Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP! How do I get a carseat from the UK to Brisbane cheaply?

HELP! How do I get a carseat from the UK to Brisbane cheaply?

Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:11 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP! How do I get a carseat from the UK to Brisbane cheaply?

Originally Posted by dave7370
Have you ever had to deal with insurance company's in the event of a claim? If there's a get out clause they'll take it.

I think you may have also missed the point of many replies which have come from concerned parents (me included), why is the OP trying to get around the laws of the country they've moved to just to save a few bucks? If their insurance company decided not to pay out over something like a car seat and their child was seriously injured then wouldn't the extra few bucks and peace of mind knowing that you've covered all bases seem like a good investment, than the possible cost of round the clock care and everything else that goes with an horrific injury?

Call it scare mongering, call it what you like..... I know what I'd be doing.
I don't think it's trying to save a few bucks, I think the OP is of the opinion that the Aus standard seats are crap, and the UK/EU standard seats are better and safer. though this may be the case (I have no idea - I have never needed a child seat) the law as it stands is that the seat must be 'approved' to be legally used in Australia, i.e. have the AU/NZ standard sticker - and this, I believe, is the end of the story.

I think it would be incredibly naive of a person to think that an insurance company wouldn't attempt to ameliorate it's responsibilities if it could use something like an unapproved child seat or helmet as a reason. They have used much more petty reasons in the past.

S
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:17 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I don't think it's trying to save a few bucks, I think the OP is of the opinion that the Aus standard seats are crap, and the UK/EU standard seats are better and safer. though this may be the case (I have no idea - I have never needed a child seat) the law as it stands is that the seat must be 'approved' to be legally used in Australia, i.e. have the AU/NZ standard sticker - and this, I believe, is the end of the story.

I think it would be incredibly naive of a person to think that an insurance company wouldn't attempt to ameliorate it's responsibilities if it could use something like an unapproved child seat or helmet as a reason. They have used much more petty reasons in the past.

S
Fair point, I think I've headed in the wrong direction thinking it was cost over quality, so that part I withdraw but the rest remains the same.

Personally I can't see the issue with the car seats available in Oz, and I prefered the Isofix additional restraint than just the seat belt alone.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:24 am
ABCDiamond

With Australian car seats it may be best to get them professionally installed if anyone is unsure about how to fit them.

Anchorage points can be found on the parcel shelf in sedans and on the floor or roof area in station wagons, vans and hatchbacks.
If your vehicle does not have an anchorage point you will need to get one made.

Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:13 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

From InsureMyRide.com.au:
Re. helmets:

blah blah blah
That doesn't say your insurance will automatically be invalidated if you wear an uncertified helmet. It says that you have to wear a helmet that is certified - which we already knew.
Saying "the insurance co might try to weasel out of it" is completely different from asserting as fact that insurance will be invalidated, as numerous posters on here have done.

There is so much unjustified assertion on the net (and on britishexpats) about what "the law is" or "what will definitely happen" it's unreal. It falls into three categories: claims that are true/opinions that are useful but just not substantiated and can't be relied upon; stuff that might be true or might not but the poster is spouting off on what they think is reasonable; and stuff that is just complete and utter nonsense. Unfortunately, without people backing up their claims, there's no way to tell the first category from the last.

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Oct 18th 2009 at 8:18 am.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:16 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
That doesn't say your insurance will automatically be invalidated if you wear an uncertified helmet. It says that you have to wear a helmet that is certified - which we already knew.
Like I said, it would be incredibly naive to think that any insurance company wouldn't use this as an excuse not to support a claim. Very naive indeed.

S
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:21 am

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said, it would be incredibly naive to think that any insurance company wouldn't use this as an excuse not to support a claim. Very naive indeed.
I think you posted that as I was adding to my last post. I'm not naive - I would just like people to back up their claims. An unsupported (wo)man-down-the-pub assertion is useless for the OP.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Same with motorcycle helmets - they must have the Australian Standards sign on, or your insurance is invalidated.

Also, am I the only person here that finds it a little irksome that somebody rocks up to somebody else's country and then decides to pick and choose which laws they obey through some inflated sense of existence because as somebody from another country they obviously know much better and more than the locals?

S
Nope quite agree with you - this country, this country's laws!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:32 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
pps. I might be returning to the UK and I can't wait to get my hands on 5 point harnesses in boosters. Will help me get my 3 kids buckled in without me scraping my hand and pulling a muscle to get in between the seats to reach the belts.
I think you'll find them easy enough to get here, they are just called "maxi riders"

http://www.bubsandtots.com.au/store/...R-Mid-Grey.jpg
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:56 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar

Saying "the insurance co might try to weasel out of it" is completely different from asserting as fact that insurance will be invalidated, as numerous posters on here have done.

