non OZ car seat and we have a accident will I be covered.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:23 am
ABCDiamond

This ISOFIX has been in the pipeline for years...

Safety Innovations for Australian Child Restraints July 2004
http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conne...e2fa54a1b45993

The issue of adoption or otherwise of ISOFIX or LATCH systems in Australia recently encountered an impasse. (June to December 2003).
The only thing the various parties could agree upon was that further research would assist more informed identification of the best way forward for Australia.
Early field indicators suggest that the ISOFIX anchorages may not be strong enough, suggesting that it is prudent for Australia to wait and encourage further research and development rather than implement this system immediately.

Better lower fixation of the child restraint system through the adoption of a variant of the ISOFIX/LATCH system.
This would use two flexible lower anchor straps, one for each lower rear corner of the child restraint, which are tensioned after installation so as to provide a near rigid installation.

Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
This ISOFIX has been in the pipeline for years...

Safety Innovations for Australian Child Restraints July 2004
http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conne...e2fa54a1b45993
So strange - the rest of the world agrees it is a good way forward and far better than using a seat belt, and Australia sees it differently. Wonder why?

It latches to the cars chassis. I know from experience it is a fair bit stronger than a seat belt which gives flexibility. And regardless of whether I have fitted the seat or it's been fitted by the store, tell me a single person that has not removed their car seat at some time to either wash it, or put it in another car etc, and then have they returned to the shop to get it 'professionally' fitted again. No way....

ISOFIX goes on rigid the first time every time. Cannot get it wrong. I would have thought this is enough to justify its inclusion - not to say it's the best solution, but the best there is at present...
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
So strange - the rest of the world agrees it is a good way forward and far better than using a seat belt, and Australia sees it differently. Wonder why?

Sounds par for the course for Australia.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:52 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I imagine that there are many vested interests at play there - though I have no idea what they could be if most of the seats are made by Britax, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me...

S
Holden and Ford...?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice

So how does one take their seat out to use in a taxi?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:58 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DibDob
So how does one take their seat out to use in a taxi?
With the Aussi anchor system , you just anchor your seat into the taxi....
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Ridiculous may be too hard a word, but ISOFIX was introduced (in terms of available seats being sold) in 2004 in the UK, but it appeared in cars a good few years before that, so some five years ago for the UK is certainly not 'fairly recently'.

And it was not just the UK that had a inferior (though not poor) system, much of the rest of the world did too.

ISOFIX was meant to be a global standard for the fitment of car seats. One which Australia has failed to adopt, and IS a better system. It is also one that does not require extensive testing since in many cases the seats are the same but the connection method changes by fitting onto a base that connects rigidly to the cars chassis, and coupled with the fact that many cars sold in Australia have ISOFIX as standard (many if not all Subaru, Toyota, Citroen, Peugeot to name a few) or can easily be retro-fitted with two bolts and a bracket (Ford Focus as an example), it's hardly introducing something totally new as a replacement but actually something else in addition to the existing system that works in conjunction with it.

Taking that into account, it is pretty silly that these seats could easily be licensed and approved but are not...
My 'fairly recently' was for "compulsory ISOFIX"....but regardless the point was that countries usually lurch in front and behind on all sorts of things all the time....without us being experts we can't prejudge the reasons why but I don't find it that unusual that the UK was behind or Australia is now...do you know why Australia is behind now?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:38 am
ABCDiamond

So strange - the rest of the world agrees it is a good way forward and far better than using a seat belt, and Australia sees it differently. Wonder why?.
Australia doesn't allow you to just use a seat belt to hold a carseat in, it MUST be attached to the anchor point.

Some countries. like the US, didn't go for ISOFIX they went for the LATCH system.
The explanations were in the article.

I wonder which one we will get in the end.

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 9:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

According to ABCs post No 75 it says that these ISOFIX were due to be included in the Aussie standards in 2008. Were they? In which case there's no problem surely.

I have no idea, not needed a car seat for about 10 years now and no intention of requiring one again
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Australia doesn't allow you to just use a seat belt to hold a carseat in, it MUST be attached to the anchor point.

Some countries. like the US, didn't go for ISOFIX they went for the LATCH system.
The explanations were in the article.

I wonder which one we will get in the end.
Baby or toddler seat = true
Booster seat for older large seat = not necessarily so can be just seat belt, may have a tether.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

As a parent of a toddler and a member of a parenting forum I have read various articles about this issue and some of the conclusions reached (either by myself or others that have researched heavily into this) are:

To mandate ISOFIX would mean a change in the ways the Australian car manufactures produce cars and it could possibly be financially unviable, particularly in an environment where the manufactures are struggling.

ISOFIX has been tested and compared a whole number of times (anyone that subscribes to choice magazine can find the testing there) and found to be a more effective and safer system than the Aus standards or latch. For this reason people who do the research will question putting their child in an 'inferior' seat and I know of some (most of which are not expats) that have elected to import a seat which after extensive research has been in their view the safest available. Particularly if they have a car that has ISOFIX. Most that I know who have done this have approached their insurance company and given them the full information, and requested a written confirmation that in the event of a claim there would be no difference, which they have had (incidently, one of them had an accident and had her ISOFIX seat replaced under the insurance policy)

If it was me and I wanted to import the seat I would be making sure I contacted my insurance company, checked out and got in writing that it would have no impact on my claim in the event of an accident and going with what I believe to be the safest possible option. I have considered importing a booster seat for my toddler when she is bigger, reality for me is that she is a small build and I am ok with the safety standards of the baby seats, but have to admit I am hoping that by the time she outgrows the seat ISOFIX will be legal.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 7:21 am
ABCDiamond

I think a simple solution would be to allow cars with ISOFIX fittings to be allowed to use ISOFIX car seats, if they adhered to an international standard.

But then, that would be to simple.

Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Tragic story, but at least the baby survived with very few injuries in one of those "unsafe" Aussie car seats.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...97-421,00.html

Love

Rudi
x
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I see the Aus v UK debate has reached a new low. Which has the most advanced car seats.
I wait with bated breath for the inevitable "Toilet paper is better in Uk/Aus" thread.
Ps Isn't it odd that we have Ipods, space travel etc, but still wipe our arses with wadded up bits of paper?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.