Advice on moving to USA

Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

rayroscoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on moving to USA

It maybe an impossible situation.

I would like to move to the USA. I am 54yrs, own my own business here and actually do a little work in the USA as a photographer. Although I have no formal qualifications, I have many years of self employed business experience from import/export, manufacturing, writing business manuals and training people/companies how to setup in the travel business, currently heavily involved in a computer maintenance business setup with a colleague, also working on an eShop at present.

I would be able to support myself in the USA working on a self-employed basis. Photography would be one area - www.englishphotographer.com is my web site in the Bay Area. Once settled there and happy, I would then sell assets here in the UK and releasing around $225,000 which would more that support me and give me money to play around with in business.

Failing the above, would I be able to work self-employed for say 6/12 months, if not, does anyone have any printable suggestions!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Last edited by rayroscoe; Sep 27th 2004 at 4:00 pm. Reason: missed out some info
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on moving to USA

Originally Posted by rayroscoe
It maybe an impossible situation.
Can't really help, but your best bet for info would be to post in the US Visa Forum.

And as far as I can tell, you wouldn't get a greencard from just investing into a business, so you wouldnt' be allowed to live here by owning one, also with an EAD, you wouldn't be allowed to work in it, but if I'm wrong, someone'll correct.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Can't really help, but your best bet for info would be to post in the US Visa Forum.

And as far as I can tell, you wouldn't get a greencard from just investing into a business, so you wouldnt' be allowed to live here by owning one, also with an EAD, you wouldn't be allowed to work in it, but if I'm wrong, someone'll correct.
Thank you for your reply and the advice. I will try the US Visa Forum. Thanks again.
-=ray
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob

Bob, a close friend of mine lives in the USA and has his own s/w business, would he be able to sponser me?
-=ray
Old Sep 27th 2004, 4:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rayroscoe
Bob, a close friend of mine lives in the USA and has his own s/w business, would he be able to sponser me?
-=ray
Would have to be a US Citizen to be honest, because being a PR, takes years, around 5-10yrs.