Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Thinking about buying in France from UK

Thinking about buying in France from UK

Old Jun 1st 2018, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Shansiggers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about buying in France from UK

Hi, I'm Shan and this time last week I had never thought about moving to France!!! Now having seen a property my husband has hit the 'all systems go button'. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about moving to France, good and bad.
Very excited and nervous at the prospect. Particularly interested in any information on moving my horse to France, I'm not going if she cant go :-)
Old Jun 1st 2018, 1:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about buying in France from UK

Good morning!

When hubby hits that button, time to move out of the way and gather info as quickly as possible. Not only information but the correct information. I suggest that you post in our France forum for those answers. http://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/

Please have a read of our site rules which were designed to make BE a nice place to visit. http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/

Best wishes to you both.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Communicative competence in French is important. Sorry for stating the obvious but i have met so many from The Anglosphere who cannot or will not learn the dominant language in the country they settle in.

It is also important to have an exit strategy. What will you do if it all goes wrong and you want to leave ? There are many possible scenarios. One that is very frequent - when people migrate as a couple. One dies and the survivor cannot cope . What happnes then ?

Last edited by scot47; Jun 2nd 2018 at 7:42 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 7:45 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shansiggers
Hi, I'm Shan and this time last week I had never thought about moving to France!!! Now having seen a property my husband has hit the 'all systems go button'. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about moving to France, good and bad.
Very excited and nervous at the prospect. Particularly interested in any information on moving my horse to France, I'm not going if she cant go :-)
Hi again! I was concentrating on the horse issue and didn't notice that you've seen a property. In your other thread, you're "looking around" for property....
Let us know whether you've visited the property on the spot and have decided on it, or whether you simply saw it advertized.
When posting again on the France forum, please give all the info that we've asked for, in order to give you the correct advice! Take a look in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs in the top section of the France forum, some of which might be out of date, but ET's recent links are valid if you're going to be "inactifs".
Old Jun 8th 2018, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

mushmonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
If you'd like to live in France, you'll definitely need to have a good competency in the language. This is the first thing I can recommend
Old Jun 9th 2018, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Shansiggers is an unknown quantity at this point

We’ve seen a property we are very keen on but as it’s the first property we saw I’m insisting on looking around before we make a final decision. Also need to do more research on all the processes and procedures before i’ll Jump in.
Husbands speaks French i’m currently wired to ‘Learn French’podcasts 24/7 !!!
Old Jun 9th 2018, 3:47 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shansiggers
We’ve seen a property we are very keen on but as it’s the first property we saw I’m insisting on looking around before we make a final decision. Also need to do more research on all the processes and procedures before i’ll Jump in.
Husbands speaks French i’m currently wired to ‘Learn French’podcasts 24/7 !!!
Hi, you should continue posting in the France forum, as this is a world-wide introduction forum and not everyone looks in!
Indispensable to look around before deciding, and good that your husband(s) speaks French, but you must speak a minimum for when you're on your own....
See you on the France forum!