Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Aussie (moved from Welcome Inn)

Aussie Aussie (moved from Welcome Inn)

Old Apr 20th 2015, 4:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Aussie (moved from Welcome Inn)

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I relay what The Age research showed. Not backing off by any means as Australia is bloody expensive for what it is. I doubt it matters whether Australia is top, it is very close to it. While super may sound the hottest game in town to right wingers , fact being of course is unlikely to continue being the rort it is at present into the future.
Besides that too tempting for a government to keep their hands of further down the track.

Norway of course pays all well. At least in that country one is assured the essential things in life so hasn't the same onus to save for old age or illness as in Australia.
Okay, I'm getting it. Pensions provided by a SWF in Norway - good, $2t (and compounding) in super in Australia - bad

Wow

Australia assures the 'essential things in life' through Centrelink and Medicare but apparently that's shit. But then I was forgetting - everything is better everywhere else than in Australia according to you

As I was saying previously, Australia is expensive but not the most expensive. Good to see that you have acknowledged your error

According to Numbeo (the best resources for COL comparisons). Australia is the 6th most expensive country in the world and of the 5 countries more expensive than Australia, I consider Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Denmark to be peers of Australia in relation to lifestyle, quality of life etc
Old Apr 20th 2015, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Okay, I'm getting it. Pensions provided by a SWF in Norway - good, $2t (and compounding) in super in Australia - bad

Wow

Australia assures the 'essential things in life' through Centrelink and Medicare but apparently that's shit. But then I was forgetting - everything is better everywhere else than in Australia according to you

As I was saying previously, Australia is expensive but not the most expensive. Good to see that you have acknowledged your error

According to Numbeo (the best resources for COL comparisons). Australia is the 6th most expensive country in the world and of the 5 countries more expensive than Australia, I consider Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Denmark to be peers of Australia in relation to lifestyle, quality of life etc
Numbeo

Interesting site. Just did a London Sydney compare. Wow I didnt think London was considered so expensive compared to Sydney. Couldn't quite tell if they factored in salaries though they do have an average salary section where London got a kicking again. As my research suggests, if you were thinking about which city to live in based on cost and salaries, Sydney is going to win that argument right now
Old Apr 20th 2015, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Numbeo

Just did a Sydney Brisbane. Interestingly the difference in average monthly salaries after tax is $500 per month. The difference in average rent is also approx $500 per month. There are some other surpises in the compare too.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 6:52 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Numbeo

Interesting site. Just did a London Sydney compare. Wow I didnt think London was considered so expensive compared to Sydney. Couldn't quite tell if they factored in salaries though they do have an average salary section where London got a kicking again. As my research suggests, if you were thinking about which city to live in based on cost and salaries, Sydney is going to win that argument right now

Maybe - though there are more higher paying jobs [for me] in London, so I stand a better chance of getting a higher paying job than I do in Sydney.

So much of this stuff is completely subjective and case by case though. I don't hold much stock in them beyond general comparisons.

S
Old Apr 20th 2015, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Maybe - though there are more higher paying jobs [for me] in London, so I stand a better chance of getting a higher paying job than I do in Sydney.

So much of this stuff is completely subjective and case by case though. I don't hold much stock in them beyond general comparisons.

S
Yep. London does have a greater earning potential at the top end. The ceiling in Sydney does tend to be lower. I have heard that I could probably do a lot better in London in 2015 than I did back in 2011 when I left working on infrastructure projects. It would be a contract position though.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yep. London does have a greater earning potential at the top end. The ceiling in Sydney does tend to be lower. I have heard that I could probably do a lot better in London in 2015 than I did back in 2011 when I left working on infrastructure projects. It would be a contract position though.
Opposite for me. London was never part of our plan when we came to the UK a few years ago. If London had been somewhere I wanted to work, the numbers don't stack up for me. We've always been better off outside of London as the delta for me working in London is only about £25-30k pa above what I earn outside and at 50 yrs old, my time is worth more to me than that ( wouldn't even consider living there as our lifestyle doesn't gel with the place).

Always done alright in Sydney. Having said that, I know exactly what my expenses are in Sydney, the sytem, the workarounds etc. I know in London you can accumulate flexi benefits for transport, lunch etc but have no idea how that stacks up in the real world. Still wouldn't go to London though, if it was my only option, I would have stayed in Oz.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Wow

Glad you are making the attempt to see beyond your own rhetoric.
Super will very unlikely remain the tax dodge it is at present. Besides being at the mercy of the markets for most it is a too vulnerable target of government to change conditions at will not to say to tap into it.
Few guarantees with anything in Australia, come to think of it with the frequency rules change.
Northern Europe pretty much assured of pension on retirement and can easily plan accordingly.

For an accurate relation to quality of life you need to measure apples with apples. The superior welfare system, though declined from its height still in most Nordic countries ensues the highest living standards in the world.
A bit more than the essentials as you rightly document. Yes I do think the rights earnest desire to take Australia down the neo liberal path is shit. So will most others when/if they experience it.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

omg... now I'm scared shitless about ever making it over to Australia
Old May 3rd 2015, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
omg... now I'm scared shitless about ever making it over to Australia
There are no midnight knocks on the door with dissents dragged away never to be seen again as of yet so your life should remain in tact. Everything else is much to the will of the gods, though meaning corporate big business which increasingly runs the agenda.

You would be better of being a labourer and charging as a heart surgeon for skills performed. Whether that is repairing a down pipe or unblocking a gutter or mowing a lawn or chomping down a tree it matters not a great deal. Just think of a figure in your head and multiple it by two and your in business.

Only a fool works for a salary or wages.
Old May 3rd 2015, 6:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Only a fool works for a salary or wages.
You really know how to make friends don't you
Old May 4th 2015, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You really know how to make friends don't you
What makes it worse is I classify myself well and truly among the fools.
I seem to recall the concept of friendship being suggested as over rated anyway. I wouldn't know. Too busy on the altar of self sacrifice.
Old May 4th 2015, 9:20 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Too busy on the altar of self sacrifice.
Must be a tight fit, sharing space as it does with the alter of self-appointed expert
Old May 4th 2015, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What makes it worse is I classify myself well and truly among the fools.
I seem to recall the concept of friendship being suggested as over rated anyway. I wouldn't know. Too busy on the altar of self sacrifice.
Got a link for that?