Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old May 11th 2011, 11:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by hevs
Eh? Was I talking about the UK? I was just sayin....in general, buy food in season....

And I was agreeing with you - in a roundabout way!
Old May 11th 2011, 11:51 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And I was agreeing with you - in a roundabout way!
Must have missed it,
Old May 11th 2011, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
BUT! Its how its supposed to be...... fresh food is what is grow and pulled up and then cooked (Had some yummy spring onions from my garden yesterday) Not grown, covered in preservatives, shipped thousands of K's (with SPIDERS!) then served

We had tomatoes from Feb - May (yes May!) this year and harvested a hundred a week.

Let someone cost up their tomato bill for the same period - a family who has them in sandwiches a lot!

Now our broccoli is going well.
Old May 12th 2011, 2:30 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

We had tomatoes from Feb - May (yes May!) this year and harvested a hundred a week.

Let someone cost up their tomato bill for the same period - a family who has them in sandwiches a lot!

Now our broccoli is going well.
Yeah I have about 2 toms left I froze so many I dont think we'll need tinned toms for a while

My brocoli got white butterflied, so its looking pretty ordinary. Still getting chilis/ sweet chillis, carrots, parsnips, spring onions and lettuce though
Old May 12th 2011, 2:55 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Malaysia is a country that I don't consider to be impovrished, so no.
But Malaysia does have a reputation for being brutal with refugees
Old May 12th 2011, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Oz has caught up BIG time with the cost of houses and general living in the last 4-5 years and much more than inflation than the UK or US.

A Brissy townhouse 35k outside of town in a not great suburb was about $47k in 2002-3 and now is going for $200-260k with no real reno work being done to it. That's pretty bad but the locals just put up with it cos that generation had it good and have paid their mortgage off already. The new generation on a basic office wage need both partners wages just to rent a small apartment 20k from town let alone save for the mortgage down payment.

Woolies the 'fresh' food people my arse!!!!!! If in more affluent areas they get the food right from the cold storage distributors and then over a few weeks it gets moved to lesser stores until in the bogan suburbs it's rotten and gross. In saying that tho they do take the piss with tomatoes even in the 'good' stores.
Woolies and Coles are a duopoly that the bogan government does nothing about cos its good for business and they rip the public off.

Anything essential, underwear, batteries, sewing goods and much more are far more expensive by multiples compared to other countries and even if the client base is smaller does NOT account for the higher price.

I earn $90k a year and the missus $30k and with a $350k mortgage we bearly have enough money for entertainment after fuel and groceries.

Oh and the increase in fuel due to the floods cos the refineries in Brissy were damaged is crap. I work in that sector and know that the water never reached the storage tanks let alone the refinery part.

The flood did however wipe out banana and other fruit crops so that will go up for a while but it better come down unless they hope people will get used to the price and keep it high. Oh yes Woolies you know you will
Old May 12th 2011, 4:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
But Malaysia does have a reputation for being brutal with refugees
Malaysia is fine - a much better place than Afghanistan or Iraq, so they will be okay
Old May 12th 2011, 5:05 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by denzil73
Woolies the 'fresh' food people my arse!!!!!! If in more affluent areas they get the food right from the cold storage distributors and then over a few weeks it gets moved to lesser stores until in the bogan suburbs it's rotten and gross. :
If you can prove that I suggest you get straight onto the news media. Can you?
Old May 12th 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
If you can prove that I suggest you get straight onto the news media. Can you?
This is from what an employee friend told me that goods are passed from store to store plus that as the in-laws live in a much nicer suburb plus we shop at 3 different Woolies depending what we are doing then we have definately noticed the difference in freshness of goods between stores. Also, Coles seems to have the same difference.

To prove it would mean going undercover but even so the media wouldn't take it up as it is bad for such a large Oz company and think how much advertising they would lose.

Years ago I asked them to investigate the rip off of Qantas ticket pricing. Wait for this one. Take a flight from London to sydney using Qantas/ British airways One World flights. Person in the UK gets it for at least a third less and has airport tax included and that was at the worst the exchange rate was at $2.54 to the pound. If you change the origin point to Sydney you pay a third more plus $400 in airport taxes. Qantas failed to reply to my complaint and the new companies did not respond after a few months of asking.

Odd what
Old May 13th 2011, 12:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago I asked them to investigate the rip off of Qantas ticket pricing. Wait for this one. Take a flight from London to sydney using Qantas/ British airways One World flights. Person in the UK gets it for at least a third less and has airport tax included and that was at the worst the exchange rate was at $2.54 to the pound. If you change the origin point to Sydney you pay a third more plus $400 in airport taxes. Qantas failed to reply to my complaint and the new companies did not respond after a few months of asking.
Simple law of supply & demand...what needs to be explained? I don't really understand your point about the airport taxes...on a return journey the airport taxes are exactly the same regardless of where you start.
Old May 13th 2011, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcworld
Simple law of supply & demand...what needs to be explained? I don't really understand your point about the airport taxes...on a return journey the airport taxes are exactly the same regardless of where you start.

Yea I get supply and demand but when everytime I've done the trip the plane is jam packed so they appear to have the demand there. The airport taxes are included in your plane ticket from UK but not from Oz. Qantas cleverly seperated that years ago.

I've checked the pricing many times over the years and the same flight on the same day, no matter what date, will always come back with the UK return flight with the UK as the origin being a third the price of the Oz return flight with Oz as the origin. I would never say this if I hadn't check it out thoroughly. I don't like people that say things from heresay or just what they believe instead of checking the facts first and so won't do that myself cos first thing people will say is you're an idiot or worse.
Old May 13th 2011, 2:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The airport taxes are included in your plane ticket from UK but not from Oz. Qantas cleverly seperated that years ago.
Please explain, this makes no sense.

I've checked the pricing many times over the years and the same flight on the same day, no matter what date, will always come back with the UK return flight with the UK as the origin being a third the price of the Oz return flight with Oz as the origin. I would never say this if I hadn't check it out thoroughly. I don't like people that say things from heresay or just what they believe instead of checking the facts first and so won't do that myself cos first thing people will say is you're an idiot or worse.
How can it be the same flight on the same day, not possible?

Yes, the fares are different...do you expect all things to be priced the same in all markets? You've just ignored the supply & demand point. The airline will set the fare at the optimum rate to fill seats & make the most money...it's called running a business.
Old May 13th 2011, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcworld
Please explain, this makes no sense.

How can it be the same flight on the same day, not possible?
Don't get smart and you just change the origin for that day on the websites and watch the different prices come back.

I have nothing against people making a profit but not when it's a blatant rip off. I don't believe in giving some fat cat my hard earned for NO good reason.

I'd like to see the numbers from each side to see why the difference exists. unless someone can do that then I'll never trust Qantas and their over priced airfares.
Old May 13th 2011, 2:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm at a loss as to why you're blaming QANTAS for this?
Old May 13th 2011, 2:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Don't get smart and you just change the origin for that day on the websites and watch the different prices come back.

I have nothing against people making a profit but not when it's a blatant rip off. I don't believe in giving some fat cat my hard earned for NO good reason.

I'd like to see the numbers from each side to see why the difference exists. unless someone can do that then I'll never trust Qantas and their over priced airfares.
So not the same flight, so one of the flights your are comparing may have sold out of deeply discounted economy and the other not.

But it has nothing to do with Qantas anyway. ALL the airlines have different fares in different markets. And when Qantas advertises a fare it includes airport taxes...they're not allowed to do otherwise.

If the planes are always rammed full as you say, perhaps Qantas aren't charging enough!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.