Welders info

Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

hatter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Welders info

Hi as you can see I am a new poster so be kind!

The wife and I are currently undergoing our immigration to Canada. She is the principle applicant and we are moving on a skilled worker application. After 22 years in the Forces I am looking at a new career and would appreciate any advice about becoming a welder. I have the oppurtunity to attend a basic welding/gas metal arc welding and gas tungstan arc welding course at my local college, (in Canada at the mo') but will they qualify me to work in Canada or do I need to be on an apprentiship?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welders info

Originally Posted by hatter

The wife and I are currently undergoing our immigration to Canada. She is the principle applicant and we are moving on a skilled worker application. After 22 years in the Forces I am looking at a new career and would appreciate any advice about becoming a welder. I have the oppurtunity to attend a basic welding/gas metal arc welding and gas tungstan arc welding course at my local college, (in Canada at the mo') but will they qualify me to work in Canada or do I need to be on an apprentiship?

Hi Hatter

I would have thought any qualifications done at a Canadian College will qualify you to work in Canada - dont know whether they actually do apprenticeships in Canada.

If you were to do a course in the UK - like a sparky - you normally have to convert that uK qualie to a Canadian one before they allow you to work.

good luck
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:46 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi Hatter

I would have thought any qualifications done at a Canadian College will qualify you to work in Canada - dont know whether they actually do apprenticeships in Canada.

If you were to do a course in the UK - like a sparky - you normally have to convert that uK qualie to a Canadian one before they allow you to work.

good luck
Nope, An apprenticeship is required as it is a red seal occupation see: http://www.cicic.ca/en/professions.a...9.21&prof=7265
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Nope, An apprenticeship is required as it is a red seal occupation see: http://www.cicic.ca/en/professions.a...9.21&prof=7265
Many thanks for the quick response. I suppose i'll just have to find someone to take me on as a '40 year old apprentice'!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Hi ...
My hubby has welders working for him he said in our market place if you can pick up a torch. shops will hire you we have 2 welding shops in one block around us.
Jeannie

Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeannie
Hi ...
My hubby has welders working for him he said in our market place if you can pick up a torch. shops will hire you we have 2 welding shops in one block around us.
Jeannie
Jeanie would you mind asking your hubby if the courses I have suggested above would be a good start and what sort of pay would I be looking at on an apprentiship.

Many thanks
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:18 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

As far as securing an apprenticeship goes that would be dependent on Province(s) you are looking at.
I imagine (as with a lot of other occupations) BC, AB and Ont. would be reasonably easy to find something.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I know that local companies are wanting welders. They are probably needed all across Canada. Here is a link to the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship program

http://www.saskapprenticeship.ca/index.php

So far as I am aware, there are plenty of companies that will hire you as an apprentice. The disadvantage is that when you first start, it doesn't pay very much. I was told that the starting wage would be around $12.50. Maybe its more in other provinces. I have a friend whose daughter is apprenticing as a welder right now. She has been working for about a year and is now earning $16 an hour.