Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Moans, groans, grunts and wheezes...

Moans, groans, grunts and wheezes...

Old Mar 2nd 2015, 9:09 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moans, groans, grunts and wheezes...

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Good. Doesn't take the pros very long does it once your car is up on the ramp? I was probably in and out in 10 minutes, and they did all the balancing thing and checked pressure etc which my dad told me to look out for.
Yes indeed although the Formula 1 mechanics now change all 4 tires and refuel the car in about 3 seconds

If you go to the right Gomista they are top class. The guy who services my car told me, which local gomista to go to and to use the codewords "Gianluca mi manda" and I have had excellent value and service on all 3 times I have used them.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Garbatellamike;11580548]Yes indeed although the Formula 1 mechanics now change all 4 tires and refuel the car in about 3 seconds

Sorry Garbatellamike, no more refuelling on F1car for the last 3 years. ( Grand Prix follower are such a bore, I know !)
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 3:35 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=highlander1;11580804]
Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Yes indeed although the Formula 1 mechanics now change all 4 tires and refuel the car in about 3 seconds

Sorry Garbatellamike, no more refuelling on F1car for the last 3 years. ( Grand Prix follower are such a bore, I know !)
good point Highland1, I bow to your superior knowledge and abase myself before you in shame.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 11:03 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

So - what do they do now then? Haven't watched F1 since my dad was here and watching it...... but he prefers motorbikes. I know more about them. I grew up on the back of dad's Triumph.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 11:59 am
Dunroaming back in UK

So - what do they do now then? Haven't watched F1 since my dad was here and watching it...... but he prefers motorbikes. I know more about them. I grew up on the back of dad's Triumph.
They only fuel the car before the start, I think a maximum 100 KG of fuel now and that's it for the race - refuelling is now banned as Highlander said.

They have to use at least 2 different types of tyre during a race so must make at least 1 pit stop but often use a 2 stop or 3 stop strategy to achieve the fastest possible time.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

so what happens if they run out then ? Do they get towed off ?
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 12:29 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
so what happens if they run out then ? Do they get towed off ?
Lifed off by crane or in some cases in the past the driver has got out and tried to push it the last few 100m to the line.

They have to have enough fuel left in the tank at the end of the race to be tested to confirm the fuel is legal.

The so what of all this is that the engineers tell the driver to set different engine modes if they need to save fuel or they tell them change driving style (lift and coast - i.e. lift off the gas early and coast into the corners rather than go from maximum acceleration to maximum braking, which uses more fuel).

At least that is my understanding, however, our friend "Connor MacLeod of Clan MacLeod from the village of Glenfinnan" may know more as an F1 follower
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Wierd , but then I'm not a big fan of F1 so it never crossed my mind before this thread .
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 2:08 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike

The so what of all this is that the engineers tell the driver to set different engine modes if they need to save fuel or they tell them change driving style (lift and coast - i.e. lift off the gas early and coast into the corners rather than go from maximum acceleration to maximum braking, which uses more fuel).
Is this why there are now more camera shots of people with headphones on in the background giving out driving instructions? Sounds like it's getting less about driving and more about computer science.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

At least that is my understanding, however, our friend "Connor MacLeod of Clan MacLeod from the village of Glenfinnan" may know more as an F1 follower [/QUOTE]

Oh no , I have being rumbled ! How did you know my name or indeed the name of the wee village were I was born and lived as a beirn ?

... maybe some of the posters works for the secret service !?
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 2:31 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Is this why there are now more camera shots of people with headphones on in the background giving out driving instructions? Sounds like it's getting less about driving and more about computer science.
Yes although I would argue engineering not computer science - but I would say that wouldn't I . They are trying to remedy this issue by banning the teams from actually coaching the drivers over the radio (forbidding comments like "you can brake later into turn 4"). But the guys with the headphones will tell them what mode to put the engine in to make sure they don't run out of fuel whilst getting to the finish in the optimal time. For example in the last race of last year Rosberg asked his engineer what lap times do I need to do to finish 5th in case Hamilton fails to finish so that I can win the championship.

The key issue is that the cars do not have enough fuel to go flat out all the way to the finish and different drivers have slightly different styles, which affects fuel useage - for example the first and second finishers in the 2014 season drove the same car (and were supposed to use the same engine modes) but Hamilton consistently used a little less fuel than Rosberg for some reason.

There is also a maximum fuel flow limit (100Kg/hour max) , which is what Redbull exceeded in the first race of 2014 and their driver was, therefore, disqualified for cheating. Very technical.

Some of the top teams also have guys with headphones whose sole job it is is to work out what modes and strategies other teams are using which they then pass to the lead engineer to inform the strategy he gives to the driver.

The driver is, however, the one feeling the handling of the car and for example needs to know when the tyres are starting to degrade and he needs to come in and change them and has to feed this information back to the pits.

The actual execution of the race is, therefore, a close and constant collaboration between the lead engineer and the driver with the engineer being the man who ultimately makes the strategic calls.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 2:32 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by highlander1
Oh no , I have being rumbled ! How did you know my name or indeed the name of the wee village were I was born and lived as a beirn ?

... maybe some of the posters works for the secret service !?
There can be only one!
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

maybe we need a sports thread ?
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 3:43 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
maybe we need a sports thread ?
Good idea HEP! Maybe Lorna can cut out all this F1 stuff and start a new sports thread for us??

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Mar 3rd 2015 at 3:53 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

I suggest it be called '' you win some you loose some ''

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.