Australian Navy

Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Adam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australian Navy

Hi Kim & Alan,
I'm really sorry to hear that the Surrey Hills accom is poor and that life isn't as rosy as you had hoped. I just hope the lowlifes with the drugs 'n booze dont spoil things for too long and you get out and find somewhere better very soon, don't let them ruin your dream.

We visited Aus last year and loved Sydney so I was initially gutted to learn that I had an Anzac based in Perth, but hearing your stories of the London lifestyle in Sydney etc. I'm beginning to think I am lucky to get sent to WA over NSW. I don't fancy a massive commute or the expensive and small housing and busy beaches.

We have had loads of people through our front door this week to view our house and have a couple of second visits tomorrow, so we hope to get a buyer this week and move one step further down the road. All the constant tidying up and taking people around the house is really starting to get to me.

We love our house here but renting out from the other side of the world for at least a 3 year period is yet more hassle so we are taking the gamble that we will love Aus once settled in our own home. The only 'must' is a pool to cool off in as part of the new lifestyle.

Good luck Sydneyside and keep us informed of how things are improving. Chin up etc.

Adam and janet
Old Jul 30th 2007, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

kimalan is on a distinguished road

THANKYOU ALL SO MUCH, this is a great site to share our views. Josie 100 dont panic, I have laid the ground work already, so others dont share our upset. Same to everyone else, life is a gamble and we kept saying what if! Well we are here now and will crack on with things good and bad.

That aside I will continue our story very soon with further details.

Those of you reading this please dont be put of with our experience, but it is the reality factor and wish I had this to read prior to our adventure.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Hukna is an unknown quantity at this point

If you had read this before you went would it have changed your mind?
There is the 'It'll never happen to us' mind set - however, new lfe new challenges. Nothing in life is easy particularly something as big as what you have done. Hope things settle down for you - my experience of Sydney was a great one, but that was as a visitor - I am sure things will work out one you find your feet.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

We had an email this morning with regards to housing. It says that with my husband's job we will be looking at being housed in the DCO Sydney Area. Does anybody have any more info on what suburbs etc this includes? Not that I have been a bit touchy about where we may be living at the moment lol
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

janet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud of

Six weeks to go, our house is now sold as of yesterday (phew what a relief), visas approved, flights and removals booked. Still trying to sort a married quarter and car for Australia, thank heavens for Skype. There are still lots of things to do like sell cars, sort bank accounts, cancel amenities, sort pensions and claim back tax etc.

Getting the Visa isn't the end of it by a long way......

Good luck with the applications for those behind us in the queue, lets hope things speed up and everyone starts getting their visas approved.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

josie 100 and all,

(whats DCO)?

As you know and have gathered, the housing situation in Sydney is very strange (unreal in fact). Like you we lived in Devon and I have to say hand on heart, Devon is so much better (but it is the experience and new adventure). The commute in Sydney is really bad and like we said everyone travels at least an hour. We have found it hard to find the right house for us (we all have our own wants, and we just wanted a nice area, and an area not next to the main roads, dont want the cats killed, its cost me £2000 to get them out here, thats for the Mrs, not me lads.)

There are some great houses (especially for your young family) next to good shcools etc, but it does depend on the areas. Theres are some good houses, but the areas they are in are really bad. Some woman today, who I asked about life in a certain area, said "you from england", to which I replied
"yes" all proud and she replied what you doing in Sydney its crap!!

That said we have found that the south suburbs like: Miranda, Oatley, Caringbah, Gymea are really nice,although it is an hour drive. We have chosen these areas as there are some nice big houses, shops etc.

The one thing we have noticed, is that for being a massive country the gardens are so small, in UK we seem to have bigger gardens and aappreciatethem more. But like Kim says you cannot judge Sydney on AAustralia The people here are really nice and cannot fault their views and way of life.

Will keep you all posted
Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kimalan
josie 100 and all,

(whats DCO)?

As you know and have gathered, the housing situation in Sydney is very strange (unreal in fact). Like you we lived in Devon and I have to say hand on heart, Devon is so much better (but it is the experience and new adventure). The commute in Sydney is really bad and like we said everyone travels at least an hour. We have found it hard to find the right house for us (we all have our own wants, and we just wanted a nice area, and an area not next to the main roads, dont want the cats killed, its cost me £2000 to get them out here, thats for the Mrs, not me lads.)

