Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Architect looking to work in Dubai.

Architect looking to work in Dubai.

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:54 am
Just Joined

andyguy30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Architect looking to work in Dubai.

Hi All

I really am after some good help, direction, contacts and advice!

I am a Chartered RIBA Architect, living and working in the UK. However, I really have had enough. I have wanted to work in Dubai (or surrounding areas) since qualifying some years ago.

I have started to wind down in the UK - selling of property, cars etc so am more or less ready to pick up and leave ASAP (I have no dependents, nor am I married).

The problem I am finding is getting my CV noticed in the right circles, or indeed struggling to find a decent list of architectural practices I can send it onto directly. I have tried RIBA this end, and they are being useless. The recruitment agencies in this country are also no help at all.

Does anybody know of any Architectural Practices in Dubai, and contacts, or, indeed any further advice!

Warm Regards

Andrew
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:46 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Architect looking to work in Dubai.

Originally Posted by andyguy30
Hi All

I really am after some good help, direction, contacts and advice!

I am a Chartered RIBA Architect, living and working in the UK. However, I really have had enough. I have wanted to work in Dubai (or surrounding areas) since qualifying some years ago.

I have started to wind down in the UK - selling of property, cars etc so am more or less ready to pick up and leave ASAP (I have no dependents, nor am I married).

The problem I am finding is getting my CV noticed in the right circles, or indeed struggling to find a decent list of architectural practices I can send it onto directly. I have tried RIBA this end, and they are being useless. The recruitment agencies in this country are also no help at all.

Does anybody know of any Architectural Practices in Dubai, and contacts, or, indeed any further advice!

Warm Regards

Andrew
I presume you have seen the recent press on Dubai's contstruction industry? take a look at the middle east section on here. it is not pretty and not a good time to move here
architects based here with ME experience will get looked at more favourably
working here is very different to the UK but don't give up hope
it may help if you give a brief synopsis of your career history
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

koolkat is an unknown quantity at this point

Andrew

You have any luck with this? I am currently in exact same position as you. I want to move out there asap. Im actually going over there next weekend for acouple wks to see if i can get a couple of interviews.

K
Old Apr 12th 2009, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Big Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud of

My first post on the forums here so apologies in advance if this isn't the kind of reply you were hoping for...

I've been in contact with a few agencies in the UK about work in UAE, or any middle east location over the past few weeks with little success, the last contact I had was from an agency that recommended exactly what koolkat is just about to do, i.e. arrange a short vacation there and see if any interviews can be arranged in advance with architectural firms or construction companies in advance.

I've also seen quite a few posts about the employment situation being poor in Dubai and Abu Dhabi at the moment, but the reason for posts being submitted from people in the UK about the employment situation abroad is that it's bad here in the UK too in our field.

I feel that I've made some good contacts and a bit of progress though and I'm still trying. If I have any success I'll forward the information for your use. I've been pointed in the direction of North Africa and India though as possible work locations instead of gulf coast regions by the way.

All the best,
Kevin,
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

koolkat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kev

Thanks for reply. Ive actaully just come back from dubia and abu dhabi (very nice). Well cut a long story short... I didnt find any work!

The closest I got was an agency wanting to see me for a job. On the way to the airport she told me to come to the office in their dubia office (even though she new i was staying in abu dhabi) and to call her as soon as i get there. She can then chat to me about a role that was availible to pass me on to her client. However when i got to uae i called her numberous times and emails and she didnt return call and she was never in. In the end i didnt even get a chance to go to her office.

That was the closest i got really a bit shit. I sent loads of emails out etc saying im going to be in the area and no interests some saying they are not looking for anyone.

Thought id just let me know. let me know what u think

K
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but it's the wrong time to think about moving to UAE if you are in construction - loads of poeple have been made redundant and those that haven't have had their salaries cut. Any vacancies which may arise are quickly snapped up by people already in the Country - others hae moved to Saudi and Qatar but I believe that it's a tough market there too. IMO it's best to stay where you are for now.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Big Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud of

Hiya Koolkat, Soukie,

Sorry to hear about your knock back in Abu Dhabi and Dubai KK, I hope it didn't spoil your break too much.

Calling agencies or prospective employers is a difficult balance to get right I think. You never know whether to keep pestering them because at some point you're going to get a kind of 'tell him I'm not in' response when they don't really have anything to tell you. On the other hand you want to keep your name in there in case you miss out on something that might actually transpire.

I get what you're saying as well Soukie, it does not sound like a good time to be looking in UAE for work in construction. It's dreadful in the UK as well, I applied for a position here last week that had nearly 400 applicants. I have fairly relevant experience too but didn't get an acknowledgement so called to make sure they had received my CV (as you do). Took me several attempts to get through, and of course not great news when I did.

So I'm just applying everywhere, there are still more jobs being advertised internationally than there are locally so I can't just not apply.

Personally I think all you can do is play to your strengths, push relevant experience in specific sectors etc, and hope for the best. It's as difficult a time as I can remember in a fairly lengthy career in architecture, but downturns like the one we're experiencing at the moment don't last forever, and at some time it will improve.

I have seen jobs advertised in UAE, Kuwait, Saudi, Qatar today, as well as Libya, Jordan and one or two in the UK, so I'm away to tell them all how totally relevant my experience is to what they're looking for and attach a CV for their interest.

All the best,
Kevin.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

It's always worth trying so good luck with the search. Make sure that you do your research about salaries etc as some will pay an all inclusive amount and expect you to fund the accomodation and this can be very expensive in some areas - we pay Dhs 290,000 PA (approx £57,000!) for a 3 bedroom place in Abu Dhabi and it's not a top of the range place either. Best to get the company to provide the accomodation for you. I believe prices are dropping in Dubai but they are still expenesive compared to UK.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Sandryne is an unknown quantity at this point

hey andrew.
Just wondering if u have been lucky in your search.
Even i am doing architecture and as of dubai a friend of mine living there told me to either check the gulf newsletter...U might be lucky there or else he mentioned an italian firm called Todini in dubai itself.
TRy this end if you can.

cheers
Old May 18th 2010, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Pedja Kljajic is an unknown quantity at this point

I have many projects related to Dubai,

Last edited by meauxna; May 18th 2010 at 10:12 pm. Reason: URL removed; please review site rules
Old May 24th 2010, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

lgweb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pedja Kljajic
I have many projects related to Dubai,
I would be interested to find out how you got on? Good luck in any case
Old May 26th 2010, 1:11 am
Just Joined

Pedja Kljajic is an unknown quantity at this point

You can see my projects on w w w . p e d j a k l j a j i c - p r o j e c t s . t k

Type it without spacing
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 3:01 am
Just Joined

kellyj994 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Forres is an unknown quantity at this point

Andrew,

I have just returned to Europe after working in Dubai for a year. If I were you I would give the UAE a body swerve. Dont take this as advice as I always say to people go and find out for yourself just as I do myself and then form my opinion. I have lived and worked in many countries around the world.

Anyhow, its not often I write about living in other countries, normaly I use this forum to get in touch with other expats.

Dubai is very overated and over expensive. Sure prices have came tumbling down over the last year and are still dropping. Like my self there are lots of people who find it difficult living in a country where you cant speak your mind or express yourself freely. This is a country with double standards at their highest. They want a westernised and modern city and at the same time hang onto their Islamic roots. Thats fine but it just doesn't quite work.

By the way, just dont stick your middle finger up at anyone while you are driving. Thats almost a crime worse than killing someone.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Just get in touch with some firms directly, best advice. But Qatar...what a shithole. Go to the ME forum and ask, they'll support me.