Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Cook TRA declined...somehow!? Help needed.

Cook TRA declined...somehow!? Help needed.

Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:17 am
Just Joined

TerryA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cook TRA declined...somehow!? Help needed.

Ok, hi guys.

My girlfriend has worked in the hospitality and catering industry for around 9 years now (she's 25).

- When she was 16 she did a one year college course on basic cookery.
- She then did a 2 year course in hospitality and catering to achieve A levels along with a City and Guilds (the mac daddy of UK qualifications right!?) certificate/qualification.
- She worked as a cook in the UK for 5 years.
- She worked here as a chef and then head chef for almost 4 years, whilst being on a working holiday visa, then a spouse visa (now separated) and now a 457 visa.
- Approved manager of her current employment venue, and holds a Responsible service of alcohol license.

We got our letter through today saying she was unsuccessful and we applied as a COOK! She has worked in the industry for 9 years (38-40 hours a week), starting at the early age of 16 and when she became head chef she had to:

. In charge of four cooks, two kitchen hands
. Ordering of stock
. Designing of menus
. Costing
. Stock rotation
. Preparing and cooking food for a la carte restaurant
. Organising staff rosters
. Maximising kitchen productivity and staff performance in absence of executive chef.

Not only this but she is sponsored as a COOK on a 457 visa at the moment, had an Australian resident trainee apprentice learn under her - how the hell cant she be successful as a COOK through the TRA?

We did not provide them with a statement from her boss but we did provide her work duties, all her certificates and a brief explanation of her on the job training (of which there was no certificate presented at the end).

She can, and has worked at the ''Australian standard'' as a cook, chef and head chef since she has been here the last 4 years - so surely something is wrong when she gets rejected?

Any help is appreciated, we are going to receive a phone call from the TRA in the next 7-10 working days regarding any questions we might have, and then we will pay another $300 to review the decision.

On the UCA application assessment sheet we had NO plastered throughout sections A, B and C, and E was left blank.

If they actually came out in person to test her skills they would see she is more than capable.

Please contact me here
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Cook TRA declined...somehow!? Help needed.

25 views and not one reply? :/

No one has any advice or previous experiences to share?

Any information is appreciated...

For instance, if you failed the TRA the first time around what extra information did you add the second time around.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

petereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TerryA
25 views and not one reply? :/

No one has any advice or previous experiences to share?

Any information is appreciated...

For instance, if you failed the TRA the first time around what extra information did you add the second time around.
Did you DIY or go through an agent. With the experience you've stated you should be a shoe in for the visa.
I've read on similar forums of people applying themselves with no joy, then an agent changes one minor thing and the visa is granted.
It will cost you more but how badly do you want it ?
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Pommy Lee is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, hi guys.

My girlfriend has worked in the hospitality and catering industry for around 9 years now (she's 25).

- She then did a 2 year course in hospitality and catering to achieve A levels along with a City and Guilds (the mac daddy of UK qualifications right!?) certificate/qualification.
- She worked here as a chef and then head chef for almost 4 years, whilst being on a working holiday visa, then a spouse visa (now separated) and now a 457 visa.
- Approved manager of her current employment venue, and holds a Responsible service of alcohol license.

We got our letter through today saying she was unsuccessful and we applied as a COOK! She has worked in the industry for 9 years (38-40 hours a week), starting at the early age of 16 and when she became head chef she had to:

. Ordering of stock
. Designing of menus
. Costing
. Stock rotation
. Maximising kitchen productivity and staff performance in absence of executive chef.

Not only this but she is sponsored as a COOK on a 457 visa at the moment, had an Australian resident trainee apprentice learn under her - how the hell cant she be successful as a COOK through the TRA?

We did not provide them with a statement from her boss but we did provide her work duties, all her certificates and a brief explanation of her on the job training (of which there was no certificate presented at the end).

She can, and has worked at the ''Australian standard'' as a cook, chef and head chef since she has been here the last 4 years - so surely something is wrong when she gets rejected?

Any help is appreciated, we are going to receive a phone call from the TRA in the next 7-10 working days regarding any questions we might have, and then we will pay another $300 to review the decision.

On the UCA application assessment sheet we had NO plastered throughout sections A, B and C, and E was left blank.

If they actually came out in person to test her skills they would see she is more than capable.

Please contact me here

Hi Terry, I sympathize - it is very frustrating. I know how to get around this problem. The quickest and cheapest option is to get something called a certificate III by Recognition of PRior Learning (RPL) we work with a terrific company that can do the assessment for you. It only takes half a day. Furthermore this assessment is now mandatory not only for permanent visas, it is a requirement for temporary visas - even for UK Cooks / Chefs. Send me a message if you need further details.

