Welder needs your help

Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From West Yorkshire to Ontario. Now enjoying life in Saskatchewan
Manson will become famous soon enough
Default Welder needs your help

Firstly hello everyone
Secondly I need your help and advice.
We came to Canada thinking we could make a pretty decent life for our family due to the shortages in Welders. Trouble is we took the advice from family and moved to Ontario instead of Alberta. Now after 2 years of my husband working for peanuts as a welder he is wanting to go to Alberta so he can get a job that pays what he is worth.

My husband has over 10 years experience as a welder/fitter, he was insurance coded in the UK and apprentice trained.

We have sent our resumes to lots of agencies and employers in Alberta but have had no response so far.

Does anyone know of any companies in Alberta that would take on a welder from the UK (who has permanent residence in Canada) with a view to getting his tickets while he worked?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welder needs your help

Originally Posted by Manson View Post
Firstly hello everyone
Secondly I need your help and advice.
We came to Canada thinking we could make a pretty decent life for our family due to the shortages in Welders. Trouble is we took the advice from family and moved to Ontario instead of Alberta. Now after 2 years of my husband working for peanuts as a welder he is wanting to go to Alberta so he can get a job that pays what he is worth.

My husband has over 10 years experience as a welder/fitter, he was insurance coded in the UK and apprentice trained.

We have sent our resumes to lots of agencies and employers in Alberta but have had no response so far.

Does anyone know of any companies in Alberta that would take on a welder from the UK (who has permanent residence in Canada) with a view to getting his tickets while he worked?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Hi Manson,

First of all, a very warm welcome to BE to you and your hubby.

Take a look at these posts that we've contributed to.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558236
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559283

The advice and guidance we've given there does not really apply to you guys as you have PR status already. However, you may want to connect with JoolsGod. They are actively chasing down an opportunity as we write this and you never know, the same company might be looking for more. If you want to use the Private Messaging system, you'll need to get up to 3 posts. Alternatively, you can check our main blog below (not the weather one) to get our contact details and drop us an email...we may be able to get a message to them.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for the quick response. I will certainly try and connect with JoolsGod.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

No problem. If you reply to this or if you find another post of interest that you want to contribute to, you'll have the 3rd post you need to start private messaging.

E&J.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:59 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Not sure where you are looking to move to in alberta but these are the jobs around lethbridge

http://www.chooselethbridge.ca/yoube...elder&x=21&y=5
they also need welder helpers, so not sure if that is what you are looking at whilst he gets his ticket.
also if you need the AAIT for your licence http://alberta.ca/home/index.cfm

Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

K thanks for that will give the training board a call today. As we are not sure what he would need as we are already permanent residents.

Also does anyone know if the Alberta Red Seal training is any different from the Ontario Red Seal training?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

mike555 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you still looking? Are you interested in Manitoba?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

For the right opportunity we are willing to relocate anywhere. Are they in need of welders in Manitoba?