Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

offshore, but with a twist

offshore, but with a twist

Old Sep 18th 2010, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

reaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nice
Default offshore, but with a twist

Hi all, just recently joined and my first question, a quick background of where this question is coming from,

one of my old friends a few years back got a job with an Rov company based in aberdeen, but he was shipped off to the philippines, he is based their but still travels where the company tells him to go and still receives his salary from the uk.

with this in thought is this actually possible to get a job from lets say an australian employer but live somewhere else in proximity close to where they operate outside of australia

i know this might sound a tad bit strange but its all relative to my current mind set is lets say ive i got a job in a lesser developed country where my annual wage reflects the local market but is considerably lower to what it would be in the uk or a more developed country.

what im trying to achieve is live somewhere i want to live but taking in an outside wage which would give me a far greater lifestyle than it would by working locally. and would also give me a break every now and then

anyway let me know if its a viable idea or if i should concentrate my efforts on another path.

steve
Old Sep 19th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: offshore, but with a twist

I think you are basically talking about being an expat. Normally an expat will receive his base salary adjusted for cost of living/hardship etc of the place where he is being sent to, along with loads of other allowances. It can be a very nice way to live ( I did it for just over 20 years), but it does, like most things, come with its disadvantages, as if there weren´t any, then companies wouldn´t have to pay over the odds. More and more though, such companies are finding that the education/experience of locals is equal to that of the expats, so they employ locals instead at say half the cost of an expat. I loved the life, but it´s not for everyone. Mining companies, oil companies are good to contact as they often have lots of overseas locations.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 10:35 am
Just Joined

reaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nicereaper_gfx is just really nice

thanks for that,

most of the companies i have been looking at is in the uk but with outside locations i.e oil companies, but its proving that bit of a challenge trying to get a foot inside the door, maybe it might be easier doing a 3/month shift on 1 month off and spending that 1 month off in another country exploring searching for that place of happiness.

so many ideas flourishing through my head should of thought about this earlier,

anyway thank you for the reply.

steve
Old Sep 25th 2010, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

doctorfeelgood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by reaper_gfx
thanks for that,

most of the companies i have been looking at is in the uk but with outside locations i.e oil companies, but its proving that bit of a challenge trying to get a foot inside the door, maybe it might be easier doing a 3/month shift on 1 month off and spending that 1 month off in another country exploring searching for that place of happiness.

so many ideas flourishing through my head should of thought about this earlier,

anyway thank you for the reply.

steve
Hi Steve,

I have alot of clients working in the Oil and Gas Industry worldwide, these clents are from different nationalities but as an example one of them is from the UK, he works in the Oil Industry in Thailand and because he uses our company he pays a fraction of the tax. The reason is that his wages get paid to my company from his employers, we do all his accounts etc and then pay him from an overseas company that allows for tax savings. This allows him to keep at least 90% of his wages. Hope this gives you more food for thought
Old Sep 25th 2010, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by doctorfeelgood
Hi Steve,

I have alot of clients working in the Oil and Gas Industry worldwide, these clents are from different nationalities but as an example one of them is from the UK, he works in the Oil Industry in Thailand and because he uses our company he pays a fraction of the tax. The reason is that his wages get paid to my company from his employers, we do all his accounts etc and then pay him from an overseas company that allows for tax savings. This allows him to keep at least 90% of his wages. Hope this gives you more food for thought
hi doc.

this is another possibility that i had in mind but it would also mean being self employed, ive done this sort of setup before with a company in the uk where you are employed by there agency not by the actual company. and it had its pro's and con's just like everything else.

but i feel getting myself onto an international level this might be the better route to go as it leave's me with alot more options than it would being with a full time employer,

thanks for the info doc, may i be cheeky and ask do the employers of your clients choose your business or is it the other way round.

thanks for any info you can spare.

steve
Old Sep 25th 2010, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

doctorfeelgood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by reaper_gfx
hi doc.

this is another possibility that i had in mind but it would also mean being self employed, ive done this sort of setup before with a company in the uk where you are employed by there agency not by the actual company. and it had its pro's and con's just like everything else.

but i feel getting myself onto an international level this might be the better route to go as it leave's me with alot more options than it would being with a full time employer,

thanks for the info doc, may i be cheeky and ask do the employers of your clients choose your business or is it the other way round.

thanks for any info you can spare.

steve
Hi Steve,
I grew up with a large family who all worked in the Oil Industry, my Father owned his own Engineering firm for over twenty years so i am all to familiar with how the Oil Industry works. You could have good shutdown work for a few weeks then nothing for a few weeks more. As time past i went on my own journey of law which was more convoluted than the oil industry and i noticed that alot of oil workers were paying too much tax for the weeks they worked, my husband included.

Then by chance i met up with a team of chartered accountants who had put together a really good company that offered a solution to this tax issue. What i then done was went to the Oil workers that i knew personally and offered them this tax savings and things went from there. We now operate worlwide and most clients come from word of mouth. We have some dealing with agencies as well as some employers looking for ways of increasing their profit margin but the majority of our clients are employees/self employed. Whenever my husband now works in the UK he pays hardly any tax whereas before he was usually stung for it and hardly ever got a rebate.

Also worth noting, when you work on shutdown work, lets say for eight weeks you can have this time worded on your contract so even if you are self employed they cant just get rid of you because this would breach the contract. The Oil industry does not always offer 52 weeks of continuous employment, as i am sure you know. But to safeguard yourself the contract is the security and the wording is the essence that protects you.

I personally, can see more and more Oil workers going for this self employed aspect as they go from employer to employer and work here and there so for them this can save them thousands.

Hope i have made myself clear, and given you something to think about?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Colink is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: offshore, but with a twist

Hi

If you are in a position to give me some advice about getting work in the oil industry please send me a PM. I am new so can't PM You.

Thanks ColinK
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colink
Hi

If you are in a position to give me some advice about getting work in the oil industry please send me a PM. I am new so can't PM You.

Thanks ColinK
You can access the pm system once you have three posts.