Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Graphic Designer - UK to ??? Help!

Graphic Designer - UK to ??? Help!

Old Jan 29th 2011, 12:13 am
Just Joined

WaxMechaniK is just really niceWaxMechaniK is just really niceWaxMechaniK is just really niceWaxMechaniK is just really niceWaxMechaniK is just really niceWaxMechaniK is just really niceWaxMechaniK is just really niceWaxMechaniK is just really nice
Question Graphic Designer - UK to ??? Help!

Hello

I'm currently a freelance Graphic Designer based in the UK, 24 years old, graduated with a degree in Graphic Design a few years ago, had a short stint in London but having no luck finding jobs, and very few clients in Wales. I no longer want to stay in the UK and am looking for a fresh start abroad on my own, preferably to an English speaking country (eg USA, Canada, Oz, NZ, etc.).

I've been looking into this for the past few years but struggling to gain a clear understanding of my options and how to succeed. I've been told I cannot get a visa in Canada or Oz as Graphic Designer is not a profession they want/need, but is this actually correct?

I still don't know exactly where and how to look for vacancies abroad and how/if they will accept me? Of course employers want you to have a visa to work in that particular country, but if I can possibly get one, it seems to be a large risk, ie I will lost my current job, I will possibly lose a lot of money. And I'm certainly not wealthy at the moment, I don't have much saved, although I definitely don't have a lot of the debt that many of my friends have here in the UK!

So basically, I'm looking for some assistance/advice/help for someone who is seeking a creative profession (Graphic Designer or similar) in another country.

All of your help is greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Graphic Designer - UK to ??? Help!

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Have a read through the wiki up top, most countries have sections over the visa options.

tbh, with no real experience, you might as well rule out the US as a realistic option too.

What about the rest of the EU? The Netherlands, most of the Scandinavian countries? Visa wouldn't be a issue and most speak English.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

In the U.S., if you have a fabulous portfolio of your works, that should get you in the door. I recently trained in graphic arts (from another profession) and just about everywhere has told me this. I have a degree but not in Fine Arts. If it was me, I would send a copy of my portfolio to the advertising firms.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

WaxMechaniK is just really niceWaxMechaniK is just really niceWaxMechaniK is just really niceWaxMechaniK is just really niceWaxMechaniK is just really niceWaxMechaniK is just really niceWaxMechaniK is just really niceWaxMechaniK is just really nice

Originally Posted by windsong
In the U.S., if you have a fabulous portfolio of your works, that should get you in the door. I recently trained in graphic arts (from another profession) and just about everywhere has told me this. I have a degree but not in Fine Arts. If it was me, I would send a copy of my portfolio to the advertising firms.
Thanks for letting me know

So from your experience and/or knowledge, do you find that firms in the US are happy to take on international, or more specifically, British employees?

I won over my employer in my current job with my portfolio, as well as my attitude/passion toward graphic design which I proved in the interview, however I do understand that job interviews and the working ethic in general is rather different to the UK.

I think right now I really want to live in Australia, although I am still interested in the US or Canada, or NZ. Unfortunately, Graphic Designer is not listed as 'skilled occupation' required for a visa in Oz anymore, unless anyone can tell me any different? Or if there's another way?
Old Mar 14th 2011, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Welcome to BE and good luck!

Have a read through the wiki up top, most countries have sections over the visa options.

tbh, with no real experience, you might as well rule out the US as a realistic option too.

What about the rest of the EU? The Netherlands, most of the Scandinavian countries? Visa wouldn't be a issue and most speak English.
ALthough the Scandinavian lifestyles are a lot better than the British lifestyle, I'm not sure if this is for me. Despite most of them speaking English, its not their native language and I'd never feel comfortable. Plus, I'm also more interested in somewhere where the weather is better instead of cold and rain all year round! Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WaxMechaniK
Thanks for letting me know

So from your experience and/or knowledge, do you find that firms in the US are happy to take on international, or more specifically, British employees?

I won over my employer in my current job with my portfolio, as well as my attitude/passion toward graphic design which I proved in the interview, however I do understand that job interviews and the working ethic in general is rather different to the UK.

I think right now I really want to live in Australia, although I am still interested in the US or Canada, or NZ. Unfortunately, Graphic Designer is not listed as 'skilled occupation' required for a visa in Oz anymore, unless anyone can tell me any different? Or if there's another way?
I am a Brit working in the U.S. myself, and yes, Americans love that British accent. Management is also aware (usually) that European education is far superior to American education and should snap you up in a flash. I've invited a lot of commentary by making that statement but it's true. My stepfather told me that when I first came here myself and high-level executives have told me the same thing. I also agree with it based on my own experience here.

As far as graphic design and web design skills (and I do both), the UK is years ahead of America.

Unfortunately, I cannot speak for Canada or Australia.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by WaxMechaniK
Hello

I'm currently a freelance Graphic Designer based in the UK, 24 years old, graduated with a degree in Graphic Design a few years ago, had a short stint in London but having no luck finding jobs, and very few clients in Wales. I no longer want to stay in the UK and am looking for a fresh start abroad on my own, preferably to an English speaking country (eg USA, Canada, Oz, NZ, etc.).

I've been looking into this for the past few years but struggling to gain a clear understanding of my options and how to succeed. I've been told I cannot get a visa in Canada or Oz as Graphic Designer is not a profession they want/need, but is this actually correct?

I still don't know exactly where and how to look for vacancies abroad and how/if they will accept me? Of course employers want you to have a visa to work in that particular country, but if I can possibly get one, it seems to be a large risk, ie I will lost my current job, I will possibly lose a lot of money. And I'm certainly not wealthy at the moment, I don't have much saved, although I definitely don't have a lot of the debt that many of my friends have here in the UK!

So basically, I'm looking for some assistance/advice/help for someone who is seeking a creative profession (Graphic Designer or similar) in another country.

All of your help is greatly appreciated!
Start by using a serch engine to seek out the job sites for various countries, like these for Canada:

www.indeed.ca

www.eluta.ca