Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old May 13th 2011, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Retailers the world over will charge what they think the market can take. If they think they can charge more in Australia for the same products then they will do. That doesn't make Australians "mugs".
It does because they are stupid for paying it. They don't know any better though i suppose. For example - you can get a book from Dymmocks for $30, but you can order it from Book Depository or Amazon for $15 and you don't need it in the next week. If you buy it from Dymmocks and you know about BD or Amazon, then you like giving your money away and must be stupid.
Old May 13th 2011, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Complete rubbish.
Ok I give up with you. What I've said is from what I've seen with my own eyes. A lot of people agree that the prices are exhorbitant and the fuel prices effect the entire world yet still flights out of Oz are higher than the same routed flight from the other direction.

This I have seen, this I know yet I say my piece for others to make up their own minds. If you believe otherwise then so be it but I for one feel 'stuck' in Oz, heck even my state, cos it's SOOOOOOOO fricking expensive to fly within and out of Oz. End of story

Last edited by denzil73; May 13th 2011 at 4:28 am.
Old May 13th 2011, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Still at a loss as to why QANTAS is being blamed. When you book an Aus-UK-Aus flight with Virgin and get it for the same price as it would be UK-Aus_UK then I'll take notice.

As to your other comments, you can't buy Aus-UK-Aus flights from anywhere other than Aus so you can complain all you like and call the Australians mugs but if you need to fly overseas, you pay the price.
Ok not just Qantas. All these gits ripping us off.

So do you actually think Australia isn't a rip off?
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't defending anyone. Everyone's eyes (on here at least) are already open regarding the cost of flights. We know they're exhorbitant, there are countless threads on the subject and many of us don't go back to the UK for holidays for that very reason. Some of us don't go back because we don't want to but that's another story.

Cool bananas dude
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
Ok I give up with you. What I've said is from what I've seen with my own eyes. A lot of people agree that the prices are exhorbitant and the fuel prices effect the entire world yet still flights out of Oz are higher than the same routed flight out.

This I have seen, this I know yet I say my piece for others to make up their own minds. If you believe otherwise then so be it but I for one feel 'stuck' in Oz, heck even my state, cos it's SOOOOOOOO fricking expensive to fly within and out of Oz. End of story
I flew to Auckland last weekend...it cost $150 return.

I haven't disputed that the fare for the Aus market on the UK route is higher...it's just your reasons that are wrong / a figment of your imagination.
Old May 13th 2011, 4:27 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by itxrd
It does because they are stupid for paying it. They don't know any better though i suppose. For example - you can get a book from Dymmocks for $30, but you can order it from Book Depository or Amazon for $15 and you don't need it in the next week. If you buy it from Dymmocks and you know about BD or Amazon, then you like giving your money away and must be stupid.
What do you suggest they do about the Woolies/Coles duopoly.... stop eating to teach them a lesson?

Books prices are regulated by Australian Gov... and who buys books anymore anyway?
Old May 13th 2011, 4:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I give up with you. What I've said is from what I've seen with my own eyes. A lot of people agree that the prices are exhorbitant and the fuel prices effect the entire world yet still flights out of Oz are higher than the same routed flight out.

No one's arguing that the prices of flights are exhorbitant or that they don't believe you. They're arguing about your 'facts'.
Old May 13th 2011, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

What do you suggest they do about the Woolies/Coles duopoly.... stop eating to teach them a lesson?

Books prices are regulated by Australian Gov... and who buys books anymore anyway?
Buy from private butchers and grocers that are normally cheaper in the bigger cities.

Oz seems very lax at letting virtual monopolies exist and letting adverts and songs with swearing in be played during 'watershed' hours. Just throw that in there too. Heck I'd never say any country has it truely sorted but bugger me I've noticed Oz is very poorly run. My dad said it's run by CEO's and not politicians. Can see his point, funny bugger
Old May 13th 2011, 4:37 am
Account Closed

Buy from private butchers and grocers that are normally cheaper in the bigger cities.
Cobblers.
Old May 13th 2011, 4:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, god, don't start Creature off on the 'cheaper in the small shops' thing A large amount of people don't live in the bigger cities so don't have that pleasure.
Old May 13th 2011, 4:40 am
Account Closed

Oh, god, don't start Creature off on the 'cheaper in the small shops' thing A large amount of people don't live in the bigger cities so don't have that pleasure.
Old May 13th 2011, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

No one's arguing that the prices of flights are exhorbitant or that they don't believe you. They're arguing about your 'facts'.
My facts are what I've witnessed with my own eyes I'm afraid. Not as if I could backdate the data cos I wouldn't be able to find it.

Like I said I know what I have seen and I can intuitively see that it's not right. So, just throwing my two penniths in and just like JFK, unless you can prove it was the grassy knol shooter then we'll just toe the line and continue to heamorage money into companies that don't deserve it.
Old May 13th 2011, 4:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

My facts are what I've witnessed with my own eyes I'm afraid. Not as if I could backdate the data cos I wouldn't be able to find it.

Like I said I know what I have seen and I can intuitively see that it's not right. So, just throwing my two penniths in and just like JFK, unless you can prove it was the grassy knol shooter then we'll just toe the line and continue to heamorage money into companies that don't deserve it.
There seems to be a communication error going on. Never mind.
Old May 13th 2011, 4:55 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Cobblers.
You can't get a decent one of those here either, far superior service in the UK
Old May 13th 2011, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

There seems to be a communication error going on. Never mind.
True. Reckon we may well be on the same page just I'm reading it in German

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.