Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Engineering in Australia

Engineering in Australia

Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:58 pm
  #1  
Feeling a little stressed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Gosnells, Perth
Posts: 6
Kermy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engineering in Australia

Does anyone know how easy it is to get a job in aircraft engineering?
Currently working for B.A. and not sure what my prospects are for work in Oz.

Thanks.
Kermy is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2004, 3:39 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Brisbane!
Posts: 209
CornishPasty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Engineering in Australia

One difficulty is if you are doing anything that touches defence then you have to be an Australian Citizen.

Other than that, Boeing is quite a large employer over here.


Originally Posted by Kermy
Does anyone know how easy it is to get a job in aircraft engineering?
Currently working for B.A. and not sure what my prospects are for work in Oz.

Thanks.
CornishPasty is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:23 am
  #3  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineering in Australia

Originally Posted by Kermy
Does anyone know how easy it is to get a job in aircraft engineering?
Currently working for B.A. and not sure what my prospects are for work in Oz.
Have you got the right to work in Australia? It's a lot harder if you haven't.

Jeremy
JAJ is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2004, 9:22 pm
  #4  
Feeling a little stressed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Gosnells, Perth
Posts: 6
Kermy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Engineering in Australia

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you got the right to work in Australia? It's a lot harder if you haven't.

Jeremy
just having my visa processed at the moment- If that's what you mean!?
Kermy is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2004, 8:45 pm
  #5  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineering in Australia

Originally Posted by Kermy
just having my visa processed at the moment- If that's what you mean!?
Is is a permanent skilled-independent visa? If so, did you apply as an engineer and get assessed by IEAUST?

If you mean you work for British Airways, then Qantas and Virgin Blue should probably be your first ports of call. I would think work experience from BA would be well regarded in the Australian aviation industry.

Jeremy
JAJ is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2004, 4:49 pm
  #6  
Feeling a little stressed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Gosnells, Perth
Posts: 6
Kermy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Engineering in Australia

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is is a permanent skilled-independent visa? If so, did you apply as an engineer and get assessed by IEAUST?

If you mean you work for British Airways, then Qantas and Virgin Blue should probably be your first ports of call. I would think work experience from BA would be well regarded in the Australian aviation industry.

Jeremy
Thanks for the replies. We are applying under my wife who is a school teacher so i am not sure how or when i will be assessed.
I will take your advice and look into Qantas and Virgin blue.
Many thanks.
Kermy is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 8:55 am
  #7  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineering in Australia

Originally Posted by Kermy
Thanks for the replies. We are applying under my wife who is a school teacher so i am not sure how or when i will be assessed.
I will take your advice and look into Qantas and Virgin blue.
Many thanks.
Unless you're looking to claim spouse skill points, you won't be assessed at all.
It is probably a good idea to look to see if you're eligible for IEAUST membership. Visit http://www.ieaust.org.au - just bear in mind that the assessment processes are different for potential migrants as opposed to those for people who already have Australian citizenship or PR status.

It's probably worth asking on the Australia forums.

Jeremy
JAJ is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.