Reload this Page >

Newbies -Portugal Trial Run

Newbies -Portugal Trial Run

Old Aug 19th 2013, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Houghfamily1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Newbies -Portugal Trial Run

Hi
We are going to be renting in Portugal for 9 months , in the town of Tavira. Trialling to see if we like living there apposed to holidaying. My husband is still working for UK company and will be commuting. He will not be in Portugal for more than 183 days for either 2013 or 2014 so will not be registering as resident for tax purposes. We are going to rent car so don't have to worry about 183 day rule for UK vehicle.

What we are not sure about is the 3 month rule, neither of us will be in Portugal continuously for the 9 months, will be back in UK every so often. If we keep each stint below the 3 months do we still need to register with local council, or does the fact that we have signed a rental contract for 9 months mean we must register and is there any benefit to registering.

We do not wish to break any rules, but are keen to limit ourselves until we know if we wish to live in Portugal permanently.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 10:39 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies -Portugal Trial Run

Originally Posted by Houghfamily1
Hi
We are going to be renting in Portugal for 9 months , in the town of Tavira. Trialling to see if we like living there apposed to holidaying. My husband is still working for UK company and will be commuting. He will not be in Portugal for more than 183 days for either 2013 or 2014 so will not be registering as resident for tax purposes. We are going to rent car so don't have to worry about 183 day rule for UK vehicle.

What we are not sure about is the 3 month rule, neither of us will be in Portugal continuously for the 9 months, will be back in UK every so often. If we keep each stint below the 3 months do we still need to register with local council, or does the fact that we have signed a rental contract for 9 months mean we must register and is there any benefit to registering.

We do not wish to break any rules, but are keen to limit ourselves until we know if we wish to live in Portugal permanently.
Hi Houghfamily1 and welcome to BE

I can see you've found your way down to the Portugal section, and the guys down there are the best ones to give advice on your questions. Good luck though
Old Aug 19th 2013, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Houghfamily1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the welcome "Old Sparkles",

I'm relying on the Portugal guys knowing their stuff!

Cheers
Old Aug 19th 2013, 12:48 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there and welcome to the forum

I went to Tavira many years ago .....lovely town....can understand you wishing to,live there full time. All the best with that.