Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Jan 22nd 2015, 9:56 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by BEVS
Pah ! A hip, skip and jump

Try 11,426 miles.
Does that mean Glasgow?
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 10:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the world on everyone's doorstep?
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 10:35 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Does that mean Glasgow?
Careful!

You'll get pyoor malkied pal
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is much nearer to Asia that it is for Europeans, so isn't that a benefit?

But travelling from Oz to Europe isn't too bad. You can phone someone to-day and say "I'll see you tomorrow!" Before planes became cheap it used to take a month by ship, a good holiday though.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Australia is much nearer to Asia that it is for Europeans, so isn't that a benefit?

But travelling from Oz to Europe isn't too bad. You can phone someone to-day and say "I'll see you tomorrow!" Before planes became cheap it used to take a month by ship, a good holiday though.
Indeed!
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

And further back in the days of sail it took three longer than when steam took over. Of course the world was viewed very differently then and even going to France felt very foreign. Same goes for a lot of places.

Of course a benefit for those that enjoy Asia like myself, but there are plenty with limited to no interest in that region and would only go somewhere culturally similar.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

Are you more settled there now Aries? Adelaide has been very hot with bush fires, then they had floods! Now it is Perth's turn. Australia Day on Monday & a very hot week to follow.
It's true, we are very close to Asia here, especially Bali. But I would so love to visit Europe!
Often visit Adelaide to see our daughter. We get the train to Gawler & I think of your Sister living there in her retirement village.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:21 am
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold

An interesting discussion! I feel the same way as the OP and tend to agree with most of Pollyanna's and Grayling's comments about Aus.

I've been in Western Sydney /North-Western Sydney for almost 10 years now and I'm just over the heat, the sweating, the latent anti-pommy stuff, the high prices, the insularity, the blind optimism and the rest. I would love to move back to England, but unfortunately my Aussie wife is having none of it, as she is attached by umbilical cord to her family, who are all in Western Sydney. Very frustrating.

We go back every year, and indeed have just arrived back from a 5 week trip seeing family and friends in Sheffield, London, Hastings, Cheshire and York. We have a 5 year old and a 3 year old, so I'm thinking that soon would be good, if I can get the missus over the line, which is easier said than done.

If I'm honest, I have to admit that because I get paid more here (I'm a Primary school teacher), we'll suffer a drop in income if we do move back to England, but for me it'll be worth it, as the extra cash I earn tends to be spent on flights back home and all the rest, including hotels in parts of the country that I haven't been to for a while.

Another difficulty for me is that although I have many friends in England, they have spread out all over the place, because of jobs or wives. Most of my mates grew up in Sheffield, and I still have some good friends there, but several others moved away to Hastings, Bristol, Cheshire, South Wales and Surrey, so even if we did move back, choosing a location would be tricky.

I also miss the trips around the rest of Europe, which is so easy to do. In Australia, I tend to feel isolated and cut off from many things, and the time difference kills me when it comes to trying to watch a game of football
Old Jan 25th 2015, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amaike
Australia is a prohibitive place to travel from, especially with young children and the long haul flights and jet lag. When I lived in London the world was on the doorstep - now I struggle to find varied interesting things for them to do here.
Also with age the long haul from all accounts gets increasingly tiresome. Health insurance another issue worth consideration with ageing as well with the cost.

Small towns here charge more than was paying in southern Europe a few months back or pretty much equal or only a little more.

Too much is overpriced over the past decade. Value for money better to look elsewhere. That's where Asia on the doorstep comes in handy.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

jamaldn is an unknown quantity at this point

Luckily we are in Malaysia, feels in middle of anywhere in the world.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 3:22 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Also with age the long haul from all accounts gets increasingly tiresome. Health insurance another issue worth consideration with ageing as well with the cost.

Small towns here charge more than was paying in southern Europe a few months back or pretty much equal or only a little more.

Too much is overpriced over the past decade. Value for money better to look elsewhere. That's where Asia on the doorstep comes in handy.
yadda, yadda, whinge, yadda, yadda

put the needle on the record.........
Old Jan 25th 2015, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by black swan
Are you more settled there now Aries? Adelaide has been very hot with bush fires, then they had floods! Now it is Perth's turn. Australia Day on Monday & a very hot week to follow.
It's true, we are very close to Asia here, especially Bali. But I would so love to visit Europe!
Often visit Adelaide to see our daughter. We get the train to Gawler & I think of your Sister living there in her retirement village.
Thank you for asking. I could do with some of Adelaide's warmer weather, and indeed the flatness would be beneficial. I've developed a painful tear in my left knee, so living on the side of a hill in Torquay has become a serious problem. It is truly annoying that I can't play table tennis or travel to visit friends in Germany.

Gawler is a handy location for the Barossa Valley, do you manage to get there for a spot of sampling? Seppletsfield Winery is a marvellous place to go for lunch or a picnic, and the long palm tree avenue from the main road is captivating. The Barossa Valley | The Barossa | Discover Seppeltsfield Road
Old Jan 25th 2015, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

"It is truly annoying that I can't play table tennis or travel to visit friends in Germany."
Why not?
Old Jan 25th 2015, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by conniewalker
"It is truly annoying that I can't play table tennis or travel to visit friends in Germany."
Why not?
As my previous post mentioned, I have a painful knee. According to an orthopaedic surgeon it is caused by a degenerate medial meniscal tear, and because of my age, it will take time to repair itself. It happened about 6 weeks ago and appears to be getting worse rather than better. I can hardly walk, and hills and steps are agony for me. Playing table tennis which requires a lot of movement and knee pressure, or negotiating trains, stations and airports are therefore out of the question.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
yadda, yadda, whinge, yadda, yadda

put the needle on the record.........
You got something to say Heindrich? Or as usual of track on your own record. May I suggest you read the thread title and comment appropriately?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.