Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Working abroad.... Canada, Australia, USA?

Working abroad.... Canada, Australia, USA?

Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Samuelwood is just really niceSamuelwood is just really niceSamuelwood is just really niceSamuelwood is just really niceSamuelwood is just really niceSamuelwood is just really niceSamuelwood is just really niceSamuelwood is just really nice
Default Working abroad.... Canada, Australia, USA?

Hi all,

I am an assistant project manager (3-4 years experience) within the construction industry currently working in the UK. I am desperate to get abroad so thought I’d join British Expats for a bit of networking….

Sam
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working abroad....

Originally Posted by Samuelwood
Hi all,

I am an assistant project manager (3-4 years experience) within the construction industry currently working in the UK. I am desperate to get abroad so thought I’d join British Expats for a bit of networking….

Sam

Hello Sam and welcome.

We can probably help you figure out what type of visa you will need...but you'll need to give more information ie experience and qualifications. If you tell me what countries you are interested in moving to I will direct you to the correct forum/s.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Samuelwood is just really niceSamuelwood is just really niceSamuelwood is just really niceSamuelwood is just really niceSamuelwood is just really niceSamuelwood is just really niceSamuelwood is just really niceSamuelwood is just really nice

Hi,

Thanks for the swift reply!

I'm happy to work most places abroad, although preferably english speaking so my partner can find work easily.

My first choice would probably be Australia as I haven't managed to get to that part of the world yet. Then closely followed by Canada and the USA.

Sam
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. Take a mooch around the forum and you'll soon get an idea of what's going on. In each forum there is a Wiki section with lots of great articles on the country and immigration requirements. Once you have had a look through, dive in an ask any questions you may have.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I'm happy to work most places abroad, although preferably english speaking so my partner can find work easily.

My first choice would probably be Australia as I haven't managed to get to that part of the world yet. Then closely followed by Canada and the USA.

Sam

It's extremely difficult to work and live in the US. Take a look at this...basically if you don't fit into one of those categories you won't be moving to the US. Australia and Canada are far easier.

Here is the link to the main index page of our Australia forums. At the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums...the first being the Immigration forum...please post any immigration questions in there. The main forum is for topics relating to Australia and The Barbie if for general chit chat.

Click here and you will be redirected to the main index page of our Canada forums. Again you will find a similar list of sub forums at the top of the page. If you have any problems finding your way around the forums AmyDavid and The Aviator are concierges for the Canada forums...they will be pleased to help you find your way around. Unfortunately we do not have a concierge for the Australia forums...but any of our concierge team will be pleased to help you.

For any other problems or concerns please contact a moderator or admin. There is at least one moderator dedicated to each forum...you can find their names at the bottom right hand side of the forum's index page. Mods' names are in bold font and the concierges' names are in standard font.

Please give me a shout if you need any further help.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:17 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Sam
Welcome to BE

Well we have people from all corners of the globe here, so I am sure you will be able to pick a few brains.

I hope you enjoy your time on BE
Old Jun 26th 2010, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Working abroad.... Canada, Australia, USA?

Thanks everyone, you've been really helpful and it's good to feel welcome.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sam

Another welcome to BE! This website has fantastic firsthand information and will be a big help in your research. All the best in your quest.....

Cheers

Oggy
Old Jun 30th 2010, 11:47 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sam and welcome to BE!

I am in Canada and my OH is in the construction industry - let me know if I can help you out.

We are quite a helpful bunch on the Canada forum so come on over and meet us!

Old Jul 1st 2010, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the welcome.

If you or your other half have any recommendations for some decent recruitment consultancies within Canada I would really appreciate it. I've had a look online but there are quite a few job sites that appear to just take your CV and send it to every man and his dog, which isn't really what I want. I'd much rather know that my CV is going to the people I want it to go to.

Any other advice that you might have would be more than welcome too

Sam
Old Jul 7th 2010, 2:52 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Samuel

Just a little message to offer you a belated welcome to BE.
Good luck in finding the dream place

Dread - x