Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Jan 28th 2015, 5:59 pm
  #346  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 24
Plastic Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Ozzie, I've been on this forum 10 years - and have observed the worst complaints.

It's my honest to God view that most of the complaints end up being 'environmental'.

Yes, Australia is not an hour or 2 from Europe. We get that.

There have been some stories of pommy-bashing- well, we live in a nice little village in Melbourne SE - full of Anglophiles - and they will tell you! And - I don't think I have ever met a Pommy basher who actually meant it - but perhaps if I hunted in the burbs (or went to the N burbs of Perth) or elsewhere I might find one eventually.

A general point on complaints and peoples' stories:
I can honestly say for example that if you live in Australian suburbia ie. have an average existence AND (AND!) you don't like it -well that's your answer! I notice that a lot of complaints come from people who would be considered insular in the UK - yet they will consider Australians to be insular. I sometimes see the whole thing as like a factory floor where noone really likes each other, but in reality, everyone is as bad as each other.

For example, Western Sydney is known to be the pits.

I have found as the years have gone past that I have not so much assimilated but have found the inner and established Australia that in many cases is not so different from the UK. It is really hard to convey this on BE, as there are so many negative experiences that put some of my experiences in doubt (I get that!). If it wasn't for anonymity I could go into more detail but I can't.

I find many of my experiences differ to the complaints of many (which are still valid): eg lots of people like to rub Australian's noses on the negative aspects of their country. There is a school of thought, by a minority, on BE that nothing Australian can be surely any good - or if it is, it is just hot air.

I have met some very interesting people who are 100pc different to the people that expats complain about. I have met Australians whose culture is very real to them - and that they do live a life that is quite unique and to them, there are very real ancestral values - based on the distance - the isolation - people scoff at this on BE - but it is real - if you go there - if you meet the more interesting people.

My contribution is - avoid the banal and commonplace and Australia can get very interesting indeed. (Turn off the effing TV!) And of course, do a big trip once every few years - don't just go on hols - go and speak another language in another place- educate the kids (etc).
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
As a Londoner with a slight Aus accent, I felt more of a foreigner in North Wales than I ever did in Australia, Encountered more predjudice as well. Thats my Story. No one has ever "offered me out" just for ordering a beer in a pub in Australia, just on my supposed cockney accent. Happened more than once around Rhyl and Prestatyn... over age of 40 at the time, as well and with 15 years of OZ accent under my belt. Moral is some people are more of a foreigner in their own land than they are in a perceived foreign land. Octogearian Parents still cop it occasionally in their retirement destination.... They wouldn't have to the same degree here In Melbourne's North..I'm certain of that.

I get very confused when I see this anti pom stuff as I've rarely encountered it in my 35 years here..... I think it must be a mainly provincial thing.


Final Edit.... In fact, my accent, watered down as it is after all these years, still earns me compliments from strangers, mostly females in shops, which makes my day on the odd occasion when it happens, which is a few times a year... not bad after all this time here. Maybe it's because relatively speaking your English migrant is by far in the minority in these parts. I'd go as far to say if anyone wants to benefit and be complimented and welcomed for being a English/UK Migrant, move to Melbournes North.

I consider this forum as one for potential and current immigrants to Australia rather than potential visitors to Rhyl in North Wales so I shall choose to ignore your experience of a pub in North Wales
If you care to read many submissions from many people on this web site alone you will find evidence of Anti British behaviour
Likewise in terms of your assumption that "anti Pom behaviour" is linked to provincialism I can only assume that you consider it linked to the part of Britain one originates which is not true
I lived on Cabramatta migrant hostel where people from every part of the British Isles suffered verbal and physical attacks .in fact many people from Wales Scotland and Ireland became indignant with the label "Pom" ie English To no avail the Ocker Australians still bashed them
I would assume that you have gone native and chose to be Australian rather than British which is a smart move if one chooses to stay there .
Not sure at what you are trying to say in terms of elderly people ?
Plastic Scouse is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2015, 6:25 pm
  #347  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Now Devon
Posts: 951
aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

I suffered little racial abuse during my half century in Australia, and when it did occur I just brushed it aside. I would certainly recommend Australia for Brits to live.

My strangest experience of reverse discrimination was when I sat on a bench in the shade with my back to several Aboriginal women. I turned to speak with them, and after a few minutes the leader of the group asked why I was sitting with them, whites don't usually do this. We continued to chat until a group of very noisy Aboriginal males turned up, and began to use bad language. The woman promptly told them off saying it wasn't nice in front of her new friend.
aries is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2015, 6:41 pm
  #348  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14,040
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

I get called English when in Oz and Australian when in the UK. Joys of being a ping pommer. I get more grief in the UK as an Australian than I do in Australia for being English.

