social work in oz

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:46 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of
Default social work in oz

hi everyone

I was just wondering what it is like to be a social worker in oz, but in particular queensland?
I currently work with young offenders and have been told that as I have a DIPSW and not a degree, I may have to retrain, is this so
We hope to settle on the Sunshine Coast and although I have emailed a few people to ask about my qualifications I havent had much luck.
can anyone give me any info
bec
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:52 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice
Default Re: social work in oz

Hi Bec,
To work as a social worker in Oz you need AASW eligibility. Dipsw by itself will not do but you should be eligible to work as a welfare worker (you will need to be assessed). Charles Sturt Uni does conversion courses by distance learning.

VIC, ACT and NT accept British sw quals to work in the area of child protection and they offer sponsorship and relocation assistance.

In QLD you could find work as a Welfare Worker but it generally tends to be poorly paid. Department of Child Safety have jobs as Child Safety Officers but you need to have a degree in social science or psychology.

I lived in Brisbane for nine months five years ago and wasn't able to find any work as a Welfare Worker. I returned to UK and did an MA in Social Work and now have AASW eligibility. Two years ago I returned to Brisbane and worked as a Child Safety Officer.

I'm currently in UK but plan to return to QLD next year. There are loads of jobs for qualified social workers in QLD, it would be worth converting your quals or doing an MA. There used to be financial assistance to new migrants who converted their qualifications.

Good luck
BS
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:44 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Big Sky
Hi Bec,
To work as a social worker in Oz you need AASW eligibility. Dipsw by itself will not do but you should be eligible to work as a welfare worker (you will need to be assessed). Charles Sturt Uni does conversion courses by distance learning.

VIC, ACT and NT accept British sw quals to work in the area of child protection and they offer sponsorship and relocation assistance.

In QLD you could find work as a Welfare Worker but it generally tends to be poorly paid. Department of Child Safety have jobs as Child Safety Officers but you need to have a degree in social science or psychology.

I lived in Brisbane for nine months five years ago and wasn't able to find any work as a Welfare Worker. I returned to UK and did an MA in Social Work and now have AASW eligibility. Two years ago I returned to Brisbane and worked as a Child Safety Officer.

I'm currently in UK but plan to return to QLD next year. There are loads of jobs for qualified social workers in QLD, it would be worth converting your quals or doing an MA. There used to be financial assistance to new migrants who converted their qualifications.

Good luck
BS
thanks big sky. I have managed to get in contact with some agencies that work primarily with domestic abuse, which is another are that i'm really interested in; anyway they said my application would be accepted purely on my experience, but as you said the wages were rubbish. I know this is the case in australia, so it looks like i will have to retrain
anyway thanks for the info.
good luck
bec
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

ianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Big Sky
I returned to UK and did an MA in Social Work and now have AASW eligibility. Two years ago I returned to Brisbane and worked as a Child Safety Officer.
Hello,
I am currently doing my MA and we're hoping to move approx 2-3 years after my graduation, ie 2011/2012.
What exactly do I need to do to get AASW eligibility? Any training courses on the law side for example? Do you know if I could do that online before getting there, in order to get intow work a bit quicker? I have tried googling this topic before and ended up quite confused to be honest.
Any tips would be really appreciated!
Mel
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:46 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice

Originally Posted by ianandmel
Hello,
I am currently doing my MA and we're hoping to move approx 2-3 years after my graduation, ie 2011/2012.
What exactly do I need to do to get AASW eligibility? Any training courses on the law side for example? Do you know if I could do that online before getting there, in order to get intow work a bit quicker? I have tried googling this topic before and ended up quite confused to be honest.
Any tips would be really appreciated!
Mel
Hi Mel,
I would contact AASW direct and check with them. If you will eventually have Dipsw, MA and some post grad experience you may not need to do any further study. There are currently loads of jobs in social work in Oz.
Good luck.
BS