Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Old Oct 25th 2008, 5:54 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Many thanks to Angela and Sarah for meeting up with my son & daughter-in-law on Thursday for coffee.

They really appreciated you taking the time to meet with them and look forward to meeting up with you again when they are down here permanently.

See you soon,

Gillian
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome - hope to see you all again soon
Old Oct 26th 2008, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Just found this website:

frasercoastevents.com.au

Its a great website for those of you about to move to Hervey Bay, or those in Hervey Bay to let you know what's going on.

Love the sound of Carols by Candlelight, shame I won't be there in time for it. Next year though!

We will be there in time for the Whale Festival, the Seafod Festival and of course I didn't fail to notice the annual "Worlds Greatest Pub Crawl" in Maryborough next June that gets into the Guiness Book of Records. Like the sound of that!

Noticed there are loads of events for kids which is fab.

On that website there seems to be absolutely loads of events I would be interested in - as well as the above, there are Xmas markets, Jazz and Blues Festival, Shakespeare in the Park, and plenty more.

Out of interest, are ALL the above local events well attended? Or is it just the bigger annual events that are popular ? Or am I viewing these with the over excitement of a newbie to the area? X
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

clothmama will become famous soon enough

sounds like there are a good few things on - great news!!

Well after many discussions we have decided to pack up here in the next couple of weeks and get our life started up there: this means we can be settled for xmas, possibly get Josh into school for a couple of weeks / join cubs ect so he is settled for the new school term next year.

SOOO can someone recommend a good campsite (not one of the beachfront ones, we stayed there last month, fine for a holiday but thought we'd be better somewhere quieter for house hunting).

Also any tips on areas not to go for: we are looking at Point Vernon and Pialba as these are close for me to get to uni - any thoughts?

Are we going to die of humidity or is it bearable?

Very excited / scared (more packing!!!). And re schools are there any that aren't huge (primary)? Any to steer clear of?

Hope we can meet up with some of you when we get there to get some insider info before committing to a rental / school!

TIA for your help!!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Lil Lis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clothmama
I was spending lots of time in the water up there when it was 'sighted' - scary stuff

Still very excited about moving up there. We've decided to let ds1 finish the school year down here then come up in Jan. After many hours of research we have also decided not to go ahead with buying the block of land we found at Craignish but to rent instead. We'll be looking for something in town, walk to beach if possible, that way I can bike to uni, easy for kids etc. Also means any of the schools will be good to get Josh to. Do school buses run all over the place? Any primary school with reputation of being the best or are the all ok?

G&T sounds like a hugely sensible thing to have and I'm thrilled there is a medicinal benefit to it!!!!

Have any of you got similar aged kids to mine - 2.5 and 7.5? Does anyone have kids that go to Sea Scouts - spotted that and thought that looked like fun for Josh?
Hiya...I have been really busy at work lately...so anyone looking for a rental or house to buy dont forget to come & see me or pm or reply to me....I work at harcourts, have some really great rentals on our books at the moment & getting new properties all the time. If anyone has a facebook page Harcourts Hervey Bay also have one u will also see the team on there as well. Let me know what price range you are looking for & I will keep my eyes open for you all. Vodka & tonic with a slice of lemon is also good

Cheers to you all....
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Lil Lis is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Originally Posted by clothmama
sounds like there are a good few things on - great news!!

Well after many discussions we have decided to pack up here in the next couple of weeks and get our life started up there: this means we can be settled for xmas, possibly get Josh into school for a couple of weeks / join cubs ect so he is settled for the new school term next year.

SOOO can someone recommend a good campsite (not one of the beachfront ones, we stayed there last month, fine for a holiday but thought we'd be better somewhere quieter for house hunting).

Also any tips on areas not to go for: we are looking at Point Vernon and Pialba as these are close for me to get to uni - any thoughts?

Are we going to die of humidity or is it bearable?

Very excited / scared (more packing!!!). And re schools are there any that aren't huge (primary)? Any to steer clear of?

Hope we can meet up with some of you when we get there to get some insider info before committing to a rental / school!

TIA for your help!!
Hiya... when we moved here from the Gold Coast my 2 kids went to Torquay State School there is about 300 kids in the whole school, now they both go to Urangan High which is a larger school of about 1800 kids but i have heard xavier catholic college is a good school so i think it is a matter of choice of public or private?
Have fun packing
Cheers
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Mine go to kawungan which is probably the biggest primary (1000 kids). That said they seem to seperate them quite well on the oval etc and it does make for better sports teams (LOL). It does have a good reputation in the bay but I know large schools don't suit everyone.

Really do think you should get here and go look for yourself and that'll give you the best idea and then ask people about the ones that feel right to YOU.

LIL LIS - do you just do rentals? Or sales too? Not just yet but hopefully willbe looking soon.....
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

missdaisymay will become famous soon enough

Good morning all,

Clothmama, congrats on your decision to move here shortly. The "Bay" is looking lovely at the moment. We've had a bit of rain, and some warmer days, so our parks and gardens are looking green and lovely, and at present the Jacaranda trees are in flower so we have purple flowered trees everywhere with purple carpeted lawns beneath them. By the time you arrive, the ponciannas will be in flower, so all the trees will be red/orange with matching carpets below.

