Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help re air conditioning

Can anyone help re air conditioning

Old May 5th 2010, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

BriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really nice
Default Can anyone help re air conditioning

Hi were moving to the Sydney area and have a couple of questions re air conditioning.

Difference between ducted and the ones on the wall?
Which is best any opinions from users or fitters?
Any other types?
Is there a big cost difference for fitting/running
Will I need it in Sydney?
If so how much of the year?

Had a search on here but couldn't come up with much.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

claretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Can anyone help re air conditioning

Hi BriBri hope this helps:
Originally Posted by BriBri UK
Hi were moving to the Sydney area and have a couple of questions re air conditioning.

Ducted units are normally located in the roofspace with a wired remote controller operating the functions. They are normally zoned to cool bedrooms on one zone and living areas on others. THe beauty of ducted is it can be used to condition all of your house. The split type wall mounts are obviously positioned to cool one area only.

Ducted cools gradually as it has to condition all the areas whereas split type is pretty instant. I have split type in my house but would prefer ducted if I could afford to install it and use it.
Any other types?

The other type is evaporative, but only really work in dry hot areas, not ideal for Sydney.

Obviously it depends on the size of house and amount of zones etc but quite a significant difference.
Ducted would probably cost you 3 times as much as split type to install.
A split type is normally fitted on an external wall with the pipework interconnecting electrics and drains dropping within capping to the condenser. This can be installed in a few hours.

I wouldn't install anything but an inverter either. An inverter ramps up and down dependant on load, if it is used correctly and set at an achievable temperature, it will work hard to get close to the required temp then tick over to maintain it.
Practically anything on the market is reverse cycle too so it can be used for heating in the winter.

I don't live in Sydney but went down in Summer and it was bloody hot.

Old May 6th 2010, 4:34 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We have ducted and absolutely love it. It keeps all the rooms nice and cool and fairly evenly distributed, plus it looks nicer (as in you don't see the big units on the wall).
Old May 6th 2010, 4:48 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Any other types?

You don't need air con in Sydney.
Old May 6th 2010, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the above. You dont "need" it in Sydney. We are in WA - a fair bit hotter and dont have it. Though we have just bought a heater!
Old May 6th 2010, 9:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I disagree. I used the air con more in Sydney than we do now that we live up here in QLD. In both Summer and Winter.

This did actually surprise me, as I expected to need it more here.

Old May 6th 2010, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

BriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really nice

Originally Posted by claretandblue
Hi BriBri hope this helps:
Thanks CLARETANDBLUE really helpful appreciate it
Old May 6th 2010, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Do you live in Sydney? I do and I'd advise to get it if you can.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I disagree. I used the air con more in Sydney than we do now that we live up here in QLD. In both Summer and Winter.

Really confused now as to whether we will need it.

We will be living within a 45 minute commute of Sydney probably West away from the Ocean.

Anyone living in that type of area with or without air con care to comment
Old May 6th 2010, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

We will be living within a 45 minute commute of Sydney probably West away from the Ocean.

If you're going to be out west - then you will want it.

We live in Sydney, within sight of the ocean and managed perfectly well with no air conditioning for well over 20 years. On really hot days we got by with fans. We do have it in a few rooms now and whilst it's nice to have, we probably get more benefit from the heating it provides.

It will be completely different if you're 45 minutes west - much hotter in summer (and unfortunately colder in winter too).
Old May 6th 2010, 10:51 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NickyC
If you're going to be out west - then you will want it.

We live in Sydney, within sight of the ocean and managed perfectly well with no air conditioning for well over 20 years. On really hot days we got by with fans. We do have it in a few rooms now and whilst it's nice to have, we probably get more benefit from the heating it provides.

It will be completely different if you're 45 minutes west - much hotter in summer (and unfortunately colder in winter too).
Agree with all that.
I'm about 100k South of Sydney and on the coast and could probably get by without aircon in Summer.... but I wouldn't want to. If you end up in a typical Australian home then you will defo need heating of some description and aircon fits the bill.

We have ducted upstairs and split system downstairs. It's not cheap to run, but I wouldn't want to be without it.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I agree! I had ducted in Sydney and used it HEAPS! Mostly in winter actually.

Here in Qld I rarely use it. I have 2 split systems. I probably had them on 3 or 4 times in the summer this year, however, I will have them on most early mornings in the winter.

In Sydney I did live about 30kms from the water, and here in Qld I'm only about 2kms from the water, so maybe that's what makes the difference. Maybe that was the same with you ABC.....you were even more inland that I was in Sydney!

Love

Rudi
x
Old May 6th 2010, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you will need it! Unbearabley hot in the summer with no breeze and freezing in the winter......literally.....like ice on the car in the morning type freezing.

Love

Rudi
x
Old May 6th 2010, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rudi
Yes, you will need it! Unbearabley hot in the summer with no breeze and freezing in the winter......literally.....like ice on the car in the morning type freezing.

Love

Rudi
x
Not quite what I was expecting to hear. In the winter ice on the car!!! They don't advertise that.

We will be in a rental for at least the first 6 months or so, what will the heating system be like?? Will there be any??

We have 3 old fan heaters should I bring them with me??
Old May 6th 2010, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Not quite what I was expecting to hear. In the winter ice on the car!!! They don't advertise that.

We will be in a rental for at least the first 6 months or so, what will the heating system be like?? Will there be any??

We have 3 old fan heaters should I bring them with me??
Well I would definitely bring them!!!! I lived in North West Sydney for 5 years and winter was COLD!!! I scraped ice off my car many a time!

It depends on your rental - some will have aircon, some won't.

Love

Rudi
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.