Tumble-weed

Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Skelm is just really niceSkelm is just really niceSkelm is just really niceSkelm is just really niceSkelm is just really niceSkelm is just really niceSkelm is just really niceSkelm is just really nice
Default Tumble-weed

Hiya, I am a woman who has lived in many countries and continents.
I am not British but my husband is/was a British subject.
He was born in Southern Rhodesia, grew up in Northern Rhodesia, left Zambia to Rhodesia, fought a war and in 1980 I went to the British Embassy to ask if he could have a British passport. Learned that because his father was born in Southern Rhodesia in 1926, he was not entitled for a passport as the country was independent since 1923! Politics

Never lived in Britain but know many British. And this forum seems to give good information about many countries.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tumble-weed

Originally Posted by Skelm
Hiya, I am a woman who has lived in many countries and continents.
I am not British but my husband is/was a British subject.
He was born in Southern Rhodesia, grew up in Northern Rhodesia, left Zambia to Rhodesia, fought a war and in 1980 I went to the British Embassy to ask if he could have a British passport. Learned that because his father was born in Southern Rhodesia in 1926, he was not entitled for a passport as the country was independent since 1923! Politics

Never lived in Britain but know many British. And this forum seems to give good information about many countries.
Hello Tumbleweed...welcome to BE.

We have many non British members...so you are not alone.

Here is the link to the Africa forums...why don't you pop over there, take a look around and join in? Of course you are very welcome to join in any of the BE forums.

BE is a large expat website...so it's understandable that you may have problems finding your way around our many forums. We have a team of concierges who will direct you around the website. You can find a list of their names at the bottom right hand side of this page.

For all other problems or concerns please contact a moderator...their names are located at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index page. Moderators' names are in bold font.

I hope you enjoy being part of our community...in the meantime if you require help at all please shout out. Welcome once again.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:29 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Skelm

Welcome to BE
You are spot on re the politics - everywhere has them!!!! I am normally found lurking on the Goa forum, and India has some of the most ridiculous bureaucracy in the world!!

You don't have to be Brit to be here - you are very welcome whatever your nationality. I am sure you have lots to offer, especially for new folks heading to Africa. Local knowledge is invaluable.
I see Jerseygirl has pointed you towards the African forum, so I hope you have popped in there and introduced yourself, as it is a great forum.

The main thing is, join in and have lots of fun - but be warned BE is addictive!!!

Dread - x

Last edited by dreadsoc; Mar 19th 2011 at 8:32 am.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Skelm is just really niceSkelm is just really niceSkelm is just really niceSkelm is just really niceSkelm is just really niceSkelm is just really niceSkelm is just really niceSkelm is just really nice

Thank you for the welcome note.
I am Dutch, born in Suriname South America,
lived in Holland in different places, Texas, Switzerland, Belgium, Rhodesia-Zimbabwe and now in Portugal.

Been looking at the Dutch forum and can give some information there as well.
I don't want to live in Holland any more but Portugal is getting sucked into the EU nightmare. Where to go next? Back to the country of my birth?
Will read the many forums here and dive in.

My sister in law lives in the UK and I learned about Rugby and Cricket, like roasts but don't like gravy. Love London and Wiltshire and Sudbury.
Many friends from Zimbabwe moved to the UK.

That is why I am a tumble-weed, no roots.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

PS, I asked the British Embassy in 1980 why they put their noses in, in 1965 if the country was independent since 1923...no comment..
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the welcome note.
I am Dutch, born in Suriname South America,
lived in Holland in different places, Texas, Switzerland, Belgium, Rhodesia-Zimbabwe and now in Portugal.

Been looking at the Dutch forum and can give some information there as well.
I don't want to live in Holland any more but Portugal is getting sucked into the EU nightmare. Where to go next? Back to the country of my birth?
Will read the many forums here and dive in.

My sister in law lives in the UK and I learned about Rugby and Cricket, like roasts but don't like gravy. Love London and Wiltshire and Sudbury.
Many friends from Zimbabwe moved to the UK.

That is why I am a tumble-weed, no roots.
Crickey you have moved around haven't you? I love the name tumble-weed...that would have been a great username.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

It would be but Skelm was my nickname in Africa.
It means someone who is naughty or cheely or does things that normal people won't do.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It would be but Skelm was my nickname in Africa.
It means someone who is naughty or cheely or does things that normal people won't do.
You'll fit right in here then.