Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Teaching Question for hairdressing?

Teaching Question for hairdressing?

Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

kutskrazy will become famous soon enoughkutskrazy will become famous soon enough
Wink Teaching Question for hairdressing?

Hi everyone.
We are planning to go to Oz in 2007, which gives me two acedemic years to take a teaching award (with hard work!!). My question is..is it worth doing? I have been hairdressing for twenty something years, have recently completed some retraining to update my skills and am currently running my own mobile business. Half of me thinks it is worth the hard work to keep all my options open when we arrive...but what do you think?
Thanx in anticipation
kutskrazy
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

lisaxxx will become famous soon enoughlisaxxx will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Teaching Question for hairdressing?

Originally Posted by kutskrazy
Hi everyone.
We are planning to go to Oz in 2007, which gives me two acedemic years to take a teaching award (with hard work!!). My question is..is it worth doing? I have been hairdressing for twenty something years, have recently completed some retraining to update my skills and am currently running my own mobile business. Half of me thinks it is worth the hard work to keep all my options open when we arrive...but what do you think?
Thanx in anticipation
kutskrazy
Hi
I would suggest you just get here and start working as you will find work easily and you will earn more hairdressing than you would teaching. Stylists are demanding at least $700 pw plus comm which if you go on my figures for this week, you would be getting around $1200 pw. Not bad eh!!
Lisa
Old Apr 20th 2005, 10:20 am
Just Joined

kutskrazy will become famous soon enoughkutskrazy will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Teaching Question for hairdressing?

Originally Posted by lisaxxx
Hi
I would suggest you just get here and start working as you will find work easily and you will earn more hairdressing than you would teaching. Stylists are demanding at least $700 pw plus comm which if you go on my figures for this week, you would be getting around $1200 pw. Not bad eh!!
Lisa
Hi Lisa, thanks for the reply...thats quite a good wage! I see you are in the brisbane area..is your salon in the city..would quieter places {ie Gympie!} offer lower wages do you think?
Nikki
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Lisa, thanks for the reply...thats quite a good wage! I see you are in the brisbane area..is your salon in the city..would quieter places {ie Gympie!} offer lower wages do you think?
Nikki
Hi Nikki, no I don't think you would get as much in Gympie but we are a dying race!!!!!
Lisa
Old Apr 20th 2005, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Hi
Lisa

Hi,
can i ask if these wages are reflected in all states as we are thinking of Perth...?
Lynn
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
Hi,
can i ask if these wages are reflected in all states as we are thinking of Perth...?
Lynn
I don't know about Perth, but the average wage in Melbourne & Adelaide starts at $500 a week & don't forget they don't tip in Oz, so you can't rely on them to bump your wages up. :scared:

Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

kaggs will become famous soon enoughkaggs will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Teaching Question for hairdressing?

hi there....just found this site.can't believe those wages....my friend in benowa on the gold coast said that i would get a shock at the wages over there as they were so low,but around £285.00 basic salery, plus comm. is not low.what salon do you work at?is it different to an english salon. kaggs. x
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kaggs
hi there....just found this site.can't believe those wages....my friend in benowa on the gold coast said that i would get a shock at the wages over there as they were so low,but around £285.00 basic salery, plus comm. is not low.what salon do you work at?is it different to an english salon. kaggs. x
Hello Kags, I have a salon in Brisbane and that is what I am offering, and is being offered by most salons as there is such a shortage of good stylists. However you would need to be making about $2600 per wk(3.5 x your wage) for the salon.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Exclamation Re: Teaching Question for hairdressing?

Hello Kags, I have a salon in Brisbane and that is what I am offering, and is being offered by most salons as there is such a shortage of good stylists. However you would need to be making about $2600 per wk(3.5 x your wage) for the salon.
so, if the wage is better in Aussie than in the uk does that mean the Salons charge more for their services?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

so, if the wage is better in Aussie than in the uk does that mean the Salons charge more for their services?
The wages aren't better in Oz, this is low compared to the cost of living, the cost of living is high compared to wages. You'd be much better off mobile or working from home.

Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Teaching Question for hairdressing?

Originally Posted by Marlo
The wages aren't better in Oz, this is low compared to the cost of living, the cost of living is high compared to wages. You'd be much better off mobile or working from home.

I am actually working mobile at the moment and I must admit I do like working for myself like this. However, I didnt think that mobiles were very popular in Oz. I think I heard from somewhere about not being able to use the wholesalers and only able to buy stock in the chemist!?
Any views on this..
Thanx
Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

I am actually working mobile at the moment and I must admit I do like working for myself like this. However, I didnt think that mobiles were very popular in Oz. I think I heard from somewhere about not being able to use the wholesalers and only able to buy stock in the chemist!?
Any views on this..
Thanx
Well I'm still in the UK but have a friend who is working as a mobile hairdresser in Melbourne, so I shall find out for you regarding stock. I also have another friend who has just gone to Adelaide, and I know in both places though mobile hairdressing isn't as popular as here, that is the attraction.

Where are you heading?

I'll get back to you asap.

Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
Lisa

I am excited and confused by your claim of $700+ commission as I would love to come and earn that, but feel that wage is only available for an established (with a Big clientele) hairdresser, which I am here in the UK but will be unknown for sometime there.So what would be a starting wage for a new on the block Pomm ? Am I misgiuded
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

kaggs will become famous soon enoughkaggs will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Marlo
I am excited and confused by your claim of $700+ commission as I would love to come and earn that, but feel that wage is only available for an established (with a Big clientele) hairdresser, which I am here in the UK but will be unknown for sometime there.So what would be a starting wage for a new on the block Pomm ? Am I misgiuded
i have worked for a high class and up market salon. how we worked there sounds the same as the way lisa runs her wage structure,so if iam right ...you would start of on the basic rate,then over the next say...3-6 months have a full client base that you would be on such a good wage,but dont forget that you have to work megga hard to achieve this.dont worry about this though you will proberly just be glad of the fab weather over there!!!! kaggs. x
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kaggs
i have worked for a high class and up market salon. how we worked there sounds the same as the way lisa runs her wage structure,so if iam right ...you would start of on the basic rate,then over the next say...3-6 months have a full client base that you would be on such a good wage,but dont forget that you have to work megga hard to achieve this.dont worry about this though you will proberly just be glad of the fab weather over there!!!! kaggs. x
Where abouts are you in the UK Kaggs? Do you still work for a salon?

I have been to Oz and the hairdressing wages are poor, as I said before the cost of living is high and the wages are low in comparison. Hard work always pays of where ever you live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.