Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Warm thoughts of a better life in Australia

Warm thoughts of a better life in Australia

Old Jan 24th 2016, 2:12 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 4
Davidmccaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Warm thoughts of a better life in Australia

Hi folks, newbie on hear and come in search of worldly wisdom.

Been thinking about emigrating for a long time now with my partner and two boys, for want of a better life for them and our selfs as well. I've got a lot of questions but as this is just for introductions I'll just keep this for saying hello and I hope you are a friendly bunch with plenty of knowledge.
Davidmccaw is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2016, 2:30 pm
  #2  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,371
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warm thoughts of a better life in Australia

Originally Posted by Davidmccaw View Post
Hi folks, newbie on hear and come in search of worldly wisdom.

Been thinking about emigrating for a long time now with my partner and two boys, for want of a better life for them and our selfs as well. I've got a lot of questions but as this is just for introductions I'll just keep this for saying hello and I hope you are a friendly bunch with plenty of knowledge.
Welcome to BE

Pop in to our Australian forum here - and feel free to start asking questions - life in Australia ius certainly different, whether its better is open to debate!! Have you looked into getting a visa yet? Our Immigration forum here can help you out if you have any queries.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2016, 2:38 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 4
Davidmccaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Warm thoughts of a better life in Australia

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Welcome to BE

Pop in to our Australian forum here - and feel free to start asking questions - life in Australia ius certainly different, whether its better is open to debate!! Have you looked into getting a visa yet? Our Immigration forum here can help you out if you have any queries.
Hi Pollyana, yeah I've looked in to the visas though it's still a lot of info to work though my thoughts is to let a migration firm take care of everything for me. As far as I know my skill is in demand in Australia but with no paper qualifications I think I'm looking at a student visa to start with and taking enough money for the first year plus my partners income to see us though my course
Davidmccaw is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2016, 10:35 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
verystormy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3,150
verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warm thoughts of a better life in Australia

First, just because your occupation is on the list does not mean your skill is in demand. The two have little bearing on each other. My occupation is on the list still, but we have 40% unemployment.

Engineering generally is in a downturn in Australia and has been for a little while and is likely to be for some time yet due to the resources downturn.

Second, what makes you think oz will give them a better life? Oz is just another first world country with the same issues. High unemployment for young people, kids leaving Uni with big debts unable to get work, drugs, violence, gangs and everything else.
verystormy is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:41 am
  #5  
Is
 
bakedbean's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Far North Queensland
Posts: 17,615
bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warm thoughts of a better life in Australia

Wow, verystormy, what a negative post

I'm sure that the poster will do own research and make up own mind. Yes, there are Pros and Cons to all countries. Most of us know that
bakedbean is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2016, 12:32 pm
  #6  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,371
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warm thoughts of a better life in Australia

Originally Posted by bakedbean View Post
Wow, verystormy, what a negative post

I'm sure that the poster will do own research and make up own mind. Yes, there are Pros and Cons to all countries. Most of us know that
Its actually very realistic. Engineering and related industries get mentioned on here frequently but the reality is that they are in a downturn and jobs are very hard to come by even for people who are already here, never mind for those who have no Australian job background.
That, and the other comments from verystormy, are all totally honest facts.

I would still say to the OP to do more research, but there's no point in glossing over the fact that Australia has unemployment, drug problems, etc etc. Its a different life, not necessarily a better one. As the OP is posting in the Aus forum I',m sure they'll get a realistic picture
Pollyana is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2016, 4:59 pm
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,553
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warm thoughts of a better life in Australia

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Its actually very realistic. Engineering and related industries get mentioned on here frequently but the reality is that they are in a downturn and jobs are very hard to come by even for people who are already here, never mind for those who have no Australian job background.
That, and the other comments from verystormy, are all totally honest facts.

I would still say to the OP to do more research, but there's no point in glossing over the fact that Australia has unemployment, drug problems, etc etc. Its a different life, not necessarily a better one. As the OP is posting in the Aus forum I',m sure they'll get a realistic picture
Yep, it is very realistic. Your occupation appearing on the jobs in demand list does not necessarily mean you can walk straight into a job and in a high unemployment environment those who "have local experience" get the jobs first.
paulry is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.