Australian Navy

Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

JayFC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian Navy

Hi all,
I have been looking into the RAN. Having spent 6 years in the RN and much of that being at sea, I would like to know what sort of deployments, time away from base port, etc people can expect? I am now engaged, and recently completed a lovely tour(not) in the Falklands.

Having spoken to recruitment a number of times, they have painted a picture of short deployments and mostly port visits around Australia in a Navy that is very laid back.

I understand the support that seems to be given is very good and that they are very supportive. However I am now having the 'what if?' scenario of thoughts. So also what are the get out clauses? I have been told of signing on for 6 years, with a return of sercive of 3 years.

Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:28 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't do it, chances are you're being told a pile of toss to get you out there........ Stay in the UK.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

nev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to all

Hi JAYFC

We are currently going through the process of RAN - Hubby's been to the Falklands a few times now

I have friends who have transferred and friends who are over here on exchange from Australia - Staying in the UK is NOT an option for us. Speaking as a wife of a Sailor - it's not easy for either side - more for the separation side of things - no matter which Country.

You do Sea time, but the deployments are different. As far as I'm aware, you are not away from hom for more than 5 months in any 12 month period - this could be wrong, but alot of people have told me this. There is still politics, as with any establishment, but all that we know at this stage is that the Navy my Husband joined 160 years ago - isn't the same as today. It's all good as far as we're concerned.

It's all down to personal choice - speak to people who know - contact Canberra or look at the website - an email to the right department is always good - the website also gives details of current deployments.

Angie
</IMG>
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Angie for the reply. I have been in contact with Canberra a few times, but I think the issue with it being 'recruitment' is alwasy going to paint the glossy brochure image.

And Russmcp, I know who you are, and what a suprise. A response which is about as much use as drying my feet with a piss ridden towel.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

nev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to all

You're Welcome!

Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

I will add Angie that DCO has informed me of standard 3 month deployments and mostly Port visits around Australia. (Even though it is the size of Europe!) And that placements are usually for 2-3 years.

It's a big step and am now getting the 'Get out Clauses' in concrete. Don't want to leave one Navy that spends ages away from home waters to go to another!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Adam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud of

Consider that the RAN is only about 15,000 strong and isn't trying to be a member of "Team America - World Police" like Blair is, and the deployments begin to make sense. Its not like they need to send ships permanently to the Gulf or Windies, they have their own back yard to patrol.

Doing endless BOST/DOST training and back to back Armilla or ATP(South) or STANAVFORLANT/MED trips versus patrolling around Aus and the Far East in shorts and flip flops ??? ............. Hmmm, let me think a minute

Bring on that gas powered flight deck BBQ......and make mine a cold one.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:13 pm
Go for it !!!!

russandkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Just got back from Sydney...went for a week for a conference and they are crying out for people to join the RAN !! Sydney itself was great, but only did the tourist thing (a week isn't long enough !) so didn't get a feel for what it would be like to live permanently. I'm a Lt in the RN by the way....considering taking the plunge, not made a decision yet, just an option.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Adam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud ofAdam 66 has much to be proud of

That's very reassuring to hear, and is what I was told last April. The RAN has plans to expand and needs more people. Compare that with the RN which now seems to be going backwards and getting smaller. Whether you choose to believe the 'more effective' spin they put on the downsizing and reorganising of the RN is up to you. Theres no doubting the overstretch and funding issues it continuously faces year after year, and I can't see that improving in the short term.

I was lucky in that I left the RN just as the RAN are looking for people. I count myself very lucky to be in the right place/right time etc. If I were close to my time in RN/RM/RAF/ARMY now I think I would hang on for the pension, but anyone with a wedge of time to serve who is thinking about the career move to Aus must have some difficult choices ahead of them. If my last 6 months in civvy street are anything to go by, I can't wait to get to Aus and get amongst it.

Last edited by Adam 66; Feb 11th 2007 at 8:45 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by russandkaren
I'm a Lt in the RN by the way....considering taking the plunge, not made a decision yet, just an option.
What branch? I am an ex Lt FNO. (Left last year) At the moment I have just had final clearance with a proposed date for April this year. After speaking to the DCO, most Ex-RN go to Perth after training. My issues are that they RAN wants a return fo service of 6 years, which I think is asking a lot considering the what if you don't like it. Buying yourself out of the RN is one thing, but the RAN is a another!

Decisions, decisions.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:54 pm
Go for it !!!!

I'm X (EW), I know what you mean about the 6 year contract, but if you are taking your lump sum/pension with you (as I will be) its got to be worth it....if I go, then I could be as young as 51 when I've finished the 6 years and could always come back if its THAT bad...which I doubt. Interestingly, I went to Sydney in Economy, as dictated by our travel budget - at 6ft 5in it wasn't comfortable, but i had to go for the business anyway. The Australians travel one up from Economy if they go on international business - another nail in the coffin for the RN. What small perks we once had are gradually being ground down.....actuals now when you are overseas (with a thousand receipts to bring back, travel restrictions etc) and everything else, this is a good time to leave I think. Luckily, I've had some good times and been to some reasonable places...I wouldn't recommend any youngsters join up though.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Take it then you are SD?

I was only in the Mob for 6 years. I totally agree with what you are saying. I also know it is a good time to leave especially with the current issues of promotion for LT and LT CDR! I will be 35 byt the time I might bang out of the RAN. I have also been told that one can leave after 3 years, But you better have a bloody good explanation. So I might just blame the missus!

It is a big step and I am under no illusions as to what all this involves. Two sides of the coin at the moment as with everything. (But def glad I left the RN when I did- as soon the job market will be be FLOODED with ex RN Officers!)
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:34 pm
Go for it !!!!

Yep, with the freeze on promotion its not good, and I know a lot of people who have had enough and are cutting and running. Yes I am SD and commissioned in 2003, best thing I ever did - at the time, although I'm not going any further in the current climate.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Well After speaking to the RAN I would be eligable for promotion almost on arrival! Don't think that would happen though!

If you want a conditions of service doc, I can email it to you plus all the useful web links that they have given me.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by russandkaren
Yep, with the freeze on promotion its not good, and I know a lot of people who have had enough and are cutting and running.............. ..I'm not going any further in the current climate.
Christ, is anyone ???????? (That's meant as a sarcastic statement BTW, not a question. I know the score with the RN ).

Total agreement re: not wanting your kids (or anyone elses) to join the RN. I certainly couldn't recommend it to anyone anymore. Such a shame, I used to think it was a great life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.