Any Welders Out There?

Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:05 pm
MrA
Forum Regular

MrA is on a distinguished road
Default Any Welders Out There?

Hi,
Which area of the welding trade is most appropiate for finding work in Oz?
I'm asking as a college course i want to start says i have to choose between;
1)OXY/ACETYLENE
2)MMA
3)M.I.G
4)T.I.G
I realise all of them will be loads better but if you had to pick just one which would it be and which second?
Cheers for any help,
Andy
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:18 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Welders Out There?

Originally Posted by MrA
Hi,
1)OXY/ACETYLENE
2)MMA
3)M.I.G
4)T.I.G
I realise all of them will be loads better but if you had to pick just one which would it be and which second?
Cheers for any help,
Andy

If i was to have the choice mate then i would probably choose mig or tig, i did some oxy acetylene and some mig at collage as part of my apprenticeship.

And since have found there to be mopre demand for mig than oxy,

Have a look on mycareer.au for welding jobs. or seek.au
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:33 pm
MrA
Forum Regular

Thanks,will do.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 12:23 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been told I have a face like a welders bench ...

Is this any help to you?

Originally Posted by MrA
Hi,
1)OXY/ACETYLENE
2)MMA
3)M.I.G
4)T.I.G
Cheers for any help,
Andy
Old Apr 20th 2007, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrA
Hi,
1)OXY/ACETYLENE
2)MMA
3)M.I.G
4)T.I.G
Cheers for any help,
Andy
Not that I'm a welder but OH is. Classed as (First Class) Welder here. Anyway, I am sure he is doing a lot of MIG Flux Core welding at the moment. When he gets back in from work will find out more and post later
Lynne
Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:42 pm
MrA
Forum Regular

Question Re: Any Welders Out There?

Is City and Guilds NVQ 2 equivalant to a First Class Welder?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrA
Unless it has changed since I came here (long time ago),a 1st class welder is a time served welder.You can also be 1st class if you have 6 yrs experience in the trade,that you can prove.

I have city and guilds and technicians,then NDT certs,but that was off the job training at tech.Practical training was in the shipyard,Lloyds,MOD and ASME codes.I have no idea what NVQ's are.

If you are not time served then you are probably better off doing MIG.The CDT machines that are fairly common here are excellent,but not too good for flux cored or inner shield wires.Flux cored tends to run on lincoln plant and wire feeders.Most welders like the older LN9 feeders with the digital readout for volts/speed.

If you get here and use CDT plant always fully roll out the cables.Should they be coiled it tends to set up a secondary coil effect and throw the m/c out ,it runs crap.The programmes on the CDT are selectable,wire diameter/wire /gas mixture etc,it will then apply pulse should it be required.They run stainless very well.Run them on spray for normal welding and DIP for positional.i forget what the programme calls them,spray is the first one and Dip is around 5 or 6 down on selection (Stainless,Aluminium ,stick etc).Stick is probably under CC MODE ,to change the M/c from the CV mode needed for semi auto welding.
Good luck
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrA
Memory has kicked in a bit,on a CDT spray is probably called carbon steel wires and DIP would be called GMAW mode.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to disapoint but NVQ1 and 2 is not a first class welder. NVQ3 or city and guilds 229 fabrication and welding should be enough to gain trades recognition, with the necessary work experience.

Keel

Originally Posted by MrA
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Geordie

I've just started using CDT machines they're pretty good. Never heard that about the cables though.

Keel

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
Unless it has changed since I came here (long time ago),a 1st class welder is a time served welder.You can also be 1st class if you have 6 yrs experience in the trade,that you can prove.

I have city and guilds and technicians,then NDT certs,but that was off the job training at tech.Practical training was in the shipyard,Lloyds,MOD and ASME codes.I have no idea what NVQ's are.

If you are not time served then you are probably better off doing MIG.The CDT machines that are fairly common here are excellent,but not too good for flux cored or inner shield wires.Flux cored tends to run on lincoln plant and wire feeders.Most welders like the older LN9 feeders with the digital readout for volts/speed.

If you get here and use CDT plant always fully roll out the cables.Should they be coiled it tends to set up a secondary coil effect and throw the m/c out ,it runs crap.The programmes on the CDT are selectable,wire diameter/wire /gas mixture etc,it will then apply pulse should it be required.They run stainless very well.Run them on spray for normal welding and DIP for positional.i forget what the programme calls them,spray is the first one and Dip is around 5 or 6 down on selection (Stainless,Aluminium ,stick etc).Stick is probably under CC MODE ,to change the M/c from the CV mode needed for semi auto welding.
Good luck