Reload this Page >

English solicitor requalifying in NSW

English solicitor requalifying in NSW

Old Dec 12th 2006, 3:52 am
Just Joined

Ju12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English solicitor requalifying in NSW

Hi

I have seen a very few posts on this topics and none from people who have actually done it! I'm currently working in a law firm in Sydney and am applying for my practical training exemptions - there are enough British solictors working here (I have noticed the accents in the Courts!) that some must have requalified over here!

Would love to chat to someone about the process and maybe get some tips.
Thanks guys

Juliet.x
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 10:44 am
Just Joined

joannab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English solicitor requalifying in NSW

Hi Juliet,

How are you managing?

I am going to graduate from my law degree next you and am hoping to move to Sydney to qualify.

Have you managed it yet?

How did you get a job in a firm before qualifying? What sort of visa are you on?

I am coming out this summer on a working holiday visa to try and get some experience and make some contacts as I am not allow to apply for any of the big firms graduate schemes until I have permanent residence?

Any tips?

Cheers, Jo
Old Mar 28th 2007, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Sorry for not replying earlier, am mid exams....
How are you managing? ...1 down one to go, so hanging in there!!

I am going to graduate from my law degree next you and am hoping to move to Sydney to qualify.

Have you managed it yet?
Hopefully will qualify in May, one exam pending.

How did you get a job in a firm before qualifying? What sort of visa are you on?

Yes this is the tricky bit. Friend of a friend thing, got lucky - actually on a working hol visa a few years ago, and was invited back, so now am on a 457. Will probably be looking for a new job post qualification though. Not too many opportunites in my field of litigation, probably a lot better if you are more corporate.

I am coming out this summer on a working holiday visa to try and get some experience and make some contacts as I am not allow to apply for any of the big firms graduate schemes until I have permanent residence?

yes yes contacts is all important, although a background from a Magic Circle firm will no doubt help, and chase those recruitment consultants, they tend to be a bit useless (sorry!)

Good luck! If you need any more specific advice just drop me a line. Are you going to be in Sydney? It is a great city, and the sun is hining...
jux

Any tips?
Old May 6th 2007, 7:20 am
G'Day Mate

AussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

May I join in?

Was looking more or less for the same information, doing my LLB (HONS) Law in UK at the moment and was wondering the procedure to convert... Have sent a few emails to Law societies in Australia and the Law Council, just awaiting their replies.

If anyone is on the same boat and would like to catch up please drop me a PM and I'll send my msn addy.

Regards.
Old May 9th 2007, 12:24 am
Just Joined

Hey Addy
Good luck. Which State are you planning on working in? If you need any help for NSW then dropp me a line...
Juliet
Old May 9th 2007, 9:31 am
G'Day Mate

AussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

I am still doing my LLB Law (HONS) in the UK, but just to be aware of rules and procedures and what I have to do when the time comes I got in touch with the Law Council of Australia, and NSW Law Society.

They were both very helpful, they provided all the necessary information booklets and links, the only module I might have to when i get over there is Australian Constitutional Law.

Regards.