Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Opening a British Bank account

Opening a British Bank account

Old Jul 30th 2018, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Spenser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening a British Bank account

I am British Citizen who lives in Los Angeles and would like to open a British Bank account as I have family there and visit often. I have tried twice now once on my own and was declined as I was non resident and once for a joint bank account with my brother and was declined again. Any advice? Can I open one in Guernsey will less problems ? I would be very grateful for any advice and also any British groups in LA .

Thanks
Old Jul 30th 2018, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a British Bank account

From what I understand, in principle UK banks dont want customers who are non resident, principally because of the onerous regulations they must comply with regarding money laundering and tax evasion. I’ve read of a number of examples of Brits who have had UK accounts for many years, receiving letters, asking them to withdraw their funds. If you are a US resident, you stand no chance, as the US reporting requirements are excessive and not worth the hassle. About all I can suggest is you think about say HSBC Jersey, which is about as close to having a UK bank account, as you will find.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 2:12 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Have you had a UK account in the past?
Old Jul 31st 2018, 11:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spenser
I am British Citizen who lives in Los Angeles and would like to open a British Bank account as I have family there and visit often. I have tried twice now once on my own and was declined as I was non resident and once for a joint bank account with my brother and was declined again. Any advice? Can I open one in Guernsey will less problems ? I would be very grateful for any advice and also any British groups in LA .

Thanks
Hi...welcome to BE.

As this forum is purely to welcome new members to our forums...I suggest you post your questions in our Moving Back To The UK Forum. You will get a much better response there!

https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/

Please give me a shout should you need help with any site related problems.