Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

Originally Posted by pomtastic

Australia, not enough culture, the locals too brash and unsophisticated (their views, not mine) .

Anyone who does 'well' or makes a name for themselves in Australia tends to piss off to Europe or America, rarely vice versa and it's something that's noticed by the aspiring classes.

Couldnt agree more on above points. Its not hard to notice most aussies who do well cant wait to get out of the place, every time aus drags up its rich and famous they usually bolted to London or LA ages ago.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
pretty much agree 100%. Purely from a $ perspective, 2000 was a good year to move here.... 2010 is a terrible year.
2000 was brill, you could buy the house pool 4WD dream probably chuck in a a jetski and have change from $200,000.

It was never about 'lifestyle' it was about biggin it up Still the same lifestyle here, but with no bang for the buck most migrants couldnt give a fig about the place.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

OzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Couldnt agree more on above points. Its not hard to notice most aussies who do well cant wait to get out of the place, every time aus drags up its rich and famous they usually bolted to London or LA ages ago.
Exactly, outside very narrow engineering and mining related industries in Australia there really are much better paying opportunities in other developed countries.

Money isn't everything, but Australia losing it's greatest intellectual capital to overseas with no equivalent numbers coming in will ultimately hurt Australia's future. But, no worries, she'll be right...
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
It was never about 'lifestyle' it was about biggin it up
Speak for yourself

Old Sep 13th 2010, 9:20 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

This data doesn't mean anything.

The country denied people that to be honest probably weren't even that skilled or students on voc courses. Also many Australians working overseas were made redundant and returned home.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura about

I am waiting on the 457 visa to head over to oz (Perth). Been offered pretty much the same wage as in the UK. The main attraction for us was being able to afford a nice house within a good commute to the city with good weather and lower cost of living.

With the current exchange rate. cost of living and the house prices we are really thinking about if it is the right thing to do. With the housing market in the UK we can get out ideal house there now in a good location. Put that into the mix with staying near family and friends OZ has lost some of it's attraction. Not all. You still can't argue with the beaches, weather etc but we are thinking hard about it. I am sure others in the same boat are too.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 6:42 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Kilt
I am waiting on the 457 visa to head over to oz (Perth). Been offered pretty much the same wage as in the UK. The main attraction for us was being able to afford a nice house within a good commute to the city with good weather and lower cost of living.

With the current exchange rate. cost of living and the house prices we are really thinking about if it is the right thing to do. With the housing market in the UK we can get out ideal house there now in a good location. Put that into the mix with staying near family and friends OZ has lost some of it's attraction. Not all. You still can't argue with the beaches, weather etc but we are thinking hard about it. I am sure others in the same boat are too.
v.sensible, if you do come, come with a get out plan also
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Mr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Margaret3
v.sensible, if you do come, come with a get out plan also
Yeah that is a good idea. Defo will need a plan B. I think we will defo not buy a place over there until we are sure we will be there 4 a long time. No point taking the hit on exchange rates etc if we are going back. That should give us the cash to escape if required
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:08 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

We moved on a 457 in 2002; exchange rate 2.4 when we sold the UK house and moved the money after getting PR in 2003.

Looking at the same situation now if we took into account the same age and qualifications we could not now make that PR move as we did (not enough points) and house sale and exchange rate would not be a viable option.

As it was we went backwards when we first came over and it takes a couple of years to find your feet in the workforce. I personally feel if faced with the same choice at that time we would not have emigrated.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sandra
We moved on a 457 in 2002; exchange rate 2.4 when we sold the UK house and moved the money after getting PR in 2003.

Looking at the same situation now if we took into account the same age and qualifications we could not now make that PR move as we did (not enough points) and house sale and exchange rate would not be a viable option.

As it was we went backwards when we first came over and it takes a couple of years to find your feet in the workforce. I personally feel if faced with the same choice at that time we would not have emigrated.
Thanks, Plenty of food for thought. It really is a difficult decision. Is it hard to get PR? I thought that as long as the company was sponsering you it was pretty straightforward. I have plenty of experience in my field (9 years) but don't have any qualifications. I should maybe look into that. Could help decide
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:31 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Kilt
Thanks, Plenty of food for thought. It really is a difficult decision. Is it hard to get PR? I thought that as long as the company was sponsering you it was pretty straightforward. I have plenty of experience in my field (9 years) but don't have any qualifications. I should maybe look into that. Could help decide
If you check on the immigration website what requirements do you need for the employer nominated - is it likely that the company will follow through with this? Are you at age limits that could change. Eight years ago there was a certain value for being 38 now that same age group would get us less points. I transfered job on a 457 with my company and our PR application was on husbands qualifications.

We did have a backup plan that we would spend 4 years enjoying Aus if no PR happened we would not sell the house and our route back to the UK.

I suppose I like to see the proof of pretty straightforward I am a somewhat pessimist and having a read of a few stories on here about 457 sponsorship disppearing (being withdrawn) after arriving our plan was never to make any perm decision till the PR was in our sticky mitts. We actually had our 457 turned down initially on medical grounds (my daughter is partially deaf - long story). So it was never until we also confirmed our citizenship that I really breathed a sigh of relief.

I wish you all the best exciting but daunting time
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Sandra, Glad it worked out well for you.

The company have said they will be putting me through PR as well which would be ideal. Will have a look at the requirements. See what my chances are
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pomtastic
I've no idea whether this is truth or spin but in my opinion, as it has been in the last couple of years is that Australia has officially priced itself out from British migrants.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nat...-1225918974225

The cost of living and housing have gone up to incredible levels, the exchange rate for would be migrants is dismal and yet people still believe that Poms will come here at any price to 'get away' from the UK. This is obviously not the case as the drop in migrant numbers in this article is particulary telling.

As I've banged on and on in the past on this forum, people choose to come to Aus for mainly 'economic' reasons, sure, not everyone but a vast majority. That is, the opportunity for nice house with pool with cash left over to play about with or even no mortgage at all - it WAS a blue collar worker's paradise but no more.

What are your thoughts forum readers? Any other reasons for a huge drop in the number of migrants to Aus?
That certainly is not the concern of the Australian Government. There are far more cashed up Chinese and Indian migrants to replace the British. Virtually every house bought for in Sydney now is by newly arrived Chinese immigrants. The Australian Government has no quota of specifically attracting British migrants as there are 10 times more Chinese to make up for it.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 10:20 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, 2010 isn't a good year to emigrate to Australia but my family and I are doing it anyway. Mainly because the timing is right for the kids - never mind whether it's the right time for wifie and I - we'll make a plan . I doubt that conditions in 2011-2015 will be any better than they are now, infact the next few years in the UK look like they'll be increasingly tough. Getting out now!

Financial assets sheltered medium to long term in UK real estate. Other than that, Wing and Prayer
Old Sep 14th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
That certainly is not the concern of the Australian Government. There are far more cashed up Chinese and Indian migrants to replace the British. Virtually every house bought for in Sydney now is by newly arrived Chinese immigrants. The Australian Government has no quota of specifically attracting British migrants as there are 10 times more Chinese to make up for it.
I don't agree that a freshly arrived Indian migrant can have so much money, that he'll buy a house in Australia. I earned 10 years in India and when I converted my money to AUD while coming here, all it was equivalent to was few months of 'Great Australian' house rent. Simply not possible with this high currency rate and bloated real estate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.