There are some great houses (especially for your young family) next to good shcools etc, but it does depend on the areas. Theres are some good houses, but the areas they are in are really bad. Some woman today, who I asked about life in a certain area, said "you from england", to which I replied
"yes" all proud and she replied what you doing in Sydney its crap!!

That said we have found that the south suburbs like: Miranda, Oatley, Caringbah, Gymea are really nice,although it is an hour drive. We have chosen these areas as there are some nice big houses, shops etc.

The one thing we have noticed, is that for being a massive country the gardens are so small, in UK we seem to have bigger gardens and aappreciatethem more. But like Kim says you cannot judge Sydney on AAustralia The people here are really nice and cannot fault their views and way of life.

Will keep you all posted
Ooh that sounds a little more positive

DCO is Defence Community Organisation. It was the email I got from them this morning. It said that they have 3 offices Liverpool, Richmond and Sydney. He said that with Martyn being Navy and Bandy then we are most likely(can't guarantee) will be the Sydney office who will deal with us. Suppose that doesn't help much right now but is a start lol!!!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by janet66
Six weeks to go, our house is now sold as of yesterday (phew what a relief), visas approved, flights and removals booked. Still trying to sort a married quarter and car for Australia, thank heavens for Skype. There are still lots of things to do like sell cars, sort bank accounts, cancel amenities, sort pensions and claim back tax etc.

Getting the Visa isn't the end of it by a long way......

Good luck with the applications for those behind us in the queue, lets hope things speed up and everyone starts getting their visas approved.
The visa would be a very good start though

Have you got the inventory for the shipping insurance? If so, are you listing everything down? Just not sure if I am making hard work for myself. Saying that I haven't started yet lol!!!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

janet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Josie1100
The visa would be a very good start though

Have you got the inventory for the shipping insurance? If so, are you listing everything down? Just not sure if I am making hard work for myself. Saying that I haven't started yet lol!!!
Hubby doing it all , i think hes doing it room by room , ill get him to post later .
janet x
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

you lucky thing
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

If anyone wants any help I can send you all the inventorys etc (the way we did it) and any other information or tips you need

kim alan
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

If anyone wants any help I can send you all the inventorys etc (the way we did it) and any other information or tips you need

kim alan
I am not sure if you had to do a separate inventory for Eva? If so she has now stopped this and the only inventory we have to do is for the insurance for Allied Pickfords. Any help would be more than welcomed Also Kim and Alan I have been given an address for our appartment this morning. It is between Hyde Park and Darling Harbour.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Australian Navy

kim alan
Hi ya

Did you pay for the insurance separately and how much does it cost.

What sort of things did you put in your air freight and is there anything you wish you added?

Hope things are improving for you guys now the jet lag has settled.

I guess Devon is always going to be hard to beat when moving to a large city (especially one half way round the world!) We don't know what rush hour means or driving for more than 20 minutes to work is down here!!!!!! Unless you live in Tavistock and do Derriford round about!

Enjoy your adventure guys

Kate
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

GreyDog is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes would appreciate a copy of your inventory system or any other tips you have got regarding packing, prepping kit and quarantine/customs etc.

Kim & Alan , have you got your stuff yet?

Regards
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Hi all,

Things are OK, We have had problems, but I aint going to say much on here as it is not fair on anyone else (maybe it is just us!), but there are people to talk to, I went and saw my CO in the end. But please be prepared and anything better is a bonus. That aside I will help anyone coming to the Sydney area and please trust me and take my advise.

For those who want help please e-mail me on :[email protected]

As for Insurance, do not worry the ADF cover the lot. You will have Airfreight and that rises with the family members involved and you will get a 40 foot container (it is massive) and that is just your family only. We had so much stuff, but it only took a fraction of the space.

You need to do a list for all your Airfreight and a separate one for the main stuff. I broke it down into rooms etc and gave two prices £ + $. If you go over £100,000 worth you may incur cost, but no one goes over.

Also you will get the Custom Forms from Natalie Chee the overseas co-ordinator who is excellent. Any snags she will help.

If you bring pets it is expensive and check that the house offered you, you are allowes them. Also please ensure your pet has a Rabbies jab, because if you ever do return to UK they have to stay in Quarantin for 6mths if they have not got it.

Ensure you open bank account (commonwealth bank are good) sort that out before you arrive and trasnfer cash in.

Lads bring what ever pusser kit you have also, limited stocks.

There is loads more so please e-mail me and wish you all the best

KIM ALAN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.