Chef or Head Chef?

Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

6tollgate is a jewel in the rough6tollgate is a jewel in the rough6tollgate is a jewel in the rough6tollgate is a jewel in the rough
Default Chef or Head Chef?

Has anyone else had the dilema of whether to ask for TRA as Head Chef or just Chef? My OH has been a Head Chef but are we better off just asking for Chef? Does sit make a difference once out in Oz? Ie, can you get a job as a Head Chef?
I'm just getting the paperwork together and would appreciate anyone elses experience in this area. What worked for them.

many thanks

Shelley
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

adams family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chef or Head Chef?

Hi
Ive just completed my TRA and had the same dilemma. In the end I opted for Chef after phone the TRA to ask the question, the reply they gave me was that you had to prove all your training and experience as a Head Chef for the last 4 years .
If you apply for chef its on the MOSL list and you would be fast tracked but Head Chef is only on the SOL list and would take longer. I lead to understand that it really dosent matter wether your classed as a cook, chef or head chef your CV and references will speak for themselves when you get there.

hope this helps

Darren
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:07 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Plenty of Head Chef jobs out here. People are very happy to give you a chance to show what you can do, in my experience, so you'd find it easy to move up.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Tigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really nice

Originally Posted by 6tollgate
Has anyone else had the dilema of whether to ask for TRA as Head Chef or just Chef? My OH has been a Head Chef but are we better off just asking for Chef? Does sit make a difference once out in Oz? Ie, can you get a job as a Head Chef?
I'm just getting the paperwork together and would appreciate anyone elses experience in this area. What worked for them.

many thanks

Shelley
I just got labelled cook even though all of the evidence was that I had been Head chef for the last at least 10 years, not at all worried as I got the visa and as has already been said there are lots of jobs here. I didn't want head chef here as I wanted to find the lay of the land so to speak. I have been a Head Chef and Catering Manager in the UK but not in OZ, so I needed to find out how they did things here and believe me it is different.

I hated the first job I got, went for a chef job and got given a Head Chef job. The staff did not want to change anything that was already deing done and the owners gave no back up even though they had brought me in to change the operation, had constant battles and then gave up.

Now looking for another job whilst working casual.

So, no the classification doesn't matter and good luck in a speedy TRA result.

Nicky
Old Apr 11th 2008, 8:02 am
Just Joined

6tollgate is a jewel in the rough6tollgate is a jewel in the rough6tollgate is a jewel in the rough6tollgate is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Chef or Head Chef?

Thanks everyone, your comments are a real help, I had been thinking Chef would be best and yor comments all seem to agree on that. I now feel more confident in the path we're taking! It's such a minefield sorting it all out, but I'm sure it will be worth it once it's all over!

Shelley
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

do it as a chef , as you will lose points with the TRA if you do it as a head chef , i did it as a chef but they did it for a head chef as i have been a head chef for 9 years or so on my cv . but they did cange it when i had a moan at them , good look we love it and lots of work for a chef , you will get around $50,000 for a chef de parti and $ 50 to $65 for a sous chef and $ 65 to $90,000 for a head chef avarage head chef $70 to $80 a year plus super (pension)
Dave
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Chef or Head Chef?

Thanks Dave, Finally have all the paperwork together to submit for the TRA and have it ready as a chef. Stage 1 nearly complete! Can't wait to join you over there!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:24 am
Just Joined

christinehalvey is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an British Chef and have been under experience in the Cambridge Hotel. I am looking for a post of Head Chef. Can anyone tell me an apropriate place where i can implement my skills???
============================================
Christine