Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Winter in the warm!

Winter in the warm!

Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:57 am
Just Joined

BigFella is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Winter in the warm!

Not exactly an original topic I'm sure but I've browsed the forum for a while before registering and found it to be very useful so far (thanks )

The good lady and I, along with our two pooches, have decided to take a different pace of life, so we've gone self-employed again after a brief flirtation with 'proper' jobs with nearly two decades of business behind us. Life is too short and all that............

So, we've sold most of our expensive stuff, got rid of the debt and downscaled massively so we can realistically afford a few months in warmer climes over the lousy British winters. As we have two pooches, more like kids if truth be known, we have to consider their welfare with travelling distances and method.

So far it looks like Southern Spain (Malaga?) would be a good option for a few months in a static caravan; possibly December 'til April?

We wouldn't really have a need to work whilst we're Wintering but we're both young to tackle most types of work if needed and would have be interested in learning the language too

Anyway, thought I should introduce myself and say 'hello' and if you guys have any critique or pointers (first hand experience would be welcome) feel free to chip in.

Thanks
Old Dec 30th 2013, 9:32 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter in the warm!

Hello and welcome to BE.

Maybe have a nosey around the Spain forum to get some pointers on your plans.
Hope it all works out for you
P
Old Dec 30th 2013, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Persephone

It's been a daily read for a while now, so I'll carry on digging around and start a post asking for relevant guidance.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Having discovered Central Heating (unknown when I was a wee laddie) I find that these Offshore Islands are not bad in winter !

Why go to Spain when you can stray in Gorgeous Giggleswick ?
Old Dec 30th 2013, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Why go to Spain??
Because it's nice to go outside in the winter months as opposed to staying indoors in my already warm house. I'm looking to go somewhere warmer because I can, not because I need to
Old Dec 31st 2013, 12:24 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigFella

I'm looking to go somewhere warmer because I can, not because I need to
That seems perfectly reasonable to me welcome to the forum Bigfella from an ex Norfolk resident. Beautiful county but certainly a bit 'taters in the Winter eh.

Last edited by bakedbean; Dec 31st 2013 at 12:25 am. Reason: Added bit
Old Dec 31st 2013, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigFella
Not exactly an original topic I'm sure but I've browsed the forum for a while before registering and found it to be very useful so far (thanks )

The good lady and I, along with our two pooches, have decided to take a different pace of life, so we've gone self-employed again after a brief flirtation with 'proper' jobs with nearly two decades of business behind us. Life is too short and all that............

So, we've sold most of our expensive stuff, got rid of the debt and downscaled massively so we can realistically afford a few months in warmer climes over the lousy British winters. As we have two pooches, more like kids if truth be known, we have to consider their welfare with travelling distances and method.

So far it looks like Southern Spain (Malaga?) would be a good option for a few months in a static caravan; possibly December 'til April?

We wouldn't really have a need to work whilst we're Wintering but we're both young to tackle most types of work if needed and would have be interested in learning the language too

Anyway, thought I should introduce myself and say 'hello' and if you guys have any critique or pointers (first hand experience would be welcome) feel free to chip in.

Thanks
how ya dooing from one uld norfick boy to another , forget spain full of turists eating fish and chips . might as well go down to sarah janes in cromer or plattens in wells , come to itALY the thinking mans spain
good food good wine good people iam now orf to do a days troshin for nurthen
Old Dec 31st 2013, 8:39 am
Just Joined

The thinking man's Spain eh?

Talk to me about warm winter temperatures then, as my good lady could very easily be persuaded to accept Italia as plan B............she does demand warmth though!
Old Dec 31st 2013, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

here in abruzzo I hardly ever wear a coat our pullover we get lots of sun ,google the temps and compare with spain
sorry no bingo though
Old Jan 1st 2014, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you get a "FULL ENGLISH" ? and is the place full of English fools ?
Old Jan 1st 2014, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scot47
Can you get a "FULL ENGLISH" ? and is the place full of English fools ?
we are the only English for miles and if we want a chance from eating good mountane food we do make a full English breakfast but with Italian ingrediants , and iam the only English fool on the mountane