British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Where in the world for Mental Health (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/where-world-mental-health-826907/)

Lotusflower10 Feb 26th 2014 4:21 pm

Where in the world for Mental Health

Hello,

A bit ahead of myself as I have already embarked upon amassing facts for suitability of life in NZ (everyone so helpful and friendly and a huge reminder of one of the big things I miss when residing outside Britain, the British!) however, in so doing, I realized there may be other parts of the world that could work for me professionally and personally but of which I am unaware.

I am a psychoanalyst in my late 30´s who has spent a good part of life lived overseas. I´m desirous of a micro-world within which I can work, has good climate, outdoor lifestyle, broad-minded warm and friendly folk(bit too much to ask for I suspect). It would have to be an English speaking country that needs mental health professionals and that has a good standard of living overall that could be maintained on a single income.

Any general advice would be gratefully received in addition to any experiences on relocation packages, do they actually exist?

Thanks a lot

old.sparkles Feb 26th 2014 8:44 pm

Re: Where in the world for Mental Health

Originally Posted by Lotusflower10 (Post 11149614)
Hello,

A bit ahead of myself as I have already embarked upon amassing facts for suitability of life in NZ (everyone so helpful and friendly and a huge reminder of one of the big things I miss when residing outside Britain, the British!) however, in so doing, I realized there may be other parts of the world that could work for me professionally and personally but of which I am unaware.

I am a psychoanalyst in my late 30´s who has spent a good part of life lived overseas. I´m desirous of a micro-world within which I can work, has good climate, outdoor lifestyle, broad-minded warm and friendly folk(bit too much to ask for I suspect). It would have to be an English speaking country that needs mental health professionals and that has a good standard of living overall that could be maintained on a single income.

Any general advice would be gratefully received in addition to any experiences on relocation packages, do they actually exist?

Thanks a lot

Hi and welcome to BE :welcome:

As well as NZ, the usual English speaking destinations are Australia and Canada. For Australia, you would have to checks the skills list for your occupation to see if you could be eligible for a skills visa - lots of useful info in the Australian forums.

I would think it would be the same approach for Canada, and if interested I'm sure the members there can explain the process to you

bakedbean Feb 27th 2014 11:57 am

Singapore is also English speaking and has excellent health industry. We had someone post in the Singapore section a little while back looking at work in Singapore, though I have absolutely no idea how you go about it.

Lotusflower10 Feb 27th 2014 1:17 pm

Hello Old.Sparkles, Thank you for the welcome.

Singapore, interesting thought, thanks for that Bakedbean.

All good wishes,