Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

sunshine (casual coast) coast chef positions

sunshine (casual coast) coast chef positions

Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

tonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to all
Default sunshine (casual coast) coast chef positions

Well considering the amount of talk about chefs needed around oz, I have found this is not entierly true about the sunshine coast considering the amount of restaurants and hotels there are up here most of the jobs are casual positions and the pay is`nt that great either.

I have a job at the moment and its fine but only casual, not something i would like to do long term though, even when applying for positions it hard to get an interview mostly due to location as employers don`t expect you to travel far eg noosa to caloundra ( they consider it a long way 45mins by car )

Iv tried to take a step down to sous chef as i was a head chef in manchester for the last 5 years, then they say im over qualified!!!!!!!!!!

Also traveling around oz for 10 months does`nt help as iv not worked, (but iv not had to) you dont work because you want too, you work because you have to !!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone is considering traveling before settling down work at the same time as it helps in the future !!!!!!!!!!!

It seems there are many more jobs in brissy or gold coast and the money is better but here is great and life good ,so for now its fine but for how long ??????? our rental is paid for by the property in uk so we earn money now to live !!!!!!!!( luckily ) Not giving up on the sunny coast but its frustrating !!!!!!!

any help would be greatfully appreciated
Old Mar 25th 2008, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sunshine (casual coast) coast chef positions

Originally Posted by tonychef
Well considering the amount of talk about chefs needed around oz, I have found this is not entierly true about the sunshine coast considering the amount of restaurants and hotels there are up here most of the jobs are casual positions and the pay is`nt that great either.

I have a job at the moment and its fine but only casual, not something i would like to do long term though, even when applying for positions it hard to get an interview mostly due to location as employers don`t expect you to travel far eg noosa to caloundra ( they consider it a long way 45mins by car )

Iv tried to take a step down to sous chef as i was a head chef in manchester for the last 5 years, then they say im over qualified!!!!!!!!!!

Also traveling around oz for 10 months does`nt help as iv not worked, (but iv not had to) you dont work because you want too, you work because you have to !!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone is considering traveling before settling down work at the same time as it helps in the future !!!!!!!!!!!

It seems there are many more jobs in brissy or gold coast and the money is better but here is great and life good ,so for now its fine but for how long ??????? our rental is paid for by the property in uk so we earn money now to live !!!!!!!!( luckily ) Not giving up on the sunny coast but its frustrating !!!!!!!

any help would be greatfully appreciated
Firstly its not peak tourist season, hospitality trade fluctuates with that. Most restaurants took on heaps of staff pre Xmas, they have heaps of staff on call at mo, same in most areas not just SC. Majority of jobs in hospitality are casual, again not just on the coast, they want you casual, 60 hours a week at Xmas 4 hours a week in february. Common problem.

BUT The flipping government needs to get out and about in the real world. Skills shortage my ass :curse: Counting people working 4 hours a week as employed is not a great idea either if they wanted an accurate picture.

At the mo they are planning to pay P Beattie $300,000 a year to address the skills shortage, numero one on the hitlist is bring in carpenters for qld from the UK. Brilliant, already we can get 40 applicants for any job in bris, caboolture, SC, GC, maybe there is a problem in outback/western qld or at times in areas hit by cyclone etc, but not where everyone wants to live.

Same applies in perth, skills shortage - bricklayers, ask any bricklayer if theres a shortage of workers, even on this forum you hear of heaps out of work, or working 2 days a week.

Curious situation, so allowing a bit of time to find work might be wise, the competition for jobs is often a bit more than one might expect to find in a country advertising 'skills shortage'. And being employed casually is not at all unusual, even for skilled people.

Last edited by jad n rich; Mar 25th 2008 at 8:54 am.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

tonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to all
Default Re: sunshine (casual coast) coast chef positions

hi

I agree with everything you say and yes i know its not peak season and also things have suffered here in the last few months especially with the weather and now they are also blaming the interest rates and the economy, so things are starting to hurt now.

It also shows that to live here you need a very big deposit to buy,so most people im asuming are renting like us!!!!!!!!!!! We are lucky as our rental is covered through our house in the uk which is rented out we did plan to sell and have now decided not too, as things are pretty unstable here if you look past the real estate agents propaganda !!!!!!!!! ( i thought the uk ones were bad)

its a game of wait and see which we are going to do and live like we are on holiday !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( with a bit of work to pay for beer etc )