Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Virginia Beach - here we come!

Virginia Beach - here we come!

Old May 21st 2010, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

AngelaPat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Virginia Beach - here we come!

Hi, we are currenly living in Woking in Surrey, UK and are in the process of obtaining a green card through my husband's parents. We are hoping to move towards the end of the year and have decided that Virginia Beach looks like our kind of place - nice weather, nice beaches and hopefully nice people too!
Old May 21st 2010, 5:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virginia Beach - here we come!

Hi there AngelaPat and welcome to our cyber community of expats.

I'm a little north of you in New Jersey...the state of hot, humid summers and cold, snowy winters. I've never been to Virginia Beach but a move south to get away from the freezing temperatures in winter is very appealing.

Click here and you will be redirected to the main page of our US Forums. You will see a list of the US sub forums at the top of the page...if you have any questions regarding the immigration process please post them in the Immigration Forum. We have many knowledgeable people who post in there and they will help guide you along what is sometimes a long and difficult path. The main US Forums is to discuss US related topics...The Trailer Park is for general chit chat.

We have a huge number of British expats...along with several other nationalities including American who frequent the US Forums. It's a nice place to be when you're feeling a little homesick and need a Britfix...or indeed if you just want to hang out. So why don't you head over there and take a look around?

If you need any assistance please contact a mod or admin...we will be pleased to help you.
Old May 21st 2010, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the warm welcome! My in-laws stay in Clinton, New Jersey and the cold winters were the main reason we decided not to live in NJ. We are originally from South Africa but have lived in the UK for 10 years, and we really need to get to a warmer climate!
Thanks for all the interesting info on this amazing site.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:59 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

hello,
I used to live in VA Beach, and I think you will like it...it actually has seasons...can get a bit hot and humid in the summer..

Be prepared for some quirky stuff, Virginia being a commonwealth and all...but very nice people.

I've heard they've developed a lot since I left (12 years ago), but sheesh look at what you will be near...Williamsburg is absolutely beautiful..DC is just up the road...beautiful beaches...The carolinas...lighthouses..you will love it.

Lots of History..Yorktown battlefield is just down the road too...Jamestown...I could go on and on...good choice of a place to live.

I would only say this...Norfolk can be a bit dodgy...but you wont be living there so who cares)))
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:57 am
Just Joined

Wow, it sounds great! The more hot and humid the better! Thanks for the info, it's really nice to hear from someone who has lived there.
Old May 22nd 2010, 3:04 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AngelaPat
Wow, it sounds great! The more hot and humid the better! Thanks for the info, it's really nice to hear from someone who has lived there.

I'm sure you have looked at this link already:

http://www.vabeach.com/

If you want advice on neighborhoods, its always a good idea to call the VA Beach PD/City itself or look at their website:

http://www.vbgov.com/

good luck...
Old May 22nd 2010, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
hello,
I used to live in VA Beach, and I think you will like it...it actually has seasons...can get a bit hot and humid in the summer..

Be prepared for some quirky stuff, Virginia being a commonwealth and all...but very nice people.

I've heard they've developed a lot since I left (12 years ago), but sheesh look at what you will be near...Williamsburg is absolutely beautiful..DC is just up the road...beautiful beaches...The carolinas...lighthouses..you will love it.

Lots of History..Yorktown battlefield is just down the road too...Jamestown...I could go on and on...good choice of a place to live.

I would only say this...Norfolk can be a bit dodgy...but you wont be living there so who cares)))
Had to laugh because all the good things you described are outside Virginia Beach. The city caters to the tourists. Humidity gets old. They have been building a fake "downtown", and ofcourse always upgrading the oceanfront for the tourists. The Ghent area of Norfolk is lovely. You even get the all American school bomb plot in Virginia Beach, my DD's school was days away from being blown up when the plot was discovered. Be ready to "support the troops", the military is shoved down your throat 24/7. Also enjoy the "sound of freedom" aka jets if you live in the Oceana flight path. Mount Trashmore park is a must (and really quite nice), big mound of landfill trash made into a park. The pay around here is generally below average too, hope it won't be a problem for you. Mustn't forget fireants, they have made there way into the area, horrible things. Welcome.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rginia%20Beach

Last edited by bevinva; May 22nd 2010 at 4:25 pm.
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm well I shall be in Hampton Roads area from October, so some of this I know and some I guess I will be new to! It is a pretty part of the world though and like most others has it's ups and downs, but beaches, water, greenery, history and shopping ........... it's not the worst part of USA to end up in!
Old May 22nd 2010, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody Hell!! and there I was trying to be positive...you rained all over my parade
I just feel that if you don't have to come here because this is where your job is there are probably better places to go, housing is quite expensive here compared to wages. A friend of ours went to university in Richmond, VA and stayed there, he thinks it is much more affordable there. As we all know whatever tourist places there are in your area will get old when each time you have visitors they will want to go and see them.
Old May 22nd 2010, 6:52 pm
Not around much..

Originally Posted by bevinva
I just feel that if you don't have to come here because this is where your job is there are probably better places to go, housing is quite expensive here compared to wages. A friend of ours went to university in Richmond, VA and stayed there, he thinks it is much more affordable there. As we all know whatever tourist places there are in your area will get old when each time you have visitors they will want to go and see them.
Very good point..

p.s. Richmond has real Ghettos...but a lovely city..
Old May 22nd 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Very good point..

p.s. Richmond has real Ghettos...but a lovely city..
From what I understand people are fixing up a lot of the older houses in Richmond, that appeals to me. Our friend has seen crime go down in the few years he has been there. At least with a real ghetto you can tell what it is, sometimes around here you can't tell it's a bad neighbourhood until you're in it.
Old May 23rd 2010, 4:04 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

woking eh? our last home in the UK was in sunny Addlestone
Hope you enjoy the US!