Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Do carpenters in OZ require a licence to work

Do carpenters in OZ require a licence to work

Old Jan 14th 2007, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Janet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud of
Default Do carpenters in OZ require a licence to work

Hi all

My question is do Uk carpenters require any form of licence to work in Oz or do they have to aquire one before approaching companies? My OH is a Carpenter who has completed all his certificates and has ben self employed with his own successful business for 17 years. He has had a positive TRA for carpenter and we are awaiting our visa application(Sept applicants). We are hoping to go to Brisbane so wanted to know what the situation is out there.

Your help is much appreciated.

Janet
Old Jan 14th 2007, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do carpenters in OZ require a licence to work

Carpenters need a licence to work in Qld, NSW, NT, Vic. Not needed in SA & WA.
There have been posts on here that have said it's really hard to get a licence, and if you don't have one it's very hard to get work and paid badly, that was in Queensland.
Look at www.bsa.qld.gov.au/
Best of luck
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

I got knocked back for my carpenters licence in qld, i have city & guilds + advanced crafts was told i needed at least 8 years exp after my apprentiship. So they send you an exam to do, fill out forms on what work you have done, then tell you to go work for someone for 2 years and have your work inspected. Without a licence getting a job is near impossible if you do get one you get paid poorly. Sorry to sound negative but thats my experience
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

dont be put off by all the red tape..a good chippy will adapt and make his work prove how good he is ..licence or no licence! there's more to life than doing jobs on site with a load of brain dead surf dudes...for **** sake how can so called 'time served carpenters' do internal 1st and 2nd fix wearing ******' shades all day

Last edited by SBUK; Feb 4th 2007 at 7:39 am.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

SBUK like your style m8, ya gave me a right chuckle.