Kind Regards,

Pommy Lee
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Ok, hi guys.

. Ordering of stock
. Designing of menus
. Costing
. Stock rotation

Please contact me here

Expereince alone is not sufficient unless you could put that into paper, As has been said, they are many pathways to meet TRA assessment criteria, for your wife I think its pathway C, Recognition of prior learning (RPL ). Get her skilled assessed by a recognized assessor, that will get a AQF 3 certificate which is the minimum requirement by the TRA for cooks,

Also gather much evidence as possible, such a photo of her working in the hotel kitchen, ect ect, Also submit a Statutory Declaration, putting in detail all the work she has done, put much detail as possible.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

MKING is an unknown quantity at this point

How is your girlfriend getting on with her TRA evidence. My husband is a chef and has around 15 years experience and we are just gathering all our evidence for the TRA. Mark is in the process of writing a statement regarding his training period etc but needs a bit of guidance on how much information. Did you manage to find any examples of what you should write? Could you help us out with examples? Thanks in advance.
Mel
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:24 am
Just Joined

Pommy Lee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MKING
How is your girlfriend getting on with her TRA evidence. My husband is a chef and has around 15 years experience and we are just gathering all our evidence for the TRA. Mark is in the process of writing a statement regarding his training period etc but needs a bit of guidance on how much information. Did you manage to find any examples of what you should write? Could you help us out with examples? Thanks in advance.
Mel
Hi Mking - have you thought about getting a certificate III by recognition of prior learning? That is the most comprehensive way of obtaining a favourable TRA outcome.

Kind Regards,

Lee
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:47 am
Just Joined

Sent you a PM MKING, but we haven't heard yet and it was sent in almost a month ago.

''10 days on the MODL'' - BS.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Originally Posted by MKING
Mel
Hi MKING

Before submitting the application to TRA you have decide which pathway you are going to follow, Does you husband have a Diploma in Cookery from a recognized institute, if yes, that will be fine, if not he has to get is experience assessed by a process called Recognition of Prior Leaning (RPL )
I have explained this process above please read,

Statutory Declaration
one is required to give a detail description of all the work done throughout his life, like to emphasis again , provide much details as possible, including the equipment handled, other routine work such a stock taking, receiving goods, menu planning, ect ect, add some photo of , get recommendation letter from customers, colleagues, and superior's.

Let me know if you need anyfurther info.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

chap314 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shafanm
Hi MKING

Before submitting the application to TRA you have decide which pathway you are going to follow, Does you husband have a Diploma in Cookery from a recognized institute, if yes, that will be fine, if not he has to get is experience assessed by a process called Recognition of Prior Leaning (RPL )
I have explained this process above please read,

Statutory Declaration
one is required to give a detail description of all the work done throughout his life, like to emphasis again , provide much details as possible, including the equipment handled, other routine work such a stock taking, receiving goods, menu planning, ect ect, add some photo of , get recommendation letter from customers, colleagues, and superior's.

Let me know if you need anyfurther info.
Hi Shafanam

Can you give me more information about where i can get my experience assessed for the RPL?

Many thanks

chappers
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chap314
Hi Shafanam

Can you give me more information about where i can get my experience assessed for the RPL?

Many thanks

chappers
Hi
What is your occupation and from which country ?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

chap314 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shafanm
Hi
What is your occupation and from which country ?
Hey Shafnam

Im from the UK and im a cook with over 6 years experience.

Regards

Chappers
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

contact Mr Phillip on folloiwng, this is a australian company which does assessment and issue of RPL certificates which is accepted by TRA,

culinarysolution(Nickname) - phillip Mc Millian <[email protected]>

cheers
Old Dec 30th 2009, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Elly100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, hi guys.

. Ordering of stock
. Designing of menus
. Costing
. Stock rotation

Please contact me here
TerryA.... we are in exactly the same boat. My Boyfriend has the city and guilds certificate, 8 years experience in the UK and been working as a Chef in Australia on a 457 for nearly a year, but because he does not have evidence of an apprenticeship they have declined his TRA. Do they not realise that apprenticeships are no longer the norm in the UK... move with the times TRA!!!

Our agent seems to be very much of the attitude of well... wait for another year so you don't have to do the TRA...(why did he suggest it in the first place then!!) But we really want to pursue.

What has your outcome been?? or anyone elses...

I'm not prepared to drop this quite yet!!

thanks
Elly