Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Wanting to go to US or Oz

Wanting to go to US or Oz

Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

chris_71080 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Wanting to go to US or Oz

I went to California last year and loved it. It would be a dream to go there to live but I am giving myself options as I fancy Australia too. I've looked on emigration websites and they all seem to want your money first before just giving me the simple bit of guidance and advice I want. I need to know whether my occupation and personal position allow me to qualify for a visa and if not, is there another way I could qualify. I'm not keen on handing over money if there's no certainty of a result at the end of it. Failing going to America, my next choice is Australia. Again I've looked into this and to work as an electrician over there, I'm required to take a course to make me eligible which is quite expensive. Is there a way of getting funding for this? Once I've done that, then what? Please, please help me!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:04 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to go to US or Oz

Originally Posted by chris_71080
I went to California last year and loved it. It would be a dream to go there to live but I am giving myself options as I fancy Australia too. I've looked on emigration websites and they all seem to want your money first before just giving me the simple bit of guidance and advice I want. I need to know whether my occupation and personal position allow me to qualify for a visa and if not, is there another way I could qualify. I'm not keen on handing over money if there's no certainty of a result at the end of it. Failing going to America, my next choice is Australia. Again I've looked into this and to work as an electrician over there, I'm required to take a course to make me eligible which is quite expensive. Is there a way of getting funding for this? Once I've done that, then what? Please, please help me!
You'd have to get used to doing that quite a lot in the US.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris

Welcome to BE. I recommend you spend some time reading through the US and Australia forums to try and get some kind of an idea as to what is involved in the immigration process.

The US is extremely difficult to get into, I expect most people have either married an American or move with an employer or find an employer. Australia is much easier, although there are still hurdles.

It can be an expensive process and unless you can find an employer who is willing to pay for everything, you would have to pick up the costs yourself.

Good luck.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 5:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Chris and welcome.

I'm sorry but from what you've told us I think there is very little chance of you moving to the US...unless you have an immediate family member who is a US citizen...you marry an American or you are eligible for the Diversity Lottery. Take a look through this to see if you would qualify for a visa.

Sorry I live in the US and don't know anything about Australian Immigration. Here is the link to our Australia Immigration Forum...perhaps you could ask about eligibility in there.

Also take a look at the BE Wiki...there is probably information in there that you may find useful.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

I'm sorry but from what you've told us I think there is very little chance of you moving to the US...unless you have an immediate family member who is a US citizen...you marry an American or you are eligible for the Diversity Lottery. Take a look through this to see if you would qualify for a visa.

Sorry I live in the US and don't know anything about Australian Immigration. Here is the link to our Australia Immigration Forum...perhaps you could ask about eligibility in there.

Also take a look at the BE Wiki...there is probably information in there that you may find useful.

Thank you for the advice. The more I look into it, the less my chances of going to America appear. Where in Yorkshire are you from by the way? I live in doncaster.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the advice. The more I look into it, the less my chances of going to America appear. Where in Yorkshire are you from by the way? I live in doncaster.
I'm originally from Sheffield.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 1:50 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris,

I've got nothing to add, as our wonderfully helpful members have beat me to it, but just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

I hope you enjoy using the site.

Sue
Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm originally from Sheffield.
Not far away then. Well I hope your doing well for yourself over there. I am jealous but I believe in fate and if I'm meant to go to America I'm sure it will happen. Good luck and cheers
Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Not far away then. Well I hope your doing well for yourself over there. I am jealous but I believe in fate and if I'm meant to go to America I'm sure it will happen. Good luck and cheers
I'm a great believer in fate too Chris. England is a great country...sometimes one has to live elsewhere to appreciate it.

Have you considered Canada? My daughter lives in Toronto so we spend quite a bit of time there...in many ways it's just like being in the US. I'm not sure how easy it would be for you to live there...if you're interested take a look at our Canada Forums?
Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm a great believer in fate too Chris. England is a great country...sometimes one has to live elsewhere to appreciate it.

Have you considered Canada? My daughter lives in Toronto so we spend quite a bit of time there...in many ways it's just like being in the US. I'm not sure how easy it would be for you to live there...if you're interested take a look at our Canada Forums?
I have thought about Canada in the past but I was told they have really cold winters which put me off a bit as one thing I'm looking for is a more warmer climate. Having said that though I've never been and you can't always believe what people say.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 5:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I have thought about Canada in the past but I was told they have really cold winters which put me off a bit as one thing I'm looking for is a more warmer climate. Having said that though I've never been and you can't always believe what people say.
Western Canada has a more temperate climate. I've never been to Vancouver but it's supposed to be beautiful and a great place to live. Speaking only of Toronto...yes the winters are usually very cold with lots of snow...as is much of the NE and mid west US. The summers are usually hot at humid.

For the first couple of years my daughter found the winters cold but I think it's something you get used to. Now I find myself saying to her 'Shouldn't you put a long winter coat on' or 'Are you going out without a scarf and gloves'. She just rolls her eyes at me.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Western Canada isn't so bad...worth considering and looking at the wiki/immigration forums for Canada too...