Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help re air conditioning

Can anyone help re air conditioning

Old May 6th 2010, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone help re air conditioning

Originally Posted by BriBri UK
Not quite what I was expecting to hear. In the winter ice on the car!!! They don't advertise that.

We will be in a rental for at least the first 6 months or so, what will the heating system be like?? Will there be any??

We have 3 old fan heaters should I bring them with me??
You might find this site useful http://www.energyrating.gov.au/

and yeah bring the fan heaters Good luck with your move

cheers
shears
Old May 6th 2010, 12:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Not quite what I was expecting to hear. In the winter ice on the car!!! They don't advertise that.

We will be in a rental for at least the first 6 months or so, what will the heating system be like?? Will there be any??

We have 3 old fan heaters should I bring them with me??
Yes, Ice on the car windscreen does happen, although not very often, and of course we didn't have de-icer in the house, when it did. Not even sure they sold it in the shops.

Some rentals will have heating, but probably some won't.

Old May 6th 2010, 12:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Really confused now as to whether we will need it.

We will be living within a 45 minute commute of Sydney probably West away from the Ocean.

Anyone living in that type of area with or without air con care to comment
I lived about 1 hour out from the city (by train) about 45kms, for quite a few years. I would not consider living there without reverse cycle air con.

The fully ducted type is better, but higher running costs than the split system.
When I lived in Erskine Park, we had R/C air con and a gas fire.

Old May 6th 2010, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

BriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really nice

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply.

Thanks SHEARS for the link really useful.

I had no idea it could get that cold probably looking through rose tinted spectacles, or beer goggles more like

Looks like I need to do a little more research and pack the winter woolies.
Old May 6th 2010, 2:26 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea it could get that cold probably looking through rose tinted spectacles, or beer goggles more like

Looks like I need to do a little more research and pack the winter woolies.
Yeah, it's not Siberia but you can get a little frost to the west of Sydney - the temps are more extreme (i.e. couple of degrees warmer in summer, cooler in winder) away from the coast.

Funny thing - I live in Sydney near the water and sold a car to a guy from Penrith. He was looking it over and asked if the rear defroster worked 'cos he needed it often in winter...had to tell him "I've no ****ing idea, mate!"

Do keep the winter stuff - you can drive to the mountains and go skiing in winter or you might want to go to Tassie/NZ/Japan on holiday. Clothes are expensive esp winter stuff. Some days/nights can get a little nippy as well.

You don't *need* A/C but there are 3/4 weeks in summer when it is really nice to have it, especially if you don't have a decent crossbreeze. Ditto winter - we will probably only have heating on 10-15 nights over winter.
Old May 6th 2010, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

BriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really nice

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Yeah, it's not Siberia but you can get a little frost to the west of Sydney - the temps are more extreme (i.e. couple of degrees warmer in summer, cooler in winder) away from the coast.

Funny thing - I live in Sydney near the water and sold a car to a guy from Penrith. He was looking it over and asked if the rear defroster worked 'cos he needed it often in winter...had to tell him "I've no ****ing idea, mate!"

Do keep the winter stuff - you can drive to the mountains and go skiing in winter or you might want to go to Tassie/NZ/Japan on holiday. Clothes are expensive esp winter stuff. Some days/nights can get a little nippy as well.

You don't *need* A/C but there are 3/4 weeks in summer when it is really nice to have it, especially if you don't have a decent crossbreeze. Ditto winter - we will probably only have heating on 10-15 nights over winter.
Thanks for the info appreciate it
Old May 6th 2010, 10:51 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I disagree. I used the air con more in Sydney than we do now that we live up here in QLD. In both Summer and Winter.

This did actually surprise me, as I expected to need it more here.
I don't have air con and don't need it.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:52 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Do you live in Sydney? I do and I'd advise to get it if you can.
Yes and no thanks. Air con is for wimps.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:56 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
You don't need air con in Sydney.
Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I don't have air con and don't need it.
Then perhaps you should have originally said "I don't need air con in Sydney"

If you live near the coast then I agree it isn't as much value, but going West, as this person has mentioned, they may actually find it very useful.

No one actually NEEDS any cooling or heating, even in the UK, but it can be nice

Old May 7th 2010, 12:30 am
Banned

Then perhaps you should have originally said "I don't need air con in Sydney"

If you live near the coast then I agree it isn't as much value, but going West, as this person has mentioned, they may actually find it very useful.

No one actually NEEDS any cooling or heating, even in the UK, but it can be nice
I am losing the will to live...too late.
Old May 7th 2010, 2:46 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you might want to reconsider that... you could freeze to death in parts of the UK without heating.
Old May 7th 2010, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I think you might want to reconsider that... you could freeze to death in parts of the UK without heating.
......and in parts of Queensland too!!! BRRRR it's chilly tonight!!!

Love

Rudi
x
Old May 7th 2010, 9:41 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rudi
......and in parts of Queensland too!!! BRRRR it's chilly tonight!!!

Love

Rudi
x
I noticed that myself, it is down to 19.1c

This morning was cold though 13c !! at 5am
Attached Thumbnails Can anyone help re air conditioning-temp-redland-2010-05-07.png  

Old May 7th 2010, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that myself, it is down to 19.1c

This morning was cold though 13c !! at 5am
Yes......so my hubby said.....when he got up at 5am to take my daughter to her sport training

Love

Rudi
x
Old May 7th 2010, 9:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I am getting drawn into this exaggerating lark....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.