Reload this Page >

From Scotland UK - Canada

From Scotland UK - Canada

Old Oct 12th 2015, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Scottishwildcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From Scotland UK - Canada

Hi,

Hi Folks!! Thanks for having me on your Forum. I apologise up front if I do not ask the "right" questions but I hope I ask the questions that is appropriate to a newbie, that is, until I graduate to a fully fledged Wise Owl, then the questions or posts might not be so....newbie!

I live in Scotland. I have a child of 4 years old and a partner that I would be emigrating to Canada with. As a family, none of us have friends or family in Canada so we really would be starting from scratch.

As a mum to my 4 year old, I do not work but stay at home to look after my daughter. My partner works with a train company as a Supervisor in the Customer Services sector.

Everyone keeps telling me that without a degree, a skill or both parents working we would not get a visa to settle in Canada. However, I have an interest in Holistic Nursing, which, since researching this particular field, I know that Canada is a leader on this particular job front and the UK is not, therfore, studying Holistic Nursing in the UK is not an option as it doesn't seem an easily identifiable route here. I have already contacted CHNA (Canadian Holistic Nursing Association) and they had told me that Langara College, Vancouver is the best place to apply to begin your basic nursing and then move onto Holistic Nursing.

I will probably have to apply for a visa through the student route, however, my partner, investigated Via Rail and they haven't any jobs in the sector he's experienced in, however the freight train sector is probably a better field with better pay but allot more hard work for him with on call 24hrs consistently which wouldn't make for a work life balance.

First question is:

If my partner couldn't get a job through his line of work would he be able to get an allowance through the state until he found something that would sustain us?

Second question:

Once my partner got a job in Canada. Can he claim state pension?

Third Question:

What are your ideas or advice on how I best emigrate?

I'm looking for a completely fresh start due to my dad dying recently and also to provide a better life for my daughter and Canada is the place I hope to do that in.

Thanks for reading and I do hope I haven't evoked too much sarcasm!!
Old Oct 13th 2015, 9:05 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From Scotland UK - Canada

Hello and welcome to the forum

Your best bet is to re-post in the Canada section of the forum and see if any of our Canada residents can advise you. You can follow this link below:
Canada - British Expats

Hope it works out for you.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada wants immigrants with skills and training. Why not train as a nurse in Scotland and then consider emigrating ? I do not mean "Holistic Nursing" but the mainstream occupation.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 12:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Scottishwildcat
Hi Folks!! Thanks for having me on your Forum. I apologise up front if I do not ask the "right" questions but I hope I ask the questions that is appropriate to a newbie, that is, until I graduate to a fully fledged Wise Owl, then the questions or posts might not be so....newbie!
Don't worry, we've all been the newbies once and asked those questions!

I have already contacted CHNA (Canadian Holistic Nursing Association) and they had told me that Langara College, Vancouver is the best place to apply to begin your basic nursing and then move onto Holistic Nursing.
I've just checked, and that is a Designated Learning Institution, so you could get a study permit to do your degree. A study permit isn't a cheap way of moving as you have to pay international tuition fees, but if you want to move to Canada then I don't see much point in studying in the UK, as you'd then have to go through a lot of hassle and cost (not to mention a potential year+ wait) to become licensed to work in Canada.

If my partner couldn't get a job through his line of work would he be able to get an allowance through the state until he found something that would sustain us?
No. To qualify for EI (unemployment benefit) he'd need to have worked in Canada first. I think it's at least a year of work first iirc? Canada isn't like the UK when it comes to benefits, so you won't get things like child benefit or unemployment benefit straight away.

Once my partner got a job in Canada. Can he claim state pension?
Eventually, yes, but again he'd have to work for quite some time and pay in to the scheme first. His CPP contributions will be deducted from his wages, and he could then claim a pension when the time comes - how much he would get would depend on how many years he's paid in for, just as in the UK.

What are your ideas or advice on how I best emigrate?
A study permit seems the obvious solution to me, unless you qualify for Express Entry? Have a look at that route, and if you score above 67 as a Federal Skilled Worker, then you could apply for PR (the benefit of that being that as a PR of Canada, you wouldn't have to pay international tuition fees). You'd then need above approx 450 on the CRS to be in with a chance of being selected from the pool of applicants.

I'm looking for a completely fresh start due to my dad dying recently and also to provide a better life for my daughter and Canada is the place I hope to do that in.
Don't discount other areas of the UK though - my guess would be that by the time you've paid your moving fees, set up costs and tuition fees, you'll need approx £50k or so, and a move within the UK could well achieve the same things but without needing to spend anywhere near so much. Do move if you love Canada, but it won't necessarily give your daughter a better life, so best to move for the 'pull' factor rather than the 'push'.

Come and join us in the Canada forums, hope to see you there. Best of luck.