British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Warm thoughts of a better life in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/warm-thoughts-better-life-australia-871215/)

Davidmccaw Jan 24th 2016 2:12 pm

Warm thoughts of a better life in Australia

Hi folks, newbie on hear and come in search of worldly wisdom.

Been thinking about emigrating for a long time now with my partner and two boys, for want of a better life for them and our selfs as well. I've got a lot of questions but as this is just for introductions I'll just keep this for saying hello and I hope you are a friendly bunch with plenty of knowledge.

Pollyana Jan 24th 2016 2:30 pm

Re: Warm thoughts of a better life in Australia

Originally Posted by Davidmccaw (Post 11846647)
Hi folks, newbie on hear and come in search of worldly wisdom.

Been thinking about emigrating for a long time now with my partner and two boys, for want of a better life for them and our selfs as well. I've got a lot of questions but as this is just for introductions I'll just keep this for saying hello and I hope you are a friendly bunch with plenty of knowledge.

Welcome to BE :)

Pop in to our Australian forum here - and feel free to start asking questions - life in Australia ius certainly different, whether its better is open to debate!! Have you looked into getting a visa yet? Our Immigration forum here can help you out if you have any queries.

Davidmccaw Jan 24th 2016 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11846654)
Welcome to BE :)

Pop in to our Australian forum here - and feel free to start asking questions - life in Australia ius certainly different, whether its better is open to debate!! Have you looked into getting a visa yet? Our Immigration forum here can help you out if you have any queries.

Hi Pollyana, yeah I've looked in to the visas though it's still a lot of info to work though my thoughts is to let a migration firm take care of everything for me. As far as I know my skill is in demand in Australia but with no paper qualifications I think I'm looking at a student visa to start with and taking enough money for the first year plus my partners income to see us though my course

verystormy Jan 25th 2016 10:35 pm

First, just because your occupation is on the list does not mean your skill is in demand. The two have little bearing on each other. My occupation is on the list still, but we have 40% unemployment.

Engineering generally is in a downturn in Australia and has been for a little while and is likely to be for some time yet due to the resources downturn.

Second, what makes you think oz will give them a better life? Oz is just another first world country with the same issues. High unemployment for young people, kids leaving Uni with big debts unable to get work, drugs, violence, gangs and everything else.

bakedbean Jan 26th 2016 6:41 am

Wow, verystormy, what a negative post :lol:

I'm sure that the poster will do own research and make up own mind. Yes, there are Pros and Cons to all countries. Most of us know that :sneaky:

Pollyana Jan 26th 2016 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 11848412)
Wow, verystormy, what a negative post :lol:

I'm sure that the poster will do own research and make up own mind. Yes, there are Pros and Cons to all countries. Most of us know that :sneaky:

Its actually very realistic. Engineering and related industries get mentioned on here frequently but the reality is that they are in a downturn and jobs are very hard to come by even for people who are already here, never mind for those who have no Australian job background.
That, and the other comments from verystormy, are all totally honest facts.

I would still say to the OP to do more research, but there's no point in glossing over the fact that Australia has unemployment, drug problems, etc etc. Its a different life, not necessarily a better one. As the OP is posting in the Aus forum I',m sure they'll get a realistic picture :)

paulry Jan 26th 2016 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11848694)
Its actually very realistic. Engineering and related industries get mentioned on here frequently but the reality is that they are in a downturn and jobs are very hard to come by even for people who are already here, never mind for those who have no Australian job background.
That, and the other comments from verystormy, are all totally honest facts.

I would still say to the OP to do more research, but there's no point in glossing over the fact that Australia has unemployment, drug problems, etc etc. Its a different life, not necessarily a better one. As the OP is posting in the Aus forum I',m sure they'll get a realistic picture :)

Yep, it is very realistic. Your occupation appearing on the jobs in demand list does not necessarily mean you can walk straight into a job and in a high unemployment environment those who "have local experience" get the jobs first.