Contracting in Oz

Old Sep 9th 2004, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

fraze1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contracting in Oz

We're hoping to move to Sydney in the neari(ish) future and I've been keeping my eye on the job situation - there seem to be plenty of both contract and perm opportunites avaliable. Is there a big difference in the way contractors operate in Oz to the UK i.e. can you set up your own Ltd company or is it all done through agenices? I've never contracted in the UK but the short term nature seems quite appealing, especially when we'll want to be flexible when we first arrive.
TIA
Old Sep 10th 2004, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Contracting in Oz

Originally Posted by fraze1987
We're hoping to move to Sydney in the neari(ish) future and I've been keeping my eye on the job situation - there seem to be plenty of both contract and perm opportunites avaliable. Is there a big difference in the way contractors operate in Oz to the UK i.e. can you set up your own Ltd company or is it all done through agenices? I've never contracted in the UK but the short term nature seems quite appealing, especially when we'll want to be flexible when we first arrive.
TIA
I am still getting to understand the contracting side of things. I recently placed a contractor here in brissy and there was a few ways we could do it, either he could be an employee of ours (the agency) or act as his own private company and we pay his 'company'.

there are public liability licenses etc you require and insurances you need to get if you go it alone as your own business. As this was the way we went we had to sight them and his contractors license as well as his ABN (VAT) number. else we could have put him on our books and we would be liable for him and so we would not have paid him so much to cover the insurance costs. You need to look into the licenses you require either way, which is different for each state. Sorry if this isnt very informative (or accurate) as I dont have much experience here.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CornishPasty
I am still getting to understand the contracting side of things. I recently placed a contractor here in brissy and there was a few ways we could do it, either he could be an employee of ours (the agency) or act as his own private company and we pay his 'company'.

there are public liability licenses etc you require and insurances you need to get if you go it alone as your own business. As this was the way we went we had to sight them and his contractors license as well as his ABN (VAT) number. else we could have put him on our books and we would be liable for him and so we would not have paid him so much to cover the insurance costs. You need to look into the licenses you require either way, which is different for each state. Sorry if this isnt very informative (or accurate) as I dont have much experience here.
Thanks for the info - to be honest if I went the contracting route I'd likely go the agency route anyway. I assume all teh tax/super issues are hadled by the agency, i.e. I'd just get paid monthly as a employee of the agency?
Old Sep 10th 2004, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by fraze1987
Thanks for the info - to be honest if I went the contracting route I'd likely go the agency route anyway. I assume all teh tax/super issues are hadled by the agency, i.e. I'd just get paid monthly as a employee of the agency?
Yep, I believe thats how it works! I will double check next week for you. send me a PM if i forget!
Old Sep 10th 2004, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CornishPasty
Yep, I believe thats how it works! I will double check next week for you. send me a PM if i forget!
Thanks for the help!