Reload this Page >

Bringing Knives to OZ???

Bringing Knives to OZ???

Old Aug 10th 2005, 4:42 am
Just Joined

sxxk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing Knives to OZ???

Hi All,

How do I go about bringing my personal set of working knives to OZ?. Do I have to get a permit beforehand or just check it all in with the luggage?. Any reply is appreciated.

Cheers

Nigel
Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:29 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing Knives to OZ???

Originally Posted by sxxk
Hi All,

How do I go about bringing my personal set of working knives to OZ?. Do I have to get a permit beforehand or just check it all in with the luggage?. Any reply is appreciated.

Cheers

Nigel
Hi Nigel,

As far as I understand they are a restricted import..... best bet is to read the stuff below off the customs website & then get in touch with them to see if there are any "allowances"...... my hibby isn't taking his... he is going to treat himself to a new set when we get there.

[excerpt from customs website]

Knives and daggers (restricted import)

Description:
Daggers, flick knives, butterfly knives, trench knives, ballistic knives, concealed knives/blades, throwing knives/blades/axes, star knives, push knives, sheath knives, non-metallic knives.

Permits issued by:

Minister for Justice and Customs

More information:
Customs Information and Support Centre
Telephone: 1300 363 263
E-mail: [email protected]
See also Customs fact sheets about firearms and weapons

Address:
Requests to import these goods should be addressed to:

National Manager
Cargo Branch
Australian Customs Service
5 Constitution Avenue
CANBERRA CITY ACT 2600
Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Hi Nigel,

As far as I understand they are a restricted import..... best bet is to read the stuff below off the customs website & then get in touch with them to see if there are any "allowances"...... my hibby isn't taking his... he is going to treat himself to a new set when we get there.

[excerpt from customs website]

Knives and daggers (restricted import)

Description:
Daggers, flick knives, butterfly knives, trench knives, ballistic knives, concealed knives/blades, throwing knives/blades/axes, star knives, push knives, sheath knives, non-metallic knives.

Permits issued by:

Minister for Justice and Customs

More information:
Customs Information and Support Centre
Telephone: 1300 363 263
See also Customs fact sheets about firearms and weapons

Address:
Requests to import these goods should be addressed to:

National Manager
Cargo Branch
5 Constitution Avenue
CANBERRA CITY ACT 2600
Hi Claire,

Thanks a million. You have been very helpful. At least I know where to start enquiring if I decide to take mine.

Cheers

Nigel
Old Aug 10th 2005, 3:03 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Claire,

Thanks a million. You have been very helpful. At least I know where to start enquiring if I decide to take mine.

Cheers

Nigel
Hi Nigel,

Steve (hubby) has decided now after seeing your post that he would want to take some of his knoves so I have sent an email to the email addy above to ask for information. I will let you know the outcome.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 2:10 am
Just Joined

Hi Nigel,

Steve (hubby) has decided now after seeing your post that he would want to take some of his knoves so I have sent an email to the email addy above to ask for information. I will let you know the outcome.
Hi Claire,

I have sent an email too, enquiring. Will keep you posted. Hi Steve! Nothing beats your own set of knives isn't.

Cheers

Nigel
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:29 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Hi Claire,

I have sent an email too, enquiring. Will keep you posted. Hi Steve! Nothing beats your own set of knives isn't.

Cheers

Nigel
Okay I have had a reply.... firstly let me say that I actually sent the question to the email addy above & to my brother as he works for Customs in Aus..... LOL thought I had better just in case...

Okay my bruv's answer is:

To answer your question... The knives can be brought in either your checked-in luggage or in your shipping container. The only place you cant take them is in your carry-on luggage. If you are going to put them in your checked-in luggage you will need to do two things, 1) get a clearance to do so from the airline and 2) declare them on arrival in Australia, the yellow arrival card that everyone fills in. So long as they are declared there should not be any problems, they may just want to have a look at them. If you put them in your shipping container all you will need to do is list them on the itemised register, along with all the other goods.

And the answer i have received from the addy above is:

Dear Claire

Thank you for your email dated 15 August 2005, about importing Chef's knives
into Australia.

Chef's knives are not controlled by Customs under the Customs (Prohibited
Imports) Regulations 1956, therefore you are not required to apply for
permission to import these goods into Australia.

I have attached a fact sheet outlining the types of knives that are
prohibited under these regulations. This sheet and other weapons fact
sheets are available on our website at:
www.customs.gov.au/goto/firearms_weapons
<<importing exporting knives.pdf>>
If you decide to transport the knives by air, you should contact the airline
you intend travelling with to determine their restrictions on the carriage
of such goods. You can send the knives with your shipping container, but it
would be wise to consult with the shipping company or Customs Broker to find
out about their requirements for the carriage of the goods.