We love summer in the bay! and yes it does get hot and humid. If you planning to come shortly i would be booking accommodation very very soon as our population tends to double during the xmas/school holidays andis often booked way ahead. As to camping parks, i wouldnt stray too far from the water as you want to take advantage of cool sea breezes. Theres a couple of lovely parks in point vernon, theres a nice one in Torquay called shelley beach thats a short stroll to the beach. I'm not sure on camping facilities at these parks but if you google caravan parks Point Vernon, you get a map and links to all the caravan parks here.

Just remember you are coming in summer, and we can and do get summer afternoon/evening storms. These are usually short, sharp and blustery. Occassionally we get hail with them. And it's hot, but being sensible and not letting yourself burn to a crisp and get out of the heat in the middle of the day and you'll be fine. So if camping for you means a tent, be prepared. if you have a look at the following web site, it has a lot of info on temperatures, weather conditions and statistics for Hervey Bay

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/qld/wi...ett/hervey-bay

Enjoy your packing!

Donna.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:33 pm
ClairePagani

Pagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nice

Hi Everyone

Glad to see this post is still going so strong after I started it months ago. Just to let you all (Donna especially, who has been so helpful) know that I got offered a job in Maroochydore which I have accepted and we arrive in Oz on the 31st December - NEW YEAR, NEW LIFE.

I still read the Hervey Bay posts and still feel as if I am a resident there even though I've never been there. Although we had always planned on settling in Hervey Bay, and my hubbie visited there in April to gather info for setting up base, the job has taken us elsewhere. So just want to wish you all lots and lots of luck with all your moves and endeavours. We will visit Hervey Bay and maybe bump into some of you when we get there.

ALL THE BEST TO EVERYONE

Claire, Jim and boys
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

missdaisymay will become famous soon enough

Claire I'm so thrilled for you and the family and your new job, And thanks for the lovely compliment. Maroochydore is lovely, the beaches are great, shopping is wonderful (google sunshine plaza) and make sure you do a weekend up at the blackall ranges. Montville is a huge tourist attraction and has fantastic B & B's. I'm sure you'll all love the "sunny coast".

And if not, you can always move here to the bay later.

cheers

Donna.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

goosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nice

Hi everyone ,

Well its not long for us too now and we will be joining you all soon . Trying to book flight for 4th Feb . Cant wait !!! yipee !!!!!

We have never been to Hervey Bay either , but dont want go any where else . I hope it works out for us also .

I have possible job , hubby nothing yet .... fingers crossed .

Also if any one know any one fully furnished rental for feb . To rent for a while I would appreciate it. Thanks . My job will be in Torquay.

Just not sure how to get from Brisbane airport with 2 kids and 10 suitcases !!lol! Sure we can get a few donkeys !! Going to book with Singapore Airlines . Anyone got any good hotel tips for familys please ?

Also been looking at the car hire any one know the best one please .

Would love to meet up with you all when we get settled .

Hi to Donna hope you are well .

Thanks to everyone in advance .

Tam xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Oct 27th 2008, 11:27 pm
ClairePagani

Pagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nice

Thanks Donna, great to hear from you. We may end up in Hervey Bay in the future, but I agree that the Sunshine Coast does look great (even though it's nearly double in price for houses compared to Hervey Bay.) I think we'll have a great life in the Sunshine Coast and will visit Hervey Bay whenever we can.

All the very best to you and your family. Keep in touch

Claire
Old Oct 27th 2008, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

goosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nice

Hi Claire ,

I have followed most of your posts on here and you started it

Hope you like it in the sunshine coast . Good luck with everything

May see you there some day .

Tam x
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

That's great Claire. We looked briefly at the sunny coast but it was too expensive for us. Great that you have a job though and it's a beautiful place.

We're still hoping in these unfortunate economic times to sell our house for more than we've spent on it and settle into Toogoom in January.

Now someone back there said that in summer you have storms and hail (?) and it's hot!! Is that right? Here if you have hail the temp drops about 10 - 15 degrees in 10 minutes. I take it that doesn't happen there?

Two days ago it was freezing here in NZ, we had snow on the foothills and the high was 15. The last two days we've had temps around 25, but it's till too cold to swim. Looking forward to the beach in Hervey Bay.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Morning all,

really nice to meet your family the other day Gillian, morning Sarah too!!!

The Bay is getting busy already, took me a couple of minutes to find a parking space yesterday!!!!! so i agree best to get a rental sorted out pretty sharpish.

Anyone around at 4.30 ish on a Thursday will find a few of us propping up the bar at Hoolihans for a few beers before tea, all welcome!!!

Oh and if you want a dog dont forget to come see me at the local animal refuge as we have bleeding loads!!!!

Angela

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.