There is so much unjustified assertion on the net (and on britishexpats) about what "the law is" or "what will definitely happen" it's unreal. It falls into three categories: claims that are true/opinions that are useful but just not substantiated and can't be relied upon; stuff that might be true or might not but the poster is spouting off on what they think is reasonable; and stuff that is just complete and utter nonsense. Unfortunately, without people backing up their claims, there's no way to tell the first category from the last.
Might just pay for the OP and doubters to read the fine print of insurance policies. Regardless if the insurance companies will or will not pay in the case of injury or death in an accident with a foreign car seat, the driver is, by law, automatically laible for a $300 fine and 3 demerit points (in Qld. I'll assume the penalties are similar nationwide), and that is substansiated fact.http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/reso...11_sept_09.pdf
To me, breaking the law can constitute reasonable excuse for not paying out, like they are can do if a driver has an accident while driving under the influence.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:59 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

S
Better give up mate, they're not listening.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:05 am
ABCDiamond

Damages have been reduced where a plaintiff failed to take a precaution such as wearing a seat belt or a crash-helmet.
http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lrc.nsf/pages/R43CHP2

A non approved seat belt, crash helmet, etc, may well be considered the equivalent of not having one. Based on being able to be fined by the police for not having one in those circumstances.

Having had a bit of involvement in car insurance, I would not trust all insurers to pay out if they could find alternatives.

Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Damages have been reduced where a plaintiff failed to take a precaution such as wearing a seat belt or a crash-helmet.
http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lrc.nsf/pages/R43CHP2
Huh - can't help noticing you omitted the significant words which follow 'crash-helmet': "which would have made the injury less severe". If the severity of the damages isn't related to the failure, then it's irrelevant.

Where the common law total defence of contributory negligence (where if the Plaintiff had done anything that actually contributed to their injury, then they lost everything) was replaced by statute, as it has in NSW, then "damages were reduced in proportion to the plaintiffs share of responsibility for the accident causing his or her injury". Or, to put it in the words of s9 of the Law Reform (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1965 (NSW):

If a person (the claimant) suffers damage as the result partly of the claimant’s failure to take reasonable care (contributory negligence) and partly of the wrong of any other person:

(a) a claim in respect of the damage is not defeated by reason of the contributory negligence of the claimant, and

(b) the damages recoverable in respect of the wrong are to be reduced to such extent as the court thinks just and equitable having regard to the claimant’s share in the responsibility for the damage
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fr...9+0+N?tocnav=y

This is a million miles from numerous claims on this thread that an insurance policy is automatically invalidated if an unapproved seat is used. It requires proof that the Plaintiff's action [i.e. using the unapproved helmet or baby seat] caused or contributed to loss in fact: the lack of certification doesn't per se prove that because - obviously - an uncertified seat or helmet could still be safe. It's not enough that "something wasn't right" in the car, it has to be relevant and it has to have actually contributed to the damage.

Might just pay for the OP and doubters to read the fine print of insurance policies.
Might just pay for some of the people making radical claims to substantiate them! I'm not saying that anything is untrue - just that no-one has bothered giving any substance to their claims.

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Oct 18th 2009 at 12:45 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

wednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant future

"Might just pay for some of the people making radical claims to substantiate them! I'm not saying that anything is untrue - just that no-one has bothered giving any substance to their claims."

I work for a motorcycle retailer in brissie and can catergorically state that if stopped by the police wearing a non AU stamped helmet you will be charged with "riding without a helmet". This happened to another salesman (pom) who was on a test ride and had to call the shop to get someone to bring him a compliant helmet. he was fined $300 and given 3 demerit points. The cop told him that if he had an accident the companies insurance policy would have been invalid and he would not have been able to claim any kind of medical expenses or compo, even if he was not at fault.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by wednesfield wolf
The cop told him that if he had an accident the companies insurance policy would have been invalid and he would not have been able to claim any kind of medical expenses or compo, even if he was not at fault.
1) Yes, absolutely, wearing an unapproved helmet/using an unapproved car seat is an offence. No-one expressed any doubt over this and it has been sourced above anyway.

2) The cop's statement conflicts with Qld law on contributory negligence, which is the same in substance to the NSW law already mentioned above: http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...01/01AC065.pdf . If the rider were not at fault, there would be no proportion by which to reduce the damages recoverable.

3) A cop is not a reliable source of information for tort law, and a report of a report of what a cop said, even less so. Sorry.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:45 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

BUT...what if the driver IS at fault...Seriously? Is it worth the risk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.