All goods of this nature imported into Australia must be declared to
Customs.

Please note that Customs duty and GST may be payable. You can contact the
Customs Information and Support Centre to find out about this. Their email
address is:
[email protected]

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further help.

Yours sincerely.

DB
Senior Customs Officer
Weapons and Strategic Goods
Cargo Branch
CANBERRA ACT 2600

Email:
[email protected]

So, it looks like as long as we decalre tham on the immigration cards & let the airline know they are in the hold luggage, we can take them!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
importing exporting knives.pdf (56.6 KB, 622 views)
Old Aug 12th 2005, 1:09 pm
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough

If you dont need then straight away just put them in your shipping we did,and did not have to tell anyone about it
Old Aug 13th 2005, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Okay I have had a reply.... firstly let me say that I actually sent the question to the email addy above & to my brother as he works for Customs in Aus..... LOL thought I had better just in case...

Okay my bruv's answer is:

To answer your question... The knives can be brought in either your checked-in luggage or in your shipping container. The only place you cant take them is in your carry-on luggage. If you are going to put them in your checked-in luggage you will need to do two things, 1) get a clearance to do so from the airline and 2) declare them on arrival in Australia, the yellow arrival card that everyone fills in. So long as they are declared there should not be any problems, they may just want to have a look at them. If you put them in your shipping container all you will need to do is list them on the itemised register, along with all the other goods.

And the answer i have received from the addy above is:

Dear Claire

Thank you for your email dated 15 August 2005, about importing Chef's knives
into Australia.

Chef's knives are not controlled by Customs under the Customs (Prohibited
Imports) Regulations 1956, therefore you are not required to apply for
permission to import these goods into Australia.

I have attached a fact sheet outlining the types of knives that are
prohibited under these regulations. This sheet and other weapons fact
sheets are available on our website at:
www.customs.gov.au/goto/firearms_weapons
<<importing exporting knives.pdf>>
If you decide to transport the knives by air, you should contact the airline
you intend travelling with to determine their restrictions on the carriage
of such goods. You can send the knives with your shipping container, but it
would be wise to consult with the shipping company or Customs Broker to find
out about their requirements for the carriage of the goods.

All goods of this nature imported into Australia must be declared to
Customs.

Please note that Customs duty and GST may be payable. You can contact the
Customs Information and Support Centre to find out about this. Their email
address is:
[email protected]

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further help.

Yours sincerely.

DB
Senior Customs Officer
Weapons and Strategic Goods
Cargo Branch
CANBERRA ACT 2600

Email:
[email protected]

So, it looks like as long as we decalre tham on the immigration cards & let the airline know they are in the hold luggage, we can take them!

Thanks Claire.

I have yet to receive a reply from them . Anyway, looks like I will be bringing me knives by checking them in with the luggage.

Nigel
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:03 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

I brought some brilliant knives in Thailand and brought them home in suitcase, not in hand luggage (Obviously) and everything was fine.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 5:47 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jonahs_mummy[/QUOTE]

Claire, I thought I would email the customs people so I had an email to take with us in case of any problems but they haven't replied. Have I got the right address ... [email protected]? Thanks Katy x
Old Dec 6th 2005, 5:56 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Claire, I thought I would email the customs people so I had an email to take with us in case of any problems but they haven't replied. Have I got the right address ... [email protected]? Thanks Katy x
hi Katy
We emailed [email protected]
Claire
x
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:27 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Claire, I got a reply from that email address. For information for others they said ...

There is no problem with your husband bringing his Chef Knives into Australia. If he is bringing them as part of his passenger baggage they will have to be packed in his suitcase and declared to Customs upon arrival.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Regards

Katy
Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:47 pm
Drifting back to earth

Just an update ... wrote to singapore airlines re knives and this was their reply:

Thank you for your email, yes you can take the knives as checked in luggage only, you would need to declare them to the check-in agent.

Please make sure the are packed safely.

Kind regards
Singapore Airlines
Easy! Katy x
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:29 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Just an update ... wrote to singapore airlines re knives and this was their reply:

Thank you for your email, yes you can take the knives as checked in luggage only, you would need to declare them to the check-in agent.

Kind regards
Singapore Airlines
Easy! Katy x
cool
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Kind regards
Singapore Airlines
Easy! Katy x
thanks for the info katy.x sandra