Neither are racism in a nasty sense. Just jibes. I find Brits tend to like to pick a difference in someone and pick it to shreds more than Aussies do.
Beoz is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2015, 7:22 pm
  #349  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 24
Plastic Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by aries
I suffered little racial abuse during my half century in Australia, and when it did occur I just brushed it aside. I would certainly recommend Australia for Brits to live.

My strangest experience of reverse discrimination was when I sat on a bench in the shade with my back to several Aboriginal women. I turned to speak with them, and after a few minutes the leader of the group asked why I was sitting with them, whites don't usually do this. We continued to chat until a group of very noisy Aboriginal males turned up, and began to use bad language. The woman promptly told them off saying it wasn't nice in front of her new friend.
I would imagine that the Aboriginal people find it hard to brush it aside sitting on the margins of "white" society"
Plastic Scouse is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2015, 9:23 pm
  #350  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
ozzieeagle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,526
ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Plastic Scouse
I consider this forum as one for potential and current immigrants to Australia rather than potential visitors to Rhyl in North Wales so I shall choose to ignore your experience of a pub in North Wales
If you care to read many submissions from many people on this web site alone you will find evidence of Anti British behaviour
Likewise in terms of your assumption that "anti Pom behaviour" is linked to provincialism I can only assume that you consider it linked to the part of Britain one originates which is not true
I lived on Cabramatta migrant hostel where people from every part of the British Isles suffered verbal and physical attacks .in fact many people from Wales Scotland and Ireland became indignant with the label "Pom" ie English To no avail the Ocker Australians still bashed them
I would assume that you have gone native and chose to be Australian rather than British which is a smart move if one chooses to stay there .
Not sure at what you are trying to say in terms of elderly people ?

How far back are you going with that Cabramatta Hostel ? AFAIK hostels haven't existed for UK migrants in over 40 years...certainly not in my time here. I know that UK migrants had a very bad time here in the 60's and Early 70's but times were very different then and Australia has moved on.
I think my experience of visiting my newly retired Parents in their new locale in North Wales is pertinant because I was not prepared for the level of hostility towards me as a perceived Londoner after living in Australia for 15 years, something I'd never ever experienced in Australia and something I was unprepared for at age 42.... It happened in more than one place.

It's little wonder I've gone native as you say, as I have a Aussie wife. who I married prior to migrating and 4 Aussie kids and plenty of Australian family as in laws, So I came here able to share some links to the past, albeit my wifes past So that doubled the confusion I had with the reaction in Wales, feeling as Australian as I did, even after just 15 years in Aus..


Football was the one thing I really missed about the UK especially after going to most Palace home and away games through the late 60's and all of the 70's over 300 in all... However one thing that did wear off was the desperate feeling of following a team in the wee small hours of the morning... that is desperation eptiomised in my book. Probably a true sign that one hasn't assimilated. The A league has been one of the best things to happen to me in this country and I now go to every home Melbourne Victory game and some of the away games.... bugger getting up at 3am that for me is a very regressive step. I still follow my UK team, but I happily as testament by my avatar support my Australian team along with 100's of other ex pats, if meeting my old fellow countrymen at games is any sign.


So my history here is every bit as valid as yours. Although I've got the twist of being treated badly as a Londoner back in the old dart after living here for 15 years. That is one hell of a odd feeling.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 28th 2015 at 9:27 pm.
ozzieeagle is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2015, 12:27 pm
  #351  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 24,246
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Plastic Scouse
To get into a deep debt situation one must deny the existence of the debt
It is called being in "denial"
I believe from the first fleet right up to today the British have changed Australia from a wilderness to one suitable for maybe 20 million people to live in.
Settlers merinos craftsmen artisans and even a few artists musicians
I am amazed that in places like Canada and the USA British people are liked and welcomed with open arms like cousins but in Australia not always the case
When you are on the receiving end of a racist outburst it is hurtful

I must say the Australians on this website have so far .......failed to link the term "whinging" to my points of view and my British nationality
They owe nothing

Poms, like most other migrants, are welcomed here - it's just that some have chips on their shoulders and are uber-sensitive (a national trait unfortunately). If an Aussie bites you shit, give it back with interest. Not go off sulking like many do

BTW, a white Australian giving it to a white Briton is not being 'racist'. British and Australian are not races - saying they are is over-sensitive, PC, socialist nonsense
Amazulu is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2015, 12:31 pm
  #352  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 24,246
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Plastic Scouse
I consider this forum as one for potential and current immigrants to Australia rather than potential visitors to Rhyl in North Wales so I shall choose to ignore your experience of a pub in North Wales
If you care to read many submissions from many people on this web site alone you will find evidence of Anti British behaviour
Likewise in terms of your assumption that "anti Pom behaviour" is linked to provincialism I can only assume that you consider it linked to the part of Britain one originates which is not true
I lived on Cabramatta migrant hostel where people from every part of the British Isles suffered verbal and physical attacks .in fact many people from Wales Scotland and Ireland became indignant with the label "Pom" ie English To no avail the Ocker Australians still bashed them
I would assume that you have gone native and chose to be Australian rather than British which is a smart move if one chooses to stay there .
Not sure at what you are trying to say in terms of elderly people ?
What is the point of your posts?

5 posts in and it looks like you are only on here to stir up a bit of shit

Nothing wrong with that BTW if that's what floats your boat but kind of bizarre though
Amazulu is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2015, 12:39 pm
  #353  
Still alive
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,994
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Amazulu
They owe nothing

Poms, like most other migrants, are welcomed here - it's just that some have chips on their shoulders and are uber-sensitive (a national trait unfortunately). If an Aussie bites you shit, give it back with interest. Not go off sulking like many do

BTW, a white Australian giving it to a white Briton is not being 'racist'. British and Australian are not races - saying they are is over-sensitive, PC, socialist nonsense
Have I told you lately how much I love you?
Dorothy is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2015, 12:42 pm
  #354  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,493
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Amazulu
They owe nothing

Poms, like most other migrants, are welcomed here - it's just that some have chips on their shoulders and are uber-sensitive (a national trait unfortunately). If an Aussie bites you shit, give it back with interest. Not go off sulking like many do

BTW, a white Australian giving it to a white Briton is not being 'racist'. British and Australian are not races - saying they are is over-sensitive, PC, socialist nonsense
Don't forget some do get abused simply because they're complete tools.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2015, 12:46 pm
  #355  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 24,246
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Don't forget some do get abused simply because they're complete tools.
Yep - and there are also that group of people called life's victims

We all know some of these people and BE has more than it's fair share
Amazulu is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2015, 12:47 pm
  #356  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 24,246
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Have I told you lately how much I love you?
No
Amazulu is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2015, 1:11 pm
  #357  
Still alive
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,994
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No
See post #353
Dorothy is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2015, 1:22 pm
  #358  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 24
Plastic Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Amazulu
What is the point of your posts?

5 posts in and it looks like you are only on here to stir up a bit of shit

Nothing wrong with that BTW if that's what floats your boat but kind of bizarre though
I know it may be difficult for you to do joined up thinking but try to read the first sentence again
The purpose of this website is I assume to help potential and actual immigrants from Britain to Australia
I think that potential british migrants should be made very aware of boorish people like yourself
If you wish to help potential British migrants to actually go to Australia I think you should help your country by desisting from writing Anti British rants and using foul language
Begs the question why on earth you wish to engage with British people with the chips you are carrying but I suppose you like to see how a cultured conversation is generated ? Or simply you like to look at what we are saying about Australia ?
What help are you giving to British immigrants?
Apologies if this is a rather long missive for you to read.
Plastic Scouse is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2015, 1:47 pm
  #359  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,493
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Plastic Scouse
I know it may be difficult for you to do joined up thinking but try to read the first sentence again
The purpose of this website is I assume to help potential and actual immigrants from Britain to Australia
I think that potential british migrants should be made very aware of boorish people like yourself
If you wish to help potential British migrants to actually go to Australia I think you should help your country by desisting from writing Anti British rants and using foul language
Begs the question why on earth you wish to engage with British people with the chips you are carrying but I suppose you like to see how a cultured conversation is generated ? Or simply you like to look at what we are saying about Australia ?
What help are you giving to British immigrants?
Apologies if this is a rather long missive for you to read.
Wow Trying to patronise on your first day on BE. That could be some sort of record. New members are always very welcome but most of us do try and settle down and see how things work before we start with the attitude.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2015, 5:41 pm
  #360  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 401
Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Beoz
As someone who as lived as many years in Oz as I have in the UK I'm a firm believer that migrant successes and failures in both countries are down to the individual. We more often than not hear the failures on BE but where are the boasting success stories? They are there. I know them personally. Perhaps the successful are too busy being successful rather than boasting here on BE.
I think some define success in too black or white a fashion, as well. We did 6 happy years in Oz, came back to the UK for a number of reasons which boil down to the UK suiting us better right now. I don't consider us failures but then we never hated the UK and didn't go to Oz thinking it was utopia. I find it odd when people try and commiserate with us about 'things not working out', as far as we're concerned things worked out brilliantly! We will no doubt live overseas again within the next few years, maybe Oz, maybe not, maybe we'll move somewhere forever, maybe not.

For context though, I'm not UK born and the country in which I've lived longest is neither the UK nor Oz. I also know that for some it is make or break insofar as moving kids/careers/finances and they don't have the luxury of wandering the world as the whim takes them, so for them perhaps it is more black or white in terms of whether they succeed or fail. For a lot of us though there are a whole host of colours going on!
Almo is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.