Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Any Aircraft Maintenance Engineers?

Any Aircraft Maintenance Engineers?

Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

jobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to all
Default Any Aircraft Maintenance Engineers?

I'm looking into getting back to aircraft maintenance when I get to Aus and was just wondering if there was anyone out there now doing this type of work that can give me a little advice?

I served 14 years in the RAF as a propulsion engineer, fast jet gas turbine experience only, and reached supervisory status. I left in 1999, and haven't touched an aircraft since. Been employed building and testing high performance road car and racing engines including Formula 1, so I do now have extensive piston engine experience, which I guess could be carried over to piston aircraft as most F1 parts and tolerances are aircraft spec. anyway.

My question is do you need a licence to do any type of work on aircraft or is there a path into maintenance via an unlicenced route, then study for an engine licence whilst employed?

Also any rough ideas on what salary to expect would be helpful......

Thanks all.

BTW I'm loking to